“Great location”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #45 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 17, 2012

a new type of Residence Inn...great location(right in the gaslight quarter)...down the block from trendy fifth avenue and near the baseball stadium...walking distance from anywhere you want to see or do!
Nice clean rooms...pool, exercise room...even a laundry!
love the special welcome from Cathy and Brian, the super hotel manager.
Only problem...just one bed and sorry fold out sofa....

J. And I. ,Santa Monica Ca.

Room Tip: Try for a corner room!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IenJoy
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn for about 39 days in the months of April and May of 2012. I would like to send my appreciation to one of the employees at the front desk named KELLY MONTES..... She provided great customer service and was extreemely helpful with any issues I had. I especially would like to give her my thanks because out of about 4-5 people I delt with working the main desk, she was the only one that seemed to care and want to help me. Other workers seemed to have fake smiles and a memorized greeting line everytime i approached the desk, and would quickly become very UNhelpful.
I had some sort of a sticky situation where my roommate and I had to stay in a hotel while my house was under construction for 2 months. I was only staying at the hotel on weekends while my roommate was in the room 7 days a week.
I was originally told when i reserved the room on the phone that parking was $20 non-valet. Once i checked in, I was informed there is only valet parking at $38 per car. Therefore we had 2 cars being charged $38 each, and I had issues when I told the front desk that i would not be parking 1 of the cars in their parking lot but only 2 nights a week. At first it seemed like it was a problem, then they told me I had to notify the desk every time arrived and left. After waiting patiently quite a bit for the second time, just to say "I'm here" or "I'm leaving", I ran into Kelly who told me I could just inform the valets instead of waiting in line everytime.
At one point I was denied a fitted sheet for the pull out sofa mattress, and was given a regular bed sheet that would continually slip off the mattress while i was sleeping.
I was denied a comforter and told i could only have a blanket (it wasn't until I asked one of the guys that personally serviced the room, that I received a comforter).
I also had an issue understanding why my credit card charges were not the same as the charges on the 1st bill I received. I believe i talked to 2 other people who had no clue or answers or care before Kelly stepped up and was able to explain it to me.
There were many little stupid things that all just seemed to accumulate and it just seemed anytime I had a question or issue, KELLY MONTES was the only one with an answer and the only one that seemed like she truly wanted to help. All other people behind the desk had big smiles when they greeted you, and quickly showed a lack of interest or concern for the customer. I have always enjoyed my stays at other Marriotts in the past with friends, the only reason why I stayed at this particular Marriott for such a long period was out of convenience. I had stayed in 2 other hotels durring this period not realizing that the construction on my house was going to take so long. So I came to the Marriott Residence Inn for the available kitchen and because I have had great past experiences in other Marriott Hotels. I did not switch hotels again out of convenience of not having to move my roommate/tenant for a 3rd time.
I gave an average rating to this hotel because most the people at the front desk brought it down. The valets were all great guys and helpful, as well as the cleaning lady.

Paul Madrazo

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank p m
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Clean, new, and conveniently located in the fun Gaslamp Quarter - near transportation, a short walk from the convention center, restaurants and bars, and the Embarcadero and a short hop on the trolley to Italian quarter and lots of other places. And it's not far from the airport, either. Restaurant on-site and breakfast is included. It's like having your own downtown apartment.
Nice pool and small gym, too.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a corner room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here for one night for the Color Me Rad. The staff was nice and was a great location. If you have a daughter and wife it is right next to the Gaslamp Quarter and the mall so there is great shopping for them. If you have sons then it is perfect it is only about 3 or 4 blocks from Petco park. The breakfast was really good. Pancakes, sausage, potatoes, and eggs. Some of the many food. There is salsa and cheese and sour cream and onions to put on your eggs. One of the best breakfast ever. Not enough seating though. We had to sit on the side where there are two tables with only two charis. The pool wasn't much very small and only 3 feet deep. Other than that great staff, great breakfast, and great location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Don S
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I am a Marriott Platinum Elite (which means I spend way too much time in Marriott Hotels) and I've stayed in Marriott Residence Inns many times, but this reminded me of a mediocre remodel of a Motel 6. I have no idea who designed the furniture, but you couldn't get your hand into the nightstand drawers, The rooms (unlike most RIs) were miniscule - I have no idea how ANY family could fit in one; the food buffets were poorly done. The staff were pleasent enough but except for the valet staff, generally lacking initiative. I noted in other reviews that other guests had good internet connectivity - ours was non-existent. Guests should be aware that there are NO pay per view movie channels, and very limited TV channels for viewing. We broke down and got a DVD player in order to try to enjoy something on the TV - otherwise the reception was of very poor quality. It seems that all the other reviews were of 2 bedroom or one bedroom suites. Let me tell you - those may be ok - the rest of the rooms are smaller than the master bath in my house (including what passed for the "kitchen".).
On two of the days, the cleaning staff did not clean kitchen utensis, though the notes told us to leave them and they would be cleaned. Items were not refilled ot replaced.
I really can't say enough except BUYER BEWARE! I suppose unless you can wrangle a suite of of these people - DON'T GO!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sandees38
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful at this hotel. The location was great, being so close to restaurants and the Petco ballpark. The room was spacious and very clean and comfortable. Also a very short drive from the San Diego airport. The complimentary breakfast worked great too. I would totally stay here again and recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: The 10th floor room we had gave a nice view of downtown.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Little_Leesa_1
Reviewed August 6, 2012

For quite an expensive hotel, the breakfast was disorganised, chaotic and extremely disappointing- long queues, nowhere to sit, plastic plates - totally not in keeping with the rest of the hotel. Apart from this, the staff are good, hotel is clean and in a good location. Parking is very expensive and the pool is a giant puddle full of children - not quite what we had anticipated. Staff very helpful

• Stayed: July 2012