“Even the salad dressing is to die for!”

Pomodoro Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #174 of 4,989 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This restaurant was recommended by someone in the AAA Westways magazine. Since I love Italian food I had been waiting to try it and finally had my chance tonight. First of all, it's a really cute place and has outdoor seating. I shared a salad with my friend. It was a plain green salad without all the toppings American restaurants so often have. The dressing was absolutely delicious - a somewhat creamy balsamic vinegar dressing! It was so hard to decide what to eat because it all sounded wonderful. And I could see the waiters delivering heaping plates of food to other tables. I finally decided on the pork osso bucco. It was delicious! I never would have guessed it was pork. The meat was so tender and juicy. (They have both pork and veal osso bucco and the waiter recommended the pork). It normally comes with risotto but I asked for pasta instead. Really yummy! I couldn't finish it all so took some home. I will definitely be coming back to try other items on the menu. The only reason I gave the restaurant a "very good" rating for atmosphere is because we were right next to the kitchen and it was very noisy.

2  Thank maringfro

Reviewed June 2, 2014

The Pomodoro is located in Shelter Island, close to Humphreys and other hotels. My husband said his salmon was the best he's ever had anywhere. My spaghetti was good, but a little salty. Our daughter's chicken dish was very tasty, and the Pomodoro is a favorite place of hers, so when family visits from out of town, she always suggests it. The sangria was really good also. The portions are generous, but a)make reservations, and b) consider eating early in the evening, as parking can be a challenge as the evening progresses.

1  Thank beachfan28
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I would recommend! Great Ravioli and Crème Brule!!! You can't go wrong with this Restaurant. Just around the corner from Shelter Island.

1  Thank duranie10
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Seven of us met here for dinner on Mother's Day. Seated us immediately and let us have a leisurely meal, which was appreciated as some of us had not seen each other in over 30 years! Most everyone enjoyed their food. The only complaint was that the lasagna seemed to be swimming in sauce. Too much of a good thing! Welcoming atmosphere, good waitstaff, reasonable prices...what more could you ask for???

Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Generous portions of very tasty food. Rustic decor. Attentive staff and appeared to be busy even on a Monday night.