“Home away from Home”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #45 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The staff went out of their way to make my stay as comfortable as possible. They were warm and friendly, and before long I felt like I was a neighbor rather than a guest. If travels ever take me to San Diego again, I know where I will be staying.

Room Tip: Upper levels may have less street noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel and after the first stay there was no question that if I returned to the area this is where I would stay again. Great location - walking distance to restaurants, specialty shops, baseball stadium and marina. Rooms are clean, quiet and beds are comfortable. The staff is amazing - especially Mona who went out of her way to make sure my stay was the best it could be! If I return to the area, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for three nights as the start of my elopement/honeymoon in the Southern California area at the start of November, we also had our best man staying here three nights. The staff on site during the day was great, friendly, attentive and helpful, unfortunately, from the afternoon on, a second crew takes over. The evening staff is terrible, the front desk staff and valet/bell boys are constantly chatting with each other, ignoring people entering and leaving the building and it's just disappointing to see as a Platinum Marriott Rewards member, as I've stayed in countless Marriott's and expect a certain level of professionalism from the staff. We were especially put off by the way the evening valets counted every tip we gave them in front of us and scoffed, laughed and made faces at each other if they felt it wasn't enough. $50 a night for valet parking is BEYOND outrageous, there's a parking garage RIGHT NEXT DOOR that costs HALF the price, FYI.

1  Thank Jesse N
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a a well maintained Residence Inn that is in a great location for sight seeing in San Diego. It has a small roof top pool and workout facility. They provide light evening receptions during the week. Housekeeping staff does a fantastic job. You can walk to transit, the convention center, the ball park and more.The Gaslamp district is something to see in and of itself. There are restaurants in every direction! The service was fantastic and friendly!

Room Tip: Higher up and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kimflwrpwr
Reviewed November 27, 2012

If you are going to stay in the Gaslamp Quarter, definitely consider this property. It is located in the center of the Gaslamp, easy walking distance to tons of great restaurants, bars and the marina. The USS Midway is about a 20 min walk. Across the street is The Palm Steakhouse and around the corner is Fleming's and Morton's, if you are looking for a fine dining steakhouse. Otherwise, there are tons of eateries, more than you can even imagine.

The property is very clean, comfortable and each room provides a full or partial kitchen with all utensils, pots and pans, coffee pot, toaster and dishes, if you were in the mood to cook in your room (long stay conventioneers find this a big plus). Excellent full liquor (premium top shelf liquor i.e.. Gray Goose, Maker's Mark, etc) bar that serves a variety of hot bar food, all excellent in flavor and quality at a great price. Smaller pool on the roof, in-house laundry matt and gym. A buffet breakfast is provided, but I did not utilize. The "Broken Yolk" breakfast/lunch establishment is right across the street, good grub. No room service.

Very accommodating staff, special kudos to "Anita," she is a great asset to Marriott. If you plan on staying local to the Gaslamp, you will not need a car. Amtrak is a $7.00 cab ride and the Red Line city transpiration rail system is just blocks away. Otherwise, Valet parking is about $35 a night (standard fee for the area). The ballpark is two blocks away. When comparing hotel price at the Marriott Marina and Marriott Gaslamp, this Residence Inn provides the best value and perks. If I am in town just for the Gaslamp eateries, I will stay at this property and never give it a second thought.

Room Tip: Hotel was built in late 90's, well insulated. I had no sound problems from street traffic. Top f...
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We were so impressed with this Hotel. On arrival the check in staff were friendly and helpful, totally engaging in helping with our stay in San Diego.
The room was extremely clean and very comfortably set out.
We enjoyed the free full breakfast on the 2nd floor every morning and also dinner in the foyer Bar one evening.
All the staff we came in contact with were so friendly it really stayed with us.
San Diego was such a great place to visit.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 9th floor, it was so quiet we thought we were the only people there, however, th...
1  Thank RodnJen
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband, 2 year old daughter and I checked in to this hotel on Thanksgiving day. The staff is excellent and the service is great. The bartender, valet staff and the front desk were wonderful to us. Everything that we needed was provided to us. I forgot to drink my coffee and when it became cold, the bartender went out of his way to go one floor up to the kitchen to warm it up for me. At 10PM, when we needed milk for my daughter, the front desk staff brought it up to our room. The valet staff is exceptional, very attentive and caring. Breakfast items changed daily and the ktichen staff are very courteous and attentive to our needs. Kudos to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family