“This place is the Hot Tip for the Gaslamp Quarter”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #37 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Fullerton, California
“This place is the Hot Tip for the Gaslamp Quarter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

If you are going to stay in the Gaslamp Quarter, definitely consider this property. It is located in the center of the Gaslamp, easy walking distance to tons of great restaurants, bars and the marina. The USS Midway is about a 20 min walk. Across the street is The Palm Steakhouse and around the corner is Fleming's and Morton's, if you are looking for a fine dining steakhouse. Otherwise, there are tons of eateries, more than you can even imagine.

The property is very clean, comfortable and each room provides a full or partial kitchen with all utensils, pots and pans, coffee pot, toaster and dishes, if you were in the mood to cook in your room (long stay conventioneers find this a big plus). Excellent full liquor (premium top shelf liquor i.e.. Gray Goose, Maker's Mark, etc) bar that serves a variety of hot bar food, all excellent in flavor and quality at a great price. Smaller pool on the roof, in-house laundry matt and gym. A buffet breakfast is provided, but I did not utilize. The "Broken Yolk" breakfast/lunch establishment is right across the street, good grub. No room service.

Very accommodating staff, special kudos to "Anita," she is a great asset to Marriott. If you plan on staying local to the Gaslamp, you will not need a car. Amtrak is a $7.00 cab ride and the Red Line city transpiration rail system is just blocks away. Otherwise, Valet parking is about $35 a night (standard fee for the area). The ballpark is two blocks away. When comparing hotel price at the Marriott Marina and Marriott Gaslamp, this Residence Inn provides the best value and perks. If I am in town just for the Gaslamp eateries, I will stay at this property and never give it a second thought.

Room Tip: Hotel was built in late 90's, well insulated. I had no sound problems from street traffic. Top f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We were so impressed with this Hotel. On arrival the check in staff were friendly and helpful, totally engaging in helping with our stay in San Diego.
The room was extremely clean and very comfortably set out.
We enjoyed the free full breakfast on the 2nd floor every morning and also dinner in the foyer Bar one evening.
All the staff we came in contact with were so friendly it really stayed with us.
San Diego was such a great place to visit.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 9th floor, it was so quiet we thought we were the only people there, however, th...
1 Thank RodnJen
Union city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband, 2 year old daughter and I checked in to this hotel on Thanksgiving day. The staff is excellent and the service is great. The bartender, valet staff and the front desk were wonderful to us. Everything that we needed was provided to us. I forgot to drink my coffee and when it became cold, the bartender went out of his way to go one floor up to the kitchen to warm it up for me. At 10PM, when we needed milk for my daughter, the front desk staff brought it up to our room. The valet staff is exceptional, very attentive and caring. Breakfast items changed daily and the ktichen staff are very courteous and attentive to our needs. Kudos to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Perth Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

The early morning hours of Thanksgiving Day is usually quiet. Most people have finally reached their home or family reunion location so whilst the planes, trains and highways were packed, hotels were pretty quiet. So it was when we arrived at the Residence Inn Downtown.

It was 1.30am as we walked into this hotels lobby.

Unfortunately just in front of us walked a gentleman from India (where I have many close friends).

He was greeted by the desk clerk and herein started a 40 minute discussion and negotiation about wanting "discount accommodation" for his family, and free car parking as well even though they hadn't even pre-booked.

The "family" consisted of Dad, Mum, four children and...yep, Granddad and Grandma. Eight people surrounding one poor desk clerk...at 2am in the morning...and the negotiations went on and on and on!

It took us over 40 minutes to be attended to, but I have to say the desk clerk was amazingly calm.
I would have "exploded" with the chaos this family was inflicting upon this hotel.

Now the good news:

The Desk Clerk apologies for the delay and gave us a lovely room with a late check-out which was desperately needed as we had travelled by train all the way from Seattle, and needed sleep. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the room itself was a good size and quiet. The shower and bathroom was wonderful for our tired bodies.

The late breakfast was delicious and the attention from the staff was first class. And it's the little things that count, such as getting toothpaste for us at 2am when we discovered we had run-out.

So we would recommend this hotel highly, particularly as your chances of meeting our eight-member family "from hell" is pretty remote.

Also this hotel is an excellent location in this interesting city.

Recommended highly.

