“Excellent choice”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #41 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Spent a great time at this hotel. In the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, near Petco park, and Convention Center, and walking distance from nearly everything. It is a bit small property, but space is well distributed. We booked a small room, so I don't know how the bigger ones look, anyway, it was, actually, quite comfortable and roomy. Just a little noise from the street, but not a great deal (anyway, if you're looking for a peaceful relax-and-meditation-inner-peace realm, you just don't stay at a Hotel in the Downtown)
Clean and neat bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen, specially carpets and beds, as we are both the allergic kind. Staff was great, always with a smile. My wife isn't very fluent in english, and they don't speak spanish, but really managed to help her in absolutely anything she needed. There's free internet at the lobby, and an ATM, there's also another ATM across the street. Only had valet parking, which seemed to me a little expensive, but was in fact on the average prize range for the area. Breakfast was included, served 6 to 9 on weekdays (7-9 on weekends) and there were a lot of options in the menu. I agree pool is small, in a shadowy area of the building, but we weren't gonna use it anyway. Bar at the lobby looked really good. There's a nice, familiar environment all around that makes you feel comfortable, as if you weren't staying at a Hotel at all. 150% reccomended.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed December 29, 2010

We spent 5 nights here and the rooms were clean, the service was fast, and the in-room kitchen allowed us to provide for our child with food allergies by cooking our own food, which also saved us money when we didn't feel like eating out. We had called ahead and asked for a room cleaned without strong chemicals and there was virtually no 'typical hotel' smell when we walked in. The hotel's location provides multiple grocery and supply options within walking distance including CVS, Ralph's supermarket, and Cine mini mart (convenience store). The only parking is valet at $32 per day but you can just call from your room and the car is down there when you get down making it a very convenient option for loading/unloading kids. Anything we asked the front desk for (extra towels, pillows) was delivered within 10 minutes. The front desk and valet personnel were very helpful and would give you a pedestrian map with highlighted directions every time you asked for a specific type of destination close by. The free breakfast was great with ample sitting room and the takeout option was helpful as well. Given the hotel is less than 2 years old I wasn't surprised by the chic decor and fast elevators. The restaurants within walking distance were great as well. Mexican, Indian, Chinese, Italian and American establishments in Gaslamp quarter offer a variety of delicious options including vegetarian. The hotel is a short drive from the 5 freeway for day trips up to Legoland and Los Angeles. It takes 7 minutes to get to the airport and the same for Balboa Park which houses San Diego Zoo and other great museums and activities for kids.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2010

This Residence Inn was perfect for our trip that started out as a business conference in San Diego, and ended with a vacation tour of CA. The Inn was renovated not long ago and looks nice. It's a 5 minute, 2-block walk from the conference center, or about 15 minutes' walk to Seaport Village. Ask for a map at the front desk. it's a big help finding your way around. The front desk people are always nice. You need your room key to use the elevator. Our room on nearly the top floor was beautifully clean, spacious, quiet, and had a great view looking north towards 5th Avenue. If you can get a high floor room looking west towards the water, that's awesome. The kitchenette is perfect, having a full size refrigerator, lots of counter and cabinet space, a cooking surface, coffee maker, dishwasher, paper towels, plus all the dishes, silverware and cookpots you might need. You can buy groceries at Ralph's, a 15 minute walk, or you can take a bus or taxi to the Trader Joe's farther north. Better yet, take advantage of the hotel's free grocery-stocking service. Check the info sheet in your kitchenette for details or ask at the front desk. There is a small dining table in the kitchen, plus the usual coffee table and desk in the living area. The bathroom door was opaque and on sliding overhead rails, like a barn door. You definitely can't see through it, but if you're very shy it might bother you. What I liked less was the dressing/sink area between the bath and bed --- there's a huge clothes armoire up against the wall and a tall sink/counter cabinet standing between the kitchen and bath area facing the armoire, so that when you're trying to wash up or dress there the other person/people can't get to the bathroom easily. (The Residence Inn in Salinas has the perfect floorplan). The bed was totally comfortable, like sleeping on a cloud.
The free breakfast in the breakfast room on the 2nd floor was tremendous -- tons of choices, lots of seating, nice atmosphere. If something needs to be restocked, just ask, and the food service people will help you.
You won't need or want a car while attending a conference, but there is a parking lot right across the street from the hotel, north on Sixth Avenue. The prices are extremely reasonable there. I think we paid $18 to park from one afternoon through to the next day at noontime or so. A signboard out front has the prices.
We used the kitchenette daily as the Gaslamp restaurants are not only astronomically expensive but also serve nothing but fatty, greasy stuff typical of tourist traps. There is no 'healthy California food" here unless you buy the groceries yourself. By way of comparison, Chicago is far less expensive and the food is worlds better. On our last day in San Diego we went to Balboa Park and found Prado Restaurant, which was fabulous!!! Great food, great service. Well worth the trip out there. Hub Market, a few blocks north of the hotel on 748 Sixth, serves a very decent sandwich, side dish and drink for around $7.50. Freshly made and delicious, this sandwich was far superior to the meal we got at the only vegetarian restaurant listed for this area. Beware the Toscana cafe about a block west of this Residence Inn. They'll serve you about 50 cents worth of spaghetti with a spoonful of tomato sauce for $19.
In sum: the Residence Inn Gaslamp offered extremely clean, comfortable, modern rooms with great service and free breakfast for a reasonable price. The ability to prepare your own meals is a huge money-saving plus. It is also within easy walking distance of the conference center, Seaport Village, and other lovely areas and has both valet parking and a reasonably priced parking lot next door. Next time we're in San Diego for a conference, we'll definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank MaineWeekender
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a room in the Gas Lamp district. I have no complaints with the hotel, the rooms are nice and big, the staff is very helpful and is right in the middle of the Gas Lamp.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights while I was attending a conference at the Convention Center in December. I am really glad that I chose this hotel, as opposed to the designated conference hotels (Omni, Hyatt, ginormous Marriott). I got a reasonable rate for the area, which I was glad included breakfast and free internet, since my conference breakfast left much to be desired...

