“Just OK”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Upas Street
Transit: City Bus #2 goes up and down 30th Street, stopping within a block of the restaurant.
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

Minimal menu selection done soso. They also would not honor our groupons in a big party, even though there was no fine print.

Uni was fun for the table.

Visited December 2011

San Diego, California
“Great ambience in south park!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

Had a Groupon and had wanted to try Sea Rocket's locally sourced food so decided to give it a go......
Nice, cosy restaurant with a neutral decor. Very small menu (good for those of us who are indecisive) but there wasn't anything on it that really grabbed my attention. Eventually settled on a beet salad, smoked squid salad (no smoke flavor at all), sea urchin crostini and home made gnocchi for main course. Beet salad great, as was the gnocchi....pan fried so brown and crispy, not soggy as you will find in Italian style eateries.
Pros.....interesting menu, not pretentious.
Cons...small portions, somewhat salty, limited menu, limited parking.

Chef was talking to selected tables but I guess we weren't important enough. :(

Would go back but have other places I want to try first....

• Visited November 2011
San Diego, California
“Great tastes at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

Went in with my daughter and son-in-law to be greeted by professional and friendly Dutch waitress. Each dish was a great taste sensation from butternut squash soup, to fish tacos, very spice grilled red peppers, and bread with homey and garlic butter. The Lightning Elemental pilsner brewed in Poway was light and clear, an excellent choice at happy hour prices. Mains included sautéed scallops in an excellent creamy sauce and shrimp, portions not large but prices matching. A friendly, local bistro with good atmosphere and salsa style music in the background. Well done,

• Visited October 2011
Vista, California
“Fresh and Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

If you love fresh locally sourced food this is the place to visit. My wife had the Sea Urchin Crostini and we both loved it. I had the Steamer clams and they were the freshest I have ever had. For her meal my wife tried the grass fed burger and it was definitely the best burger either of us had tasted. They also have many locally brewed beers on tap.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank ShaunV
Tucson, Arizona
“OMG! Bacon Jam - Really? REALLY!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Visited Sea Rocket Bistro when recently in San Diego because the owner's mother is a dance friend of mine. I was so pleasantly surprised all around. I loved the food philosophy of using sustainable seafood and organic, local sources. The menu is small, but enough to choose from that everyone should be happy. The soup of the day, asparagus, was truly fresh tasting, right out of the garden. We ordered local roasted nuts with herbs and delighted in the almonds and walnuts with rosemary...who knew that pan roasted herbs were good just in themselves! When I read the menu description of the grass-fed beef burger, I just had to try it. OMG! Bacon Jam - really? REALLY! I am begging for the recipe. It was an outstanding burger. Juicy, yet lean, and the roll seemed a bit sweet also...really wonderful. My husband thought the scallops were great too and he ate all his veggies (without comlaint!). We shared a carrot cake like none I have ever experienced. It was rich with fresh and candied ginger. The setting is two intimate dining rooms, very casual with windows that open onto the sidewalk where there are also a few bistro tables. Tucked away in North Park area, I would return often if I lived there for sure. While we took a cab because of the night hour and our time restraints, Sea Rocket is on the bus line. The service was a bit spotty due to a change in who took our order and who was actually our server - but our actual server noticed we did not have our entree in a timely fashion and "made good" by comping our dessert. Rest of service was provided with a smile and our water carafe was always refilled. We enjoyed ourselves and would definitely return. Give it a try.

• Visited August 2011