“Delicious!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I really wanted to try this restaurant after seeing TA reviews but was a little worried taking our 6yo son, but he was made very welcome. The food, wines and service were fantastic, my only negative, being an indoor/outdoor restaurant were the abundance of flies buzzing around. Having said that we all would recommend this restaurant highly!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

If anyone tells you this is the "best" Italian food they've had, then I must politely disagree.

But it's good, not average, so I gave 4 stars.

PROS:

A lot depends on when you arrive. We were alone for 20 minutes, so we got a nice spot alongside the wall.

When I asked for (and read) about this place, the one constant I received was "great pizza". Well, I don't go to Italian restaurants for pizza. I have my favorite pizza eateries, and those places only make pizza.

When I checked out the online menu, I was DISAPPOINTED not to see butternut squash ravioli, or a similar entree on it. I must have spent nearly an hour wrestling over the food. FInally, I told myself, "I don't care what I eat, as long as I enjoy it." So I ordered the pizza. Great pizza!

OK, let me backtrack on why I ended up at Pomo's. My son was graduating from nearby Point Loma Nazarene University. It was Cinco de Mayo, so our first choice, an upscale Mexican restaurant in Old Town, was definitely off. Upscale or Taco Bell, you don't go to a Mexican restaurant on Cinco de Mayo. (Not unless you're working on your second margarita, and you don't mind yelling over the mariachis, trumpets and fellow, smashed compatriots).

So then I began looking for lunch places in Point Loma. Unfortunately, the graduation ended at 2:30 and, with photos, etc. afterwards, I knew our dining wouldn't begin until "No man's hour." Most of the Italian restaurants in the harbor area of Point Loma wouldn't be serving food until 5 p.m., their lunch hours was over.

So I chose Pomo's.

What made the dining experience memorable was the company. There were 11 of us. Most of the diners enjoyed their food. My son (the graduate) had the spaghetti, but said (meh) it was a lot like my spaghetti. (Fine, no Prego for you). He helped himself to the pizza, which was immense and crammed with stuff.

CONS:

Well, I've mentioned a few already. The food isn't as good as Peohe's, but it is less expensive. No view, however.

There's "outdoor seating" under a canopy, but there isn't a view of the harbor. Actually, there isn't a view of anything.

People like the "twinkling lights" in the restaurant. I hear that all the time. So If you like twinkling lights, then by all means...

IN CLOSING:

I don't plan on rushing back. However, my princess and I might return for wine, twinkling lights, and "great pizza!"

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I read all the reviews of Italian restaurants and really don't understand what the arguments about 'authentic' mean. But I do know what intensely flavourful food and a good wine list are, and this place had both. I had a standard calamari fritti appetiser, very well done, tender and delicately spiced. An unfortunate choice in a way. It was such a large plateful I struggled to give full attention to the superb swordfish special I had for entree. But my wife saved herself for slow cooked pork and mushroom on creamy risotto main that is one of the best meals we have had in a long time. They called it pork osso bucco for some reason - which would get some people arguing about authenticity but just had me trying to pinch bits of my wife's entree while she was't looking. Superb soulful food.

Decent good value wine list too, heavy on north Italian stuff. There are some really good bargains to be had in that part of the world, and whoever put this wine list together knew where to look.

God neighbourhood restaurant, easy quick service, reasonable prices, and food way ahead of the price bracket. I wish we lived in SD so this could be a regular treat.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I should start this by saying that I NEVER eat out italian food. I'm pretty good at actually cooking really good italian inspired food when at home. I can't really can't stand most italian inspired, non authentic places. But, I was not at home and had a craving for italian food. We chose Pomodoro, and they rocked it! I was torn between 2 dishes and the waiter recommended Fettuccini Piemontesi out of my choices. Awesome!! Hubby loved his meal too! Would go back in a heart beat! Parking wasn't the easiest, as they do not have a specified parking lot. So go early and park around the block.

Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

The food was outstanding. The service was fantastic. The server spoke a little Italian. The ambiance was awesome. If you like Italian food that won't cost you & arm & a leg Pomodoro is your place to eat. We'll be back again!