“Overpriced”

Ranked #75 of 4,989 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: On behalf of our family and staff, we welcome you to Brian's 24! We know you have a lot of choices when deciding where to eat and we're so glad that you chose our restaurant. Aside from the big bar and even bigger food, our place has a story…all great places have a story.This story starts in 2008 when a father (Steve) and a son (Brian) began a drive around the Gaslamp Quarter in search of their next family business venture. Being San Diego natives, Steve and Brian knew exactly what Downtown was missing, an all-hours restaurant where you could get good comfort food any time, day or night. Having come from a family of foodies and restaurateurs, and with Brian himself having spent time in the restaurant industry in Las Vegas, both Steve and Brian were ready for something fun, exciting and in the heart of their hometown. From the moment they stepped in to the restaurant off the lobby of the historic St. James Hotel, they knew they had found the spot. With its grand, hand-crafted mahogany bar (obtained from actress Joan Crawford's estate), beautiful crystal chandelier and tin ceiling, the place really had a warm feeling and a great personality. Fast-forward to today, and the family business is still going strong. After Steve's passing in 2010, the business now has more family members sharing in this labor of love, with Ida (mom), Andrea and Robin (two of Brian's four sisters) standing next to Brian at the helm.Our mission is simple - family, comfort food and anything you want, any time you want it.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The food & service was good, but it was the MOST EXPENSIVE salad I've ever had - $14 for a Caesar salad with chicken!!! I must admit the salad was huge (could've served 2-3 people) but I would have preferred a smaller, less expensive salad that I didn't have to throw away the majority of. Also, the salad had big chunks of the bottom part (stem) of the lettuce. At least if I'm going to be paying top dollar, I should NOT be getting the parts that should be thrown away or composted! As other reviewers have stated, the portions are huge - too huge for one person. The atmosphere was decent and the service good, but because of the expense, I will not be returning.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Portions are large, food is good. Menu is ok for breakfast. Service can be a little slow and forgetful (didn't get my toast until I was nearly finished with my eggs) but they try to make you happy.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The food was fresh, the service was exceptional. Definitely a just for yourself type of place. The portitions are huge!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Great place for breakfast or after a night out. The smores pancakes were excellent and so was the pancake sandwich. Definitely more food than you can eat in one sitting. Bloody Mary's were great.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I can only speak from experience about the pancakes here, although the menu looked pretty comprehensive. I had the multi-grain pancakes, with blueberries. They were tasty, cooked just right, and pleasantly crunchy with the nuts in the batter. With butter and maple syrup, I was smiling the entire time that I was eating. The one thing that needs to be said is that the pancakes were huge; each one was equivalent to two or even three normal pancakes. Unlike many other large pancakes that I have had over the years, these were uniformly cooked. From what I could see of the dishes that others ordered, it appears that the breakfasts here are stellar, and the portions very generous. Just remember to bring your appetite.