Anyways. I stayed in a king suite, which was a great corner room with 2 different views of the city (stay on higher floors for better views-- I was on the 11th). I was impressed by the tiny, yet full kitchen with quite modern, stainless steel appliances, including a dishwasher. My only complaint is that the burners on the stove are really close together, so two big pans don't fit at the same time. Oh well. No oven, either, but I don't think most people would need one. The decor was modern and very clean, and I liked the layout of the room: a studio, but the kitchen was around the corner from the living/sleeping area. There is a vanity that serves as a half wall between the kitchen area and the bathroom, and the bathroom was very spacious. My only complaint with that was the lack of lotion, which of course, I had forgotten at home.

The daily free appetizers down in the lobby were really nice, and one could fill up on them as dinner if you so chose. The bar looked nice, but I didn't partake. Breakfast was basic but good, and there seemed to be enough space to sit, unlike many other Residence Inns I've been to. The location of the hotel is perfect: enough off of the beaten path so that it's a little private, but within walking distance of tons of restaurants, shops, bars, public transportation and the convention center. The fitness center is pretty tiny, so you might have to wait to use the equipment if it were a busy time. The equipment was nice, though. I also liked having valet services outside, and you had to use your key to access the elevator. Both made me feel just a bit safer, as I was traveling alone.

Overall, I would 100% recommend this hotel to anyone else, whether for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank travellingtuba
Reviewed November 24, 2010

We stayed in a one bedroom suite for 2 nights on the weekend. The hotel price was excellent for this location, there was a least one large convention going on and hotel prices were very high. We booked the room 5 months ahead of time and got a great deal. The door, front desk, breakfast and housekeeping staff were all great. The room was very clean and modern, they only flaw being the great looking sliding glass doors to both the bathroom and bedroom which didn't provide much privacy (especially to the bathroom). Our teenager said the hideabed was fine and he slept well, our bed was good but firm. The kitchen was well stocked and included decent wine glasses. We looked at but didn't use the pool, it is very small but in a private protected area. The location is great, with easy access to transit and close to lots of dining and entertainment options.

The hotel is trying to cut down on room parties and you have to sign a form saying you won't host parties. You need to insert your room key to select your floor. We didn't think anything of it when 4 young women joined us in the elevator and waited until we selected our floor to select theirs. On the way up they were talking about the party they attended the previous weekend in one of the rooms in the Hard Rock hotel , they got off at a different floor so we don't know if this was a party too. Later there was a large number of people arriving and knocking at the room next door, followed by some noise. It wasn't horrible so we didn't call the front desk. In retrospect we should have called the desk about both things to give them a chance to deal with it. I don't think these incidents were related to the convention (usually that kind of noise comes much later in the evening) or unique to this hotel but were instead pre-clubbing warmup parties.

We like to have fun like everyone else but we try to be respectful of our neighbors. Again we don't hold these things against the hotel but looking back feel that we should have helped the hotel by letting them know and would encourage our fellow responsible travellers to do the same.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I had the most incredible experience. I stayed at this very nice hotel: clean, modern and functional. What was amazing was that I encountered an employee that went out of his way completely to help. I called down to get a suit pressed in the evening and John from front desk answered. As I described the situation (needed suit pressed in the evening for an early morning meeting), he said he would take care of it immediately. And I did not know it then, but he meant it literally. Afterwards, when I checked out, I learned from his colleague that even though the service was not available (it was late when I asked for it), he took it upon himself to iron it in the back office! Wow, I was so impressed that he had not even mentioned anything (he was not expecting anything, just giving the service to a customer). If I would of known, I would of probably told him not to worry about it, but I was impressed to learn of this incredible gesture on his part. It would of been as easy as to say "service not available at this time", but he did it with no expectation of any sorts. I hope he becomes EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR for Marriott as a whole. Impressive!!!! I will return again just to say hello to this fantastic employee. The hotel is excellent, but the service is impressive....much has to do with management at this property, I am sure.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business