New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #26 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Rome, Italy
“Great hotel and perfect location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I've been there on the beginnig of july. The hotel is perfect, clean, great service and an healthy breakfast.
Employers are very kind and the location is strategic. You can walk all around the gaslamp quarter (nightlife, pubs, restaurants and stores everywhere) and you can also walk until the sea port village, it will take half an hour.
You can also have a drink at the ALTITUDE Sky Lounge just around the corner.
I really suggest this hotel and i would come back soon.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms in front of the 6th Ave. it looks like they are bigger.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Korean first
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We combined a conference and added vacation to San Diego. We stayed here because it was close to the convention center. Little did we know that it is one block from all the sites in the Gaslamp district. It is a nice, clean, quiet hotel. The rooms are suites with full kitchens. I have no plans of cooking or being in a kitchen on vacation but it was very nice to have.

They have a fantastic complimentary breakfast each morning. Not just muffins and bagels, I mean a full hot breakfast with eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, and a waffle maker and all the great waffle fixings such as fruit, nuts and whipped cream. This is worth it alone.

This hotel does not have a fancy view but seriously would give it up for the amenities, location, price, cleanliness and breakfast. We had a car and the valet knew us by day 1 and always had our vehicle ready. It is a great, quiet, safe area yet we walk one block and are right in the thick of the Gaslamp scene.

We played and drank during the day and when we arrived to the hotel they met us with open arms to welcome us "home." I loved walking the shops and galleries in the area. There is also a great cupcake place two blocks up from the hotel called Heavenly cupcakes. We could pick one up late after eating and drinking out to bring back to our room. And because we had a refrigerator we always had fresh milk.

We were also one block from Petco Park. There were games two of the nights we were there. We were never inconvenienced by the crowds going to the game. They block some streets but it is easy to get around. We can hear the game but they are over by bedtime. One of our group had a room facing 6th and they could see the fireworks after the game.

This was my second trip here and I would choose it again hands down.

Room Tip: We stayed in a high room with a slight view of the water. Early in the evening you could hear the n...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Araae1
Grover Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I never get to go to places like this. WOW! I'm a small town girl and I had more fun just looking out over the gaslamp quarter from my 6th floor window. It was great! The bed was like a cloud. I have fibromyalgia and I woke with no pain. Unfortunately traffic was heavy so we didn't have enough time for the pool and gym but next time for sure. Also there was a mix up with the billing as we had a small group and one phone call fixed it all. Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jacque C
Tallahassee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

A colleague and I stayed here for the Esri UC in July 2013 and it was excellent. First off it was located in the Gas Lamp district do it was close to restaurants and only two blocks to the convention center. Secondly, the staff were second to none....very friendly, helpful, attentive and professional....they really made a difference. And finally, the room was perfect; quiet, plenty of space, nice kitchen and the typical great Marriott bed and bedding. So...all in all a very nice experience with a good breakfast to boot...I highly recommend it!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here while attending a wedding in June 2013.
The hotel was great. Service was wonderful, hotel was clean and modern, and you can't beat the location.
The pool is on the tiny side - we didn't spend any time in it, but did take a look to see if it would be worthwhile.
The food at breakfast was a bit disappointing (cold, rubbery eggs, not too many options)
If you need a great location at a good price and want consistent Marriott service, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ambler, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Nice hotel with very friendly staff. Did not meet anyone in our entire 6 day stay who was not absolutely sincere in their friendliness and helpfulness. Main criticism: It is a pet friendly hotel and some of the dogs are large (and loud). There was a dog in the room across from us who barked whenever anyone walked past the door. The staff was able to accommodate a room change for us due to the noise, even though the hotel was nearly full. Strongly suggest that you ask at check in about whether there are any dogs in the rooms near you if it might bother you. If you own a pet, then the pet friendly status is a positive for you.
Breakfast is great with different choices but it is very crowded on the weekends. Get there early to avoid the long line (and the even longer wait to make your own waffles). The breakfast area was very well staffed with pleasant people who were very attentive to all the food items as soon as they ran out.
For those who have vehicles, the valet parking is very expensive ($38/day) but there is a self-parking garage 30 feet away where the maximum rate is $25/day or less depending on the day of the week.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Riverside, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The overall experience was not a bad one. The issue I have is with the lack of communication on the hotel's part regarding the parking. I've never had to pay separately for parking when I've stayed in a hotel. The last hotel I stayed at provided a parking space 4 feet from my door! I spoke with mgr (Ryan) who didn't offer anything to even partially compensate for my dissatisfaction. Instead, he stated what the hotel's policy is and that only valet parking is offered. So having to pay $38 for valet parking totally (in my opinion) negated the "deal" I thought I was getting when I reserved with Expedia. Last, the hot breakfast buffet hours should be modified as everyone doesn't rise before 9am!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Colleen M, Property Coordinator at Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. We are glad you and your family had a good overall experience with us. We apologize if you were not made aware of our parking options. As advertised on our website (as well as on third party reservation websites such as Expedia), our property has valet overnight parking available for $38 per day with unlimited in and out privileges. All of the hotels in the Gaslamp Quarter do charge additionally for parking because of our downtown location and a limited parking space. Our valet parking fee is competitively priced with other hotels in the Gaslamp Quarter. Also as advertised on our website as well as in every guest suite, our breakfast buffet is served Monday through Friday from 6-9am. In order to accommodate leisure travelers, our breakfast hours are 7-10am on the weekends.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope you stay with us again the next time you and your family return to the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego.