“Great Place in SD to Chill with Real People....”
Review of The Bitter End - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Bitter End
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Having been to SD a couple of times for work and pleasure, its always a real treat to find an upscale bar that isn't too stuffy, filled with wannabees or targeted towards college kids with money (which you can all find in the Gaslamp District). I've been to The Bitter End on two occasions and had an amazing time both times. The music on Saturday nights in the lower level 'underground' can be top-40ish, but if you're looking to meet up with a group of people and have a few drinks, music won't matter that much anyways. The 'living room' upstairs is a great place to chill and relax. The staff always seem friendly and eager to help out (the door men didn't charge me cover which certainly made a girl like me feel welcome). The Bitter End is owned by the same people who run the Ivy Hotel (which I didn't know when I visited SD last spring). The Bitter End is a much more 'fun' place to relax and have a couple of drinks than the Envy nightclub (and cheaper too).

Reviewed October 3, 2007

My uncle and I strolled Fifth Ave. on a late Friday afternoon, looking for a decent bar with at least ONE attractive woman inside... it was still fairly early, so the odds were against us. Finally, after passing up about a half-dozen spots, we saw The Bitter End, with its well-dressed doorman, hot hostess and cocktail waitress, brass railings and dark wood trim. How bad could it be? We went inside and were served up some vodka and tonics by a friendly guy. We watched a slew of music videos on their flat panels (Black Eyed Peas, Madonna, etc.) and people-watched for a few hours over our refills. We saw a bit of everything that the Gaslamp has to offer on a Friday night: skinny Asians in heels, military guys in their uniforms, overweight middle-aged white women, and cocky bedhead dudes. When my uncle's hot friend met up with us later, we headed upstairs to the "let's party while the parents are out of town" faux study, complete with dark wood paneling, well-stocked bookshelves, comfy leather couches, and a hot cocktail waitress from Virginia! All in all, a great spot to hang out.

A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed June 5, 2006

I was in The Bitter End this last weekend with my cousin from out of town showing her around. We were both having fun and had just come back up from the dance floor down stairs when this super drunk guy starts hitting on my cousin. She tries to blow him off and he starts in with how hes the manager and how he can hook her up. Then he gets denied service from his own bartenders! Hearing this he goes into this mumbling cussing bable and slams into me and my cousin on his way to the other side of the bar. I like the bar... but look out for this guy!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member