“Great food, beautifully prepared”

Bencotto Italian Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Bencotto Italian Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 4,894 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: India Street/Kettner Blvd.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Dropped into this restaurant for a drink and appetizers. Loved the ambiance.. Modern yet cozy and intimate. The presentation of the food is lovely and the taste even better! Personable and attentive staff. This will defiantly not be my last visit to the wonderful restaurant right in the heart of little italy.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was overwhelmed with the freshness of their pasta. This little gem is expensive and ultra modern, but the food is excellent.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Four folks, four entrees. The food was very good. We had a cheese tray appetizer. Nummy! I had the "make your own" pasta. The Gorgonzola sauce was really good but tooooo rich to eat much. Only one of the four entrees was a reasonably sized portion. Lots of leftovers.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I recently visited San Diego and were told about the trendy new Bencotta in Little Italy. We arrived there a little before 7:00 on a Friday night. When we told them we didn't have reservations, they said they had another reservation coming in at 8:00, so could we be out by then? We were kind of caught off guard by this question, but instead of saying never mind and going somewhere else, we said that would be fine. In hindsight, I wish we had left - there were plenty of other restaurants in the same block. We're frequent diners, and we have never been asked that kind of question before.

Once we were in and settled, it was a decent experience. The atmosphere and decor is very nice, fresh and modern. Our waiter was fine - not great, not bad. The fried bread appetizer was very good, although not necessary with the complimentary bread. My husband ordered one of the specials, a black squid gnocchi over a lobster bisque, which was very good and very rich. I ordered the Pasta Your Way - gnocchi ripieni with the bencotto sauce. At $16, I thought I should receive more than 5 pieces of gnocchi, but thankfully the waiter brought more bread. Both pastas tasted fresh and were enjoyable.

I still might recommend this restaurant, but only with a reservation. I think our total experience was just a little tainted by the initial "check in" process, which is really too bad because it is a nice atmosphere with good food.

1  Thank eringriffin83
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Will definitely return / recommend. Fresh pasta and in house sauces were all wonderful. Fine, quality ingredients. Cheese and meat boards, exceptional, could have been a bit more generous. Nice Apps. Group of seven, I was able to try different things and all were either very good or excellent. Service was very good, but not formal, everyone friendly and helpful. Atmosphere loud and lively, decor/setting upscale and urban, comfortable. Braised beef on cornmeal polenta, yummy, reduction excellent. Side of penne Bolognese, perfect. Agree with current Zagat rating of 24, am over rating here as offset for exceptions to otherwise IMO right up against a 5 star level.