“Food was good - avoid the signature drinks”

Bencotto Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Bencotto Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 4,960 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: India Street/Kettner Blvd.
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

It's in a great location, lots of other restaurants and shops around. The menu is a bit hard to read. I think they went a bit over the top with Italian phasing.

Overall the food was pretty good. It did not strike me as being amazing like other Italian restaurants have. Salad and Soup were basic. Main dish had good flavor. The bread was fresh and the basaltic vinegar was fantastic. The signature drinks were not good. My wife tried the lemon cake and another tropical one. She did not care for either of them.

Overall I would go back. Stick to the wine and you will have a good experience.

Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

The osso Buco rocked. Their homemade pasta with spicy sausage tomato sauce was amazing. And their in-house prosciutto was absolutely to-die -for.
Wow.
Coming back here. Highly recommend!!

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I went to Bencotto to celebrate his birthday. We liked the high energy of the place. We had a great table on the second level. I had told the gal who took our reservation that it was my husband's birthday. When we arrived the hostess and then the waitress wished him a happy birthday (nice touch).
Our waitress was from Italy and this thrilled my husband since he is Italian. The food was great. I had the lamb shank osso bucco and my husband had the pumpkin tortelli. The portions were a bit too much for us but we took the leftovers home. It was the best meal we have had in Little Italy.
Make a reservation its very busy!

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Loved this restaurant - it really lives up to its hype. We shared a salad, an appetizer and an entree - the perfect amount of food, all delicious. Service was great, too.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

The only thing we thought a little below average was the ambiance... doesn't look like an Italian restaurant and is too cold. That aside, the food was outstanding, one of the best I've ever had as to Italian pasta... including places in Italy, USA, and Brazil. The sauce was genuinely Italian, since the cooking to the ingredients. The starters were all great, and all the main courses we ordered were at the same high quality. The service could be improved.

Surely a must visit if you are passing through San Diego. I wish I am able to go back one day!