“Excellent hotel for downtown Gaslamp District” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #34 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
California
“Excellent hotel for downtown Gaslamp District”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

I booked our weekend stay here and was pleasantly surprised by hotel (being in a busy downtown area). Rooms are beautiful, sound proof and very well maintained. Breakfast was plentiful and offered a nice variety of items. Parking is expensive but there are other offsite options close by. Walking distance to some of the best restaurants in San Diego, Petco Park and convention center.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MtgPlannerLA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and I went on a quick 1 week vacation to San Diego. We stayed 3 nights at this hotel at the beginning of our trip, left travelling for 2 nights and then returned for our last night before flying out.

The front desk staff was extremely courteous and professional. They made is really feel at home and were very helpful in all regards.

I got a great AAA rate when I booked online not expecting too much. On arrival and check in I felt I had hit the jackpot. This hotel has a simple but elegant feel. Our suite was comfortable and clean. The exercise facility and pool area were well maintained and perfect for our purposes.

We never made use of the lobby bar but others seemed to be enjoying it.

The daily, included breakfast, exceeded our expectations with hot scrambled eggs, potatoes & meats. Additionally there was assortment of cereals, yogurts, breads, juices and coffee. There was always a selection of fresh fruit too.

The location is right in the middle of the trendy Gaslamp Quarter with scores of restaurants, bars and shops in the immediate area. It's a short walk to the convention center and has easy access to buses and the tram for longer trips.

Even though it was in a busy area it was very quite in our room.

I would definitely stay here again - especially if I got the great rate again!

Room Tip: We chose a higher floor so we would not hear street noise. It was very quite but I suspect that migh...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roy U
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

Parking is downside of hotel. Other than that everything else was fabulous. The location was a plus. Breakfast was a nice touch and the food kept coming.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

This hotel far exceeds other Residence Inns. It has an excellent location: right in the heart of the Gaslamp District, and is modern, clean, and has a friendly staff. The hotel has valet parking, but you can park right across the street for at least $10 less (lot only accepts cash payment). The rooms are modern and clean. I had a Queen-sized bed; I'd make sure you get a King. They offer all the kitchen amenities as well. Free breakfast and weekday evening snacks are also a plus and a great incentive over other hotels. The breakfast offers eggs, potatoes, oatmeal, bagels, cereal, yogurt, fruit, etc. The gym and pool are located on the rooftop of its third floor. The gym is small, but overlooks the crowds in the Gaslamp and each cardio machine offers its own tv. I will definitely stay at this hotel again. It offers a great value over others in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

Everything about my stay at the Residence Inn was amazing. My sister and I were visiting San Diego in November. We choose the hotel for it's great location and closeness to the convention center, which was only a 4 block walk away. From the beginning the staff at the hotel was friendly and helpful. The bell boys, front desk staff, maid service and morning breakfast staff all made our stay at the hotel amazing. The area in itself was also great. The Gas Lamp is a busy area with numerous restaurants for eating and stores to shop in. In the evening many of the homeless come out, which makes the area seem a little seedy, but I've heard this is the case all over California.

We arrived at the hotel early for check in, but the staff was happy to give us a room. We had booked a King bed, but our room had a Queen. When we mentioned this to the staff they were more than happy to change us to a room with a bigger bed. The rooms themselves were beautiful. From the decor to the kitchen, which had every tool and device I could ask for, the room was contemporary and comfortable. Being from NY I can tell you that the entire room would be the envy of any resident used to small apartment living. One of the other reasons we chose the hotel was for the morning breakfast that was included. I had to arrive early at the convention so I didn't want the hassle of trying to find someplace to eat. I was pleasantly surprised at the diversity of the food that was offered. They had different types of hot/cold cereal, breads, hot eggs, sausage and a waffle maker so you can custom make your own waffles. Of course, coffee/tea and various juices. All presented in a very clean and pleasant atmosphere, albeit a little small for the number of people that were staying at the hotel.

At the end of our stay, checkout was a breeze. I had an early morning flight to catch and had to leave before breakfast. When I inquired about where I could get breakfast before leaving they told me not to worry. The breakfast attendant was there and he made me up a box of food to take with me on my trip home. It was so very nice of them.

If I return to San Diego I will definitely be staying at the Residence Inn again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

One word description - wow!

We stayed here over Christmas 2011 and despite the hotel being fully booked with tons of dogs and kids, the staff was absolutely amazing!

The front desk and bell stand were not just staffed but over-staffed. We never had to stand in line for long without someone answering our questions.

Our room was very comfortable and quiet even though we were surrounded by neighbors.

The complimentary breakfast was terrific but the staff could not keep up with the demand during prime eating times over the holiday weekend. It probably also didn't help that kids were running wild and grabbing things off the buffet left and right without adult supervision. Is a 5 year old really going to eat 4 yogurts? No, he didn't and I'm sure other guests would have appreciated the excess.

The place if very dog friendly. You pay $50 for the privilege of staying with your dog and you get nothing in return like a pet goody bag offered by other hotels.

Tip: The bar lobby is totally dog friendly. You can enjoy drinks and appetizers with your pooches. The bartender had two dogs of her own and she was terrific about coming over to socialize with our dogs so we had great service.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank WISCGirl
Ft Worth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

This is the nicest Residence Inn I've ever stayed in. Beautiful lobby and friendly, helpful staff.

Room was comfortable and had everything we needed.

Hotel is within walking distance to all the Gaslamp Quarter has to offer.

Free breakfast was great!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family