Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #40 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed June 2, 2012

It's hard to criticise anything about this hotel. The reception staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and the room cleaning was exceptional, we could really tell when the maid had been in, all credit to her Residence Inn. As a dog friendly hotel it was amusing, and sometime surprising, to be sharing the lift with canines, but they caused no problems. The valet only parking is expensive @ $38 but there is a public parking lot right next door @ $25 if you don't mind a 2 minute walk. Free wifi and the "continental" breakfast was far more than that with eggs & bacon included.

After 2 weeks on a cruise ship, we decided to spread out a little for 5 nights in a one bed suite, comprising king bed, plenty of storage, full bath with excellent shower, lounge with table and chairs and a kitchenette with fridge, microwave, hot plate, toaster, dishwasher and utensils. No kettle ( naturally!) but it was easy to boil a pan of water for a nice cup of tea - ah! Although there are a gazillion restaurants on the doorstep, it was nice to just buy a salad and eat "at home" for a change. If we had any complaint it was that we couldn't open a window to get some fresh air into the room.

The 24 hour laundry is a great facility and the small pool was a lovely sun trap at the end of a tiring day, just beware selfish parents who let their kids scream uncontrollably in the water whilst others are trying to read/ snooze in the sunshine! Walking distance to everywhere around town and very easy to catch a bus or tram to go farther afield ( the zoo etc). highly recommended, wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Thank you Residence Inn!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gill K

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Ive been living at this hotel for 4 months while my home is getting repaired, and I couldn't ask for a better experience. The hotel is beautiful, the room is so comfortable, and the location is perfect. But the best part is the staff. The managers, front desk, bartenders, cooks, and especially those valet guys! They make my days and nights so enjoyable! They've taken such good care of me and are so friendly and personable. They're like my family now.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We arrived hear with friends and found out that there was only valet parking. The attendant was nice and friendly . Staff was nice and helpful. This hotel is kid friendly, as we were traveling with two kids ourselves. They have a fabulouse breakfast with waffles, oatmeal , eggs etc....the dinning room is not big but can accommodate a nice size of people . For those business travelers, this is a great hotel because of the wifi they offer . Lobby is beautiful and the lounge is nice with a full bar. It is a nice ,clean hotel .

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I stayed here 4 nights on business with several coworkers. We all really enjoyed this hotel and its location to many restaurants. The studio room was clean and the perfect size for just me --one bed with a kitchenette. I really only needed the refrigerator though to keep my drinks cold. There's a CVS nearby to buy drinks or other things for your trip. I had the free breakfast at the hotel every morning and the food was good. My favorite is the waffles that you pour into the waffle iron and make yourself. It also had fruit, yogurt, toast, juice, and some hot items like eggs, but I really only cared about the waffles. I didn't eat at the manager's reception because my coworkers and I went out each night. We liked Fred's (mexican) and the Fish Market (seafood).
The friendly staff here really made this hotel exceptional. From the valet guys to the front desk staff, I was welcomed back every day. Kelly and Colleen took care of anything that I needed (directions, recommendations on where to eat, extra popcorn, etc). I don't know who makes it for them, but that Residence Inn popcorn is sooo good. Kelly and Colleen also talked with me about my trip and what's going on in the news. Interacting with them really made my day. I will defintely stay at this hotel again when in town.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Newer Residence Inn. The rooms are new and clean. Great location in Gas Lamp district. Very friendly staff always wanting to be helpful. Food was good and above average for Residence Inns. I would stay there on my next trip to San Diego

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I had read all the good reviews, and so I expected the hotel to be quite good, but it exceeded my expectations. In particular, my husband is a very light sleeper, and so I was a bit worried about staying in the gaslamp district. However, on our first day there, he said, "I can see a helicopter outside, but I can't hear it." There are some regular noises within the room (such as the fridge, and the sliding door for the bathroom). We never heard any street noise. Note that the bathroom sink is outside the bathroom, basically in the bedroom next to the bed. Generally, though, the room layout is good, with the kitchen facing away from the bedroom. Even though it is just one big room, it feels like two rooms (1) kitchen/dining/living and (2) bedroom/bathroom. The dining table is for 2 people. The kitchen has everything you would need (dishes, a toaster, microwave, a rangetop with 2 elements, a large fridge, and a dishwasher (which the housekeeper will take care of for you). There is a Ralph's grocery store at G and 2nd streets, not far away, and a CVS nearby as well.
The hotel breakfast is from 6am to 9am weekdays (1/2 hour later on weekends), so we missed it a couple of times, but when we ate it, it was better than many of the chain hotels breakfasts we have had. I think the sausage patties were from frozen, but the eggs tasted like someone just broke the shells on them and whipped them up, and they also had extra toppings for your eggs, such as fresh green onions, cheese, and sour cream. There was a wide selection - fresh honeydew melon, yogurt, oatmeal, breads and pastries, potato wedges, several juices, 2 types of milk, etc.
The location is very convenient. We walked a lot of places, but also took the transit system in various directions, and none of the trolleys or buses was too far of a walk away. If you are parking at the hotel, the price seemed to fluctuate by time of day ($38 in the morning, down to $10 by nightfall). Check the hotel website for specials, as I think I saw one where parking was included. If you do use the transit system, you can have unlimited travel on all buses and trolleys for $5 per day. A single fare is $2.25 one way. You must have exact change. The buses have little route maps available on board behind the driver. The buses have different final running times, so we usually tried to be heading home before midnight or just after.
We used the coin operated laundromat on the second floor, and it was $2 for a wash, $1.75 for a dryer load, and $1.25 each for Tide laundry detergent and 2 sheets of Bounce. The machines did not damage any of our clothes, and were clean. (We had to get change from the front desk when their change machine didn't accept our bills.) The free wifi works in the laundry room. Actually, there is a bench just outside the room, and the outdoor pool with patio furniture seating is also nearby.
For security, you need your room key in the elevator to access your floor.
I was disappointed not to be able to buy stamps at the front desk, but I am sure they will fix the ink on their stamp machine soon, as they seem to aim to please. Overall, an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. The ones I saw all looked good, and I know there are no rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller2702
Reviewed May 9, 2012

A great location for exploring San Diego; we love being so close to bars, restaurants and nightlife without our good night's sleep being interrupted! Comfy beds, clean rooms, decent breakfast (though, like another reviewer said - a bit samey after a few days) wonderful, friendly and well-informed reception staff. We'd definitely stay here on our next trip to San Diego.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple