“Great location for after work dining and entertainment” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Residence Inn San Diego Downtown/Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #34 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Centennial, Colorado
“Great location for after work dining and entertainment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

The hotel is one block off 5th Avenue which is where the majority of the Gaslamp Quarter restaurants and bars are located. The hotel was in very good condition and the staff very helpful. I found the hotel to be very quiet, clean and comfortable considering it's downtown location. Everthing you want to do in San Diego is relatively close, so getting to the airport, Old Town, Mission Bay or even La Jolla was a fast trip from downtown.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

I attended a conference at the Convention Center in San Diego last week and thankfully stayed at The Residence Inn Downtown. The location allowed me to walk everywhere. The convention center, the marina, the gaslamp quarter and the trolley car! Even better, my room was luxurious with down comforters, fluffy pillows and a beautiful spa-like bathroom. I travel more than most people and a nice hotel is valued by the staff. Emily, at the Front Desk, set the tone for a nice stay. She offered help, directions, and tips about the area. Other staff (breakfast crew, doormen, and the bartender!) indeed followed in Emily's style too. Thank you---I will indeed return.

Elkhart, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

We stayed here the night before a cruise. The hotel is in a great location with lots of restaurants nearby and it's only two blocks from the trolley station. The rooms are a little smaller than I've had at other Residence Inns, but were perfectly adequate for three of us. I was never aware of sounds in the hall or from other rooms. Big breakfast with eggs, sausage, make-your-own waffles, biscuits, hot and cold cereals, and much more. Breakfast room was always clean and picked up. Small pool, but big enough for a quick refreshing dip. The internet was fast and more reliable than what I have at home.

After our cruise San Diego harbor was closed due to the tsunami threat, causing us to miss our flight and needing to spend another night in San Diego. We called the Residence Inn and they were very helpful. They actually remembered us from the week before and told us to come on over, they would take care of us. And take care of us they did. They were friendly and simpathetic to our frustration. Even the valet was great. When my daughter realized her cell phone had fallen out of her pocket in the cab, one of the valets ran a block and a half down the street waving his arms. The cab stopped and he got the phone for her.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Roanoke, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

The hotel visit was perfect. Great new facility and an even greater location!!!

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

wonderful. we were a little loud and had a lot of fun. we will be back with another crowd in may. its my kids 21 b-day

Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

So, it's hard for me to not have my review tainted by the fact that I had trouble connecting to the internet and no one seemed to care. For me, being able to connect is a pretty big deal. The front desk was totally indifferent and gave me an offshore help desk, which after 45 minutes was able to assist. I called the front desk while waiting, and they simply told me that the internet was working for them and implied it was my computer. Eventually, the offshore folks called me back and helped me connect. Even once connected, the service was spotty. I really couldn't stay here for business, simply because I must have reliable internet.

The rooms were very small, which was a suprise for a Residence Inn. There was the traditional frig, stovetop etc. However, it was tightly wedged within the room. The room certainly isn't any larger than a traditional downtown hotel. The bathroom vanity is actually in the room itself, which is just odd. I wouldn't stay in the room with anyone other than a spouse, because it's a little close.

The location is really wonderful. However, looking around there are two very nice hotels within the same block. I certainly would consider investigating them if I were to return.

The workout room was undersized. This is a fairly large hotel from a room number perspective. The workout room consists of two treadmills and two ellipticals. Wake up early if you are planning on working out or do some research ahead of time and see if there is a nearby gym.

Despite a great location, I wouldn't choose this hotel again.

1 Thank AnotherHoustonian
Shelby Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2011

I have stayed in world class hotels, from the Tower Thistle in London to the Aksaka Prince in Tokyo and the RISD/GQ has the best customer service I have ever experienced.
The managers are so accomidating, valet is fast and curtious and even the cook is very polite. I will recommend this hotel to all headed to San Diego.

Chris Tiede