Room Tip: Higher floors such as the ninth level will ensure you have a quiet sleep.
1 Thank pisang
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband, two year old son and I planned a vacation to San Diego. We wanted to stay in a Marriott chain because of my husband's platinum status with them and we had some very specific needs: my son needed his own room (only way he sleeps well), we needed lots of room since we were there seven nights, I wanted something downtown but hopefully not impacted by the noisy bar area. After going back and forth between this hotel and the other Residence Inn downtown I chose this hotel because: the train noise would not be a factor here, we reserved two adjoining rooms (a one-bedroom and a studio suite), and the reviews from trip advisor raved about this hotel. There were many pros and cons...

PROS:
- Perfectly located! We were not interested in Petco Park but it was only about two blocks away. We comfortably walked to many restaurants in the area, the habour area and Seaport Village. The $35+ parking per day hurt but it was truly convenient.
- Valet staff was excellent.
- The adjoining rooms were just what I was hoping for. There was a nice hallway kind of separating them and gave us I think about 900 sq feet total. We had asked for rooms on a high floor and were given the 10th floor out of 14 which was nice. And the one bedroom was on a corner.
- Buffet breakfast was fine (obviously a lot of repeats since we were there so long) and offered a variety.
- Lobby was great.
- Gym room was okay. Didn't try out the pool mainly because it was never in the sun.
- Housekeeping was good.
- The bar/food downstairs was decent.

CONS:
- Even on the 10th floor we had SO MUCH street level noise. Forget about sleeping on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday...or Thursday if you are a light sleeper.
- The studio suite had a double bed in it- don't even try to call that a queen!
- Their website stated they offered cribs at no fee. They brought us up a pack and play. Anyone who has a child knows there is a HUGE difference. They need to take that off their website - they do not have cribs. Our son was two big for a pack and play and I had to make a make-shift bed for him. Luckily it worked. I complained to the front desk three times and at one point suggested they should rent us a crib and no fee to us but they refused. I understand they can't be held liable if something happened with the crib they rented us, but come on - they do NOT OFFER CRIBS. Pack and plays are for infants. They were not apologetic either.
- Even though the buffet breakfast was decent, after getting sick three days in a row after eating from it (both my husband and I) we stopped going for more than cereal and yogurt. We think it was the eggs.
- We heard other guests complaining about a variety of things that we didn't encounter ourselves. Kind of put a sour taste in our mouths.
- They had a laundry room you had to pay for. Other Residence Inns we have stayed in were free.
- I was also told that the only way to get a room with a bathroom linked from the living room instead of bedroom with the one bedroom was to get handicapped access. I wanted a bathroom off the living room in the one bedroom. We did have that and it was not a handicapped room.
- Their front desk staff was okay but certainly nothing to rave about on here.

OVERALL... It was a nice hotel. Had we not been set on staying in a Marriott we for sure would have stayed somewhere else. I want to be really clear though - if you have children you understand - that was a MAJOR DILLEMMA not having a crib. They need to take that OFF their website and replace it was PACK AND PLAY!!!!!!!!!! And a nice apology would have helped. My husband is a platinum member and CHOOSES to stay at Marriott over Hilton. I personally prefer Hilton and am trying to convince him to switch. Especially after this trip.
If you are not picky like I know we were (which comes with having a child) this is a cool hotel. In the heart of it all. We never had to walk more than three blocks to find a new and fun restaurant.

Room Tip: You have to go with a one bedroom suite if you want anything larger than a regular room. Remember t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Jjones042807
West Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel and would recommend staying here. I was greeted by a lovely young lady named Cathy Schultz who was so personable and helpful. She assisted me with a problem I had and was so gracious. Also, I can not remember the bartender's name (on duty the weekend of October 20 at night) who also was so pleasant and personable. It makes such a difference to a customer when the staff does a great job. The rest of the staff at the front desk was also very nice.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Patty54125
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

The room was very large it had a small kitchen with sink, microwave, fridge/freezer, coffee maker, hob and cooking utensils, handy if you want to prepare lunch to take out with you to one of the attractions. nicely decorated, the bed was very comfortable, the sink and vanity unit isnt in the bathroom but acts as a partial room divider, a bit unusual but didn't dampen the stay!! Valet guys are great! Parking is $38 per day. Free wifi & breakfast with a wide selection including a waffle maker!! Good value for money close to the ball park and lots of restaurants, easy access to get to zoo and seaworld only 10 mins away.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple