Karl Strauss' Old Columbia Brewery and Grill
and up
San Diego Beer Stroll Tour
Ranked #15 of 210 Nightlife in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: From the long bar and raised dining area, guests at this busy and popular microbrewery and restaurant view the brew kettle and shiny fermenters.
Austin, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Tower 10”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

GREAT beer, fantastic service, delicious and well priced grilled salmon salad, clean restroom, I will return

Visited October 2012

San Diego, California
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Bar Delights”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The best beer, with awesome appetizers, in a fun atmosphere served with a smile. What more could you ask for on an outing?

Visited August 2012
Ely, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great Food, Great Beer and Great Staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I went to Karl Strauss during my stay in San Diego simply because it was very close to the hotel I was staying in, but I'm so glad I visited! The atmosphere is extremely relaxed and has a nice friendly feel to it. I'm not a beer drinker so that aspect of Karl Strauss didn't appeal to me, but I have it on good authority from my husband and friends that the selections of beers was great. The fact that they gives free small samples before having to commit to a full glass certainly helped!

The food is actually incredibly good. We visited Karl Strauss three times in all - twice for lunch and once for dinner in a big group. Special mentions have to go to their tree hugger mac & cheese, ahi poke and the chili lime fries - do not leave without trying those! Their black bean soup also makes a great lunch. The staff are also really attentive and friendly, and really know their beers! If I'm lucky enough to find myself in San Diego again, this will be my first choice for food. I really hope I get the chance to go back again!

Visited March 2012
Encinitas, California
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“same ol' same ol'”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

The only way to make a good experience out of the routinary place of asking for a beer and pizza is to have good company, in case you don't this will be the routine place where everything is scripted from the moment you get in, till they give you the check. "hi, how many? would you like to try...? "no pressure"... and for chicken wings this place still does not beat my favorite so didnt impress me.

Visited November 2011
Fieldbrook, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Samples”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

The staff was very friendly and generous with samples! The nachos were delicious! Good beer!

Visited July 2012