“Awesome desserts”

Truluck's Seafood, Steak and Crab House
Reserve with OpenTable
Truluck's Seafood, Steak and Crab House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 4,964 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: La Jolla Village Drive
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Awesome seafood and desserts. A great addition to San Diego. Good for special occasions. Hate how trip advisor has a 100 character minimum.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Trulucks was outstanding in many respects. The seafood was fabulous. The range and price was excellent. The blends of flabours in the dishes was flavoursome without over powering the seafood. We had S&P calimari as a starter, it was a fraction heavy of the bread/batter, but very fresh, well cooked and not chewy/tough. We followed with the crab cocktail. The highlight of this was the large crab pieces ready to eat. There was no fussing around with cracking shells and digging out the flesh. We also tried the Lobster bisque. It was also delicious. The horseradish was subtle, but it could have had a little more lobster.

The Hallibut was excellent. Almost like a white salmon. It was soft and creamy on the palet. I opted for the bernaise add on which included 3 shrimp and some shredded crab, plus the sauce. This was nicely done and I choose the asparagus side which worked really well with the bernaise.

The crab leg (which you can buy one-by-one) was fresh and tasty, but Australians should be aware it tastes nothing like sandcrab or mudcrab from Australia. It's a cold water crab and doesn't have the salty taste of the crabs served in Australia.

Other posters have noted the benefit of having Andrew as your waiter. He was happy to accommodate any request and his knowledge of both the menu and winelist was excellent.

The winelist was extensive and the sparkling, chardonnay and sav blanc we had recommended by Andrew were all outstanding. If there was any downside it was the wine was a little expensive (perhaps 10-15% above most fine dinging restaurants). We were out for a special occasion so we didn't mind, but this might be important to some.

And finally, the chap in the hat on the piano. What was the manager thinking? He'd start a tune and then stop and switch to something else and at one stage, he stopped singing mid tune to talk to someone who was walking by. Very odd.

But don't let a bum note from the pianist put you off. This place is first class. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We were visiting San Diego for the week and started our trip with dinner at Truluck's due to its TA rating and reviews. We were not disappointed.

Our server was Matt who did a superb job and made the whole evening quite enjoyable.

We started with the cold shellfish platter for two and then we both had the Miso Seabass which was just fantastic.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

I could not fantasize about a better gastronomic experience than eating here. YOU MUST LOVE SEAFOOD! If you don't , don't waste your time & money. But if you do...oh buddy are you in for a treat.

Ask for Andrew