“Very nice hotel and excellent location”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #38 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The hotel overall was very nice. The front desk at check in made you feel right at home and even sent me a note welcoming me back to my home town for a visit.
My room was the room I reserved and was a city view studio. Nothing against this hotel but Marriott is just not into upgrading premium guests. Never has happened to me at least! Breakfast was good and the hotel overall had a very friendly feel. The location is great and we walked all over the San Diego area. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: City view and high floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Colleen M, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you so much for your loyalty to Marriott and for taking the time to review our beautiful property! We look forward to your next visit here in the Gaslamp!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed January 27, 2014

All in all, the Residence Inn is hard to beat. The Gaslamp location is very central and the reasonable rate, compared to big chain hotels on the harborfront, includes a very good breakfast buffet and wifi throughout the hotel. We did not make use of the kitchen equipment, except the refrigerator, but might have on a longer stay. I would have done five-stars except for a quickly-resolved housekeeping problem.

Room Tip: We overlooked the pool and there was not a sound. Can't imagine rooms on the street would be no...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Capitol Hill
Ryan F, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor, I am very glad to hear that you had a great day with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I came to SD because I was in need of sunshine since the winter in Atlanta feels more like Seattle or NYC minus the snow. Anyway not knowing much about SD I researched TA for hotels and booked here based on the reviews. The room is modern and very comfortable felt like I was in a condo instead of a hotel room or the average cookie cutter extended stay suite. Breakfast in the am was hearty and had some variety which I appreciated since I was there 4 days. The location is on point a couple of blocks from the trolley stop and walking distance to most attractions in that area (trust me I spent the entire time walking around enjoying the weather). I did however take the trolley, ferry and coastal train to areas that were beyond walking distance. The staff here is stellar like really most times when you stay at hotels these days the staff is indifferent or you have to actively engage them. Not so here - they were very friendly, engaging and eager to assist with recommendations for activities, restaurants, etc. And I really appreciated the personal note, birthday wish and offer of assistance from Shannon.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, as we at Marriott strive to provide an excellent stay to all of our guests and I am happy to hear we were successful! We hope to see you again soon, thank you for choosing Residence Inn.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was attending the California Association of Realtors CAR, quarterly convention where I am one of the directors. I was scheduled to stay at the Marriot on Harbor Blvd. but was moved to the Residents Inn due to an overbooking.
I was pleasantly surprised by the greeting and helpfulness of the staff.
I want to recognize Danielle, Samantha, Shannon and the gentlemen behind the counter and the doormen; sorry, I do not remember their names for a very pleasant and enjoyable stay.
I use to travel for a living and stayed at numerous hotels throughout the United States and the attention that your staff gave me made me feel very welcomed and attended to my needs as they arose.
The next time that I am back on San Diego I will make sure I will make reservations in your hotel and look forward to another great stay courteous of your staff.
James Dill

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Colleen M, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Mr Dill,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review about our property! Here at the Residence Inn Gaslamp we pride ourselves on providing the highest level of guest service. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next San Diego visit!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed here 4 nights in early December for business. I requested a quiet room and was put in 1 bedroom suite on the top floor. The view wasn't great due to a portion of the roof blocking it, but I didn't mind.

The room was clean and comfortable. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and I slept well which I usually do not do in hotels. Although I didn't cook much, the kitchenette, microwave and refrigerator came in handy for snack time. There was a large closet for hanging and storing clothes.

I ate the free breakfast every morning. It was nice to have a hot breakfast, usually some version of eggs and potatoes. It was standard fare, good enough, but not great.

Two things that I want to make note of - 1) the sink is outside of the bathroom and is a rather curious cabinet affair which I found to be slightly cramped and lacking in racks for hanging towels. 2) the second and most odd was the lack of lighting in certain key locations like over the desk and by the bathroom sink. The desk was situated along a wall between the kitchen and bedroom, but there was no overhead light nor was there a desk lamp. There was no light over or near the bathroom sink. It was not a problem for me, but my wife would have been very unhappy trying to put on makeup in those conditions.

I choose the Residence Inn because I was able to get a rate that was more acceptable to our travel dept. than the hotel where my meetings were. Plus I value having a refrigerator, microwave, and free breakfast The valet parking was expensive at $38/night and would be inconvenient if you forgot to get everything you needed from the car before it was parked. There is a parking lot across the street for less money, but I did not use it.

The Broken Yolk restaurant is across the street and serves excellent breakfast fare although I did not make use of it on this trip. The Old Spaghetti Factory is just around the corner, and there are many other fine restaurants close by.

The front desk and valet attendants were very friendly and helpful, allowing me to leave my car and luggage at the hotel my afternoon meetings were over.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and I would definitely stay there again.

P.S. I didn't eat in the restaurant or use room service, so my scores on this do not reflect any experience with it.

Room Tip: My request for a quiet room was accommodated..
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Colleen M, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review of our property! We truly appreciate your business and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Fast check in, customer service was very friendly. Check out was as simple as handing over the key. To get to your room you needed to swipe your card which was great security and made us feel safe staying here. There was no free wifi which is something we were disappointed about.

Room was big and very spacious with its own sitting area and kitchen. Room had a kitchen area that consists of a big fridge with a top freezer, microwave, stove, clean sink, and plenty of utensils and pots and pan if you felt like cooking. But with a short walking distance to plenty of restaurants who would want to stay in and cook!

Room also included breakfast. Breakfast was nothing special, the typical buffet. Only thing is that it was a struggle to find a table, they should provide more table and chairs to accommodate the many ppl coming in for a free meal.

The location is perfect, hotel is just around the corner of Gaslamp. Plenty of restaurants and shops around and not too far from the bay. There is a CVS up the street one or two blocks away which was very handle for us as we were there for 4 nights so we visited the CVS quite often to stock up on snacks and since we had a fridge we stocked up on a lot of bottled water.
Pool and gym was pretty small but we never had time to use it as we were kept busy with the shopping and visiting San Diego's attractions. San Diego Zoo is a quick 15 min cab ride away.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Naaone!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our property! Sharing first hand experiences like yours is what really makes a difference! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, we look forward to your next visit to the Gaslamp!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the last day of our multi-day trip to the San Diego area.
The hotel is very well located if you want to be close to the Gaslamp Quarter - We literally had to exit the hotel and turn a corner to be close to the bars and restaurants.
Check in was a breeze - Samantha was courteous and accommodating despite the fact that we were there an hour early. We got a corner room on the 11th floor overlooking the two towers (I think they were the Harbor Club Condos).
The room is pretty spacious. I did not approve of the sliding door to the bathroom (you could hear it slamming on the floor above), but given the location and price some creativity was in order!
Breakfast is the standard fare of waffles, fruit, muffins, eggs, juices and sodas.
Check out was easy too.
The only thing I couldn't justify was the ridiculously high valet parking. Luckily we were there on a Saturday night, and if you have the patience, you can find a 3 hour parking meter at 3:01pm (meters run till 6pm) and you'd be good for the rest of the weekend! It me about 20 minutes of driving around to find one on 5th Ave.
Overall, if you can get past the parking situation, this is a really convenient place to spend the weekend!

Room Tip: High floors are quiet!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John D

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review for our property! We hope to see you again the next time you visit San Diego!