“Muy Bueno”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Followed the reviews to La Puerta and wasn't disappointed. I'm not sure if I would have chosen this restaurant from the street view but I'm glad that we decided to stay.

First off, it is crowded, inside and out. Now for dining, that can mean that it's good or cheap or rowdy. You can put a check by all of those options. There was a Padre's game going on at the time so the bar was full and loud. I counted people standing with drinks 5 deep in some areas but a good time was had by all.

For some reason we got a table right away. There isn't a lot of seating so it must have been a sign. Drinks were good. The first skinny margarita I had was nothing like the second but no complaints on either.

Lots of carnitas, and beef on the menu but they also offer a veggie option and the grilled veggie street tacos were some of the best that I've ever had. They even offered side dishes without the lard. A first for Mexican food, Yeah! Great deals for happy hour if you get there between 3 and 7 pm. or after 10 pm. Even on weekends and even if you sit at a regular table. Yeah, Yeah!

Our waitress was a real trooper. Fluent in Mexican food sign language since the noise level from the bar was so loud. She did a great job and we got our drinks fast and our food in a timely manner (but not so fast that we felt rushed).

Don't bring the kids because they won't get in if it's after 3 pm. And who would want to bring them here anyway? This place is a play date for grownups.

1  Thank st0ked

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We were in San Diego for almost a week and of course on our last night we stopped in the la puerta! Which we wish we did the first day! They do allow you to call ahead 45 mins for seating, no reservations but that saves a lot considering the wait was an hour and 45 mins the first night we tried coming! But it is well worth the wait!!!!!! Especially for happy hour! Best service I've ever had! Bobby was amazing. Was always there when we needed him! Best margaritas I've ever had too! And I'm a very picky drinker!!! Also the carne Asada fries are a must!!! And will need to be shared on happy hour they are only 6 dollars and it's literally a volcano! Seriously is going to be a must every time we visit SD! In love with this place!!! It is a must! I never do reviews on restuarants but when it's this good I thought I would let everyone know how freaking good this place is!!!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Walking along and saw 4 people rubbing their tummy, that is a good review! Busy place hard to get a table but good food!
Street tacos filling, carne Assad you can skip, carnitas excellent
Pollo asana excellent, chips excellent margaritas (always get the house to try) excellent. Sat at the bar , waiting for a table would have taken awhile
Would recommend for Mexican food!

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Cool place Good food Good drinks. was disappointed no Corona and for a Mexican bar, not so cool. This was my second time here. This time was more for fun and it was packed. Had to wait for a table but in the end we got one quickly. Service is quick and friendly also

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I went here twice with groups of friends and ordered house specials both times. The staff was really nice, but service was super slow. Not a problem since we wanted to hang out and chat! The tacos and burritos were awesome and we were impressed by the tequila list! The only minor drawbacks were that the restaurant was a bit noisy, and the max table size they had was 8.

I would absolutely return and loved the food an ambiance!