“Fun and Informative!”

64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Fun and Informative!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Before coming to San Diego to visit, all my grandson wanted to do was pan for gold. I saw an advertisement on TV for this attraction which allowed children to pan for gold. The program was fun and informative and after the presentation there was a great interactive dispaly for the kids which included panning for gold, washing clothes on a wash board and making bricks. It was lots of fun and free. We all enjoyed thmselves.

Visited March 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Fairfield
327 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 270 helpful votes
“Interactive experience--the whole family loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We visited this attraction 18 years ago. It has completely changed and has been turned into an attraction not to be missed. What a beautiful building with many photo opportunities! The story of the Mormon battalion's march from the Midwest to the San Diego valley is told in a very interactive and entertaining way, while guides in historical costume move with you through a series of rooms with talking pictures and movie strips and recreated historical settings. The guides involved all of my children in the presentation, my 13 year old son was chosen to dress up as a battalion soldier, complete with rations and gun. The guides, all volunteers, were so nice and friendly. My children (ages 10 to 18) loved it and learned a lot about a remarkable group of people. After the tour, you can have your picture taken (and email it to yourself) and pan for gold. You can also climb (or take an elevator) up a tower for a view over old town. You can check with their database to see if any of your ancestors were involved with the battalion. We knew before coming that my husband had two ancestors that marched with the battalion. But at the historical site, we discovered that much of the presentation was based on the memories of our very ancestors. We were really excited to discover we had a personal connection with this museum. Great introduction to the history of San Diego and all of it is offered at no charge. It's open daily from 9am-9pm, don't miss this!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Excellent and Free...and I'm not Mormon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

State of the art intro with vintage photos that talk! Very clever. Exhibit was well done. Tour guides were adorable. Everything is free, including the photos they take of you! And you can immediately email them, which was great. I'm not Mormon, but love history and had never heard of these soldiers and their 2000 mile trek. It was interesting and family friendly and a very nice building. We sat out in the big rocking chairs on the porch afterwards and enjoyed the sun. No one pressured us to convert!

alberta
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Totally Surprised it was GREAT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I went to this place specifically because my parents seem to like history stuff and we had 30 minutes to kill before we went to the USS Midway.... well this was GREAT! They offered a guided tour, which was interactive and a great 30 minute tour!

I had no idea how the mormons ended up in the San Diego valley, and honestly I didn't really care... however this tour was informative, funny, interactive, and FREE!

After the tour the kids were given the opportunity to 'pan for gold' and to try a water trough. Our daughters who were 15 months and 5 years old, loved the tour. Our 5 year old was 'enlisted into the army' and loved being part of the show!

I hear they recently redid the tour and I don't know what it was before, but now it is definitely worth the stop. The area it is in, offers tons of other things to do... however, we did not take part, as we were already late to the USS Midway tour.

I would recommend this attraction for everyone, I definitely do not think you need to be part of the mormon religion to enjoy this tour.

Connect with me on Facebook www.facebook.com/amandaevanscc or on my website - www.amandaevanscc.com

Visited November 2012
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“This place was surprisingly AWESOME!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family and I were in Old Town early and not much was open so we went to the Mormon Battalion building. We all loved it for different reasons. My husband and I were extremely touched by the movies presented, and our 2 and 4 year old LOVED mining for "gold" and building a house out a bricks. You even get a free picture of your family in an old western-type setting. The technology they used was awesome, and the whole presentation was fun and heart-warming. Of course the people leading the tours were super kind as well. We couldn't recommend this place more! Especially if you have children!