“Great Breakfast”

Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #46 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here for one night for the Color Me Rad. The staff was nice and was a great location. If you have a daughter and wife it is right next to the Gaslamp Quarter and the mall so there is great shopping for them. If you have sons then it is perfect it is only about 3 or 4 blocks from Petco park. The breakfast was really good. Pancakes, sausage, potatoes, and eggs. Some of the many food. There is salsa and cheese and sour cream and onions to put on your eggs. One of the best breakfast ever. Not enough seating though. We had to sit on the side where there are two tables with only two charis. The pool wasn't much very small and only 3 feet deep. Other than that great staff, great breakfast, and great location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Don S
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I am a Marriott Platinum Elite (which means I spend way too much time in Marriott Hotels) and I've stayed in Marriott Residence Inns many times, but this reminded me of a mediocre remodel of a Motel 6. I have no idea who designed the furniture, but you couldn't get your hand into the nightstand drawers, The rooms (unlike most RIs) were miniscule - I have no idea how ANY family could fit in one; the food buffets were poorly done. The staff were pleasent enough but except for the valet staff, generally lacking initiative. I noted in other reviews that other guests had good internet connectivity - ours was non-existent. Guests should be aware that there are NO pay per view movie channels, and very limited TV channels for viewing. We broke down and got a DVD player in order to try to enjoy something on the TV - otherwise the reception was of very poor quality. It seems that all the other reviews were of 2 bedroom or one bedroom suites. Let me tell you - those may be ok - the rest of the rooms are smaller than the master bath in my house (including what passed for the "kitchen".).
On two of the days, the cleaning staff did not clean kitchen utensis, though the notes told us to leave them and they would be cleaned. Items were not refilled ot replaced.
I really can't say enough except BUYER BEWARE! I suppose unless you can wrangle a suite of of these people - DON'T GO!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Sandees38
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful at this hotel. The location was great, being so close to restaurants and the Petco ballpark. The room was spacious and very clean and comfortable. Also a very short drive from the San Diego airport. The complimentary breakfast worked great too. I would totally stay here again and recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: The 10th floor room we had gave a nice view of downtown.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Little_Leesa_1
Reviewed August 6, 2012

For quite an expensive hotel, the breakfast was disorganised, chaotic and extremely disappointing- long queues, nowhere to sit, plastic plates - totally not in keeping with the rest of the hotel. Apart from this, the staff are good, hotel is clean and in a good location. Parking is very expensive and the pool is a giant puddle full of children - not quite what we had anticipated. Staff very helpful

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank JanR83
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Many pros: staff, cleanliness, quiet, security, Internet/TV, breakfast/snacks, accurate thermostats

Undecideds/neutrals: location, inconsistent room amenities, curious room features

Cons: none

Our party of four voted unanimously that service is the outstanding feature of Marriott Residence Inn - Gaslamp Quarter. Everyone - curbside valet parkers/bellhops, front desk personnel, food servers, bartenders, and those who maintained our suites - was both friendly and genuinely interested in making our visit a good one. Any question about the hotel or San Diego became their immediate priority, and they provided useful answers. This was particularly true of the front desk, where staff greeted us by name almost every time we passed. When we needed a car for a day, the front desk arranged for it conveniently and at a good price. When we asked about walking directly to the blue trolley line without transferring from the orange, one of them offered to walk with us!

Every area of the hotel was perfectly clean.

We had no hallway or street noise in either suite, both of which were on the back of the 6th floor, overlooking the pool and workout areas (open on the far end above a street level patio bar with live music). We heard nothing.

The four elevators and the pool area required guests to insert their key cards, security features we liked. (We noted, incidentally, that no one had to wait for an elevator at any time during our five-night stay.)

We had superb TV reception in both suites. Internet connectivity was excellent upstairs and at the computers in the lobby. We liked having a wall-mounted TV we could pull forward and swivel to various angles. Oddly, no angle worked for the couch that sat beside the TV against the same wall.

Food quality for breakfast and afternoon snacks matched or exceeded what we have had at other hotels, and the service area was comfortable. While varied afternoon snacks made each one a surprise, breakfasts were almost the same every day. Be aware that afternoon hospitality occurs only on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays and that this benefit includes no "adult" beverages. Many guests took their snacks downstairs to the bar.

San Diego was very warm in the afternoon and almost chilly at night. Our accurate digital thermostats kept our desired temperature perfectly.

