“Fresh made, delicious pasta”

Bencotto Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Bencotto Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 4,989 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: India Street/Kettner Blvd.
Reviewed May 6, 2014

We sat on the patio at Bencotto and enjoyed a delicious meal and beautiful views of the harbor. The food did not disappoint. It was nice being able to customize the pasta dishes to be exactly what you wanted. We also had the riso fritto (saffron flavored, fried balls of risotto). All of the food was good and the staff was attentive. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars because I expected more based on the reviews... potentially unrealistic expectations but I have had better Italian food.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

I visited Bencotto while on a business trip last week. I pulled up Trip Advisor, saw the rating of 4.5 of 5, and gave it a shot.

On the way into the restaurant, the hostess pointed out all of Bencotto's accolades from the local newspaper. She then told us that they're "expecting another award this year too." While I appreciate passion for your work and company, let the meal speak for itself.

The restaurant atmosphere was decent and the staff was attentive. There were no problems there. However, the food was much to be desired. I had the spinach gnocchi and couldn't even finish it. It was one gummy, almost gelatinous, blob of food. The spicy sausage sauce that I chose was decent, but not very spicy at all. My colleague tried to have two different menu items that the restaurant was out of. On his third try, he ended up with a ravioli with a pesto sauce that was average in his words.

All in all, we couldn't figure out why this restaurant was rated as it was. Sure, they have a good location in Little Italy and the staff does a good job, but the food wasn't anything to get excited about. I'm not sure I'd ever even go back. There are plenty of other places in Little Italy that I've found better on previous trips.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Wow. Wow. Wow. Bencotto never fails when it comes to outstanding food and service. An overall great dining experience. My partner and I went to Bencotto for a special occasion last eve. Another scrumptious meal. He had the Ossobuco and I had the Lamb Tagliatelle. Both fantastic and tasty. Our server David was fun, prompt, very attentive but not intrusive. Thank you Bencotto for another outstanding evening. We will be back.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Read all the great reviews and went with another couple. I ordered Osso Bucco and enjoyed it. The three others each ordered a different pasta dish and none of them finished. The wait person was OK when she was present but had a lot of other stuff do to and so presence was uneven. Wine selection very good. For the prices I expected much better. Would not go again.

Review given of average was based on ambiance, service, food quality and price.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Our recent visit to Bencotto proved to be a delightful dining experience. Their cheese platter assortment went perfectly well with their salumi (cured meats) sampler. The olive compote and spicy dried fruits (do not be fooled by their sweet treat appearances, these are spicy tidbits of culinary joy) that accompanied the excellent cheeses were outstanding. Their offering of prosucitto de palma was as good as one expects from this classic Italian meat. Salads were super fresh, and delicious. Artisanal pasta dishes were as good as I have had anywhere and the accompanying sauce selections were amazing. Chicken, shrimp and sausage dishes delighted as well.