We are neutral or undecided about other aspects of the hotel. With seeing San Diego as our goal, we have not decided whether Marriot Residence Inn - Gaslamp was the best place to be. For example, beyond guidebooks we could have seen at home, we had no hint at the hotel that San Diego is on the water. It is close to the convention center and Petco Park, both of which are beautiful and just short walks away. Neither was our destination. The lower end of the 5th Avenue restaurant/entertainment area is behind the hotel. Otherwise, there was a sense of being on the far end of things. Before realizing how helpful the staff could be and before learning our way around the trolley system, we walked more than necessary and spent too much on San Diego's overly expensive taxis. The orange line trolley is just down around the corner; the blue line is a pleasant four or five blocks through Petco Park - when there is no ballgame. A game means additional walking. "Lower" and "down" are important words in this context because walking in other directions involves climbing. Because of our “lower” Gaslamp location, our sightseeing involved figuring out how to get from the hotel to most places we wanted to see.

As requested, the hotel provided a higher floor (6th of 13) and early arrival, so we did not complain. After renting two suites for five nights, however ($$$), I was disappointed to hear from other guests that some on higher floors could see the harbor.

More importantly and very fortunately for me, my wife and I had #616 rather than our other place, #617, because the others in our party had no bathtub (same price; same expectation; no warning). That situation would have been a deal-breaker for my wife and a problem for me.

I did not care that the bathroom had a sliding glass door or that the "bathroom" sink was in the bedroom. My fellow travelers thought those were very curious features.

Having a "full kitchen" factored into our choosing this hotel. Accustomed to renting condos, we were surprised to find no oven other than the microwave. (There was a large grill on the pool deck.) Otherwise, the kitchen was very adequate.

Cons: Although we have no true cons about this hotel, my wife hesitates about the inconsistency of not having a bathtub in our second suite. Both of us regretted not being able to open a window, simply because the outside air was so pleasant. My con is that I reserved and paid in advance for this through something called Marriott Vacations, airfare included. Although I had no complaints about the price, I experienced unneeded frustration when I called Marriott Vacations. I still do not know exactly what it is, but it seems to be another company outside the Marriott brand. My review of Marriott Vacations would be lower than my review of the hotel. I had the additional mystery of being alerted by American Express that my card was being charged outside my presence, by Marriott when I had no charges! Front desk knew nothing, although my American Express man in India seemed to understand the entire thing when I called the recommended number. All of which makes me less likely to buy another vacation package.

Room Tip: Higher floors seem to have views. If you need a bathtub, ask. If you require and oven, skip it. T...
3  Thank Lalo_de_Mexico
Reviewed August 1, 2012

First the good: great central location; clean; pleasant areas.

The bad: 1 bedroom suite awkward for family stays where 1 member has an early schedule. The pull-out couch nearly butted up against the doors to the master making exit in the mornings difficult without waking the kids; same with bathroom in the common area rather than in the master.. The fitness room is small with 3-4 cardio machines and only limited barbells for resistance--no machines.

The worst: The hotel's billing policy is outrageous. I stayed for a week and they billed my card in advance for the full 7 days. That reduced my available balance by $2,200. I can understand that, however, since they needed to be assured of payment. BUT, THEY THEN REDUCED MY AVAILABLE BALANCE BY $1,000 ADDITIONAL FOR EACH 3 DAYS OF MY STAY!!! SO AT THE END OF 6 DAYS THEY HAD TAKEN $4,200 OFF MY CARD!!! That put a severe crimp in my available balance for dining and nightlife. I have never heard of a hotel pre-charging TWICE the total stay amount to the card. Now they call it a pre-authorization, but the effect was to reduce my available balance. I argued with the front staff through out the stay but they just said that the way it was (thus my Poor rating for Service). So beware, if you stay here you will need a credit card balance of DOUBLE the hotel charge by the end of your stay or your card will be over-drawn. That policy may make me stay away from any Marriott properties in the future.

Room Tip: Make sure that layout and storage of 1 bedroom suite meets your needs. May be different configurati...
2  Thank boomertoo55
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Nice hotel downtown in the Gaslamp Quarter.
The suite was big and the kitchen fully equipped.

The only thing that didn't live up to expectations was the breakfast room. Much too small area so you had to line up for food and then for seating. And breakfast was served on paper/plastic plates, forks and knives etc. Not something you'd expect from a hotel like this.

1  Thank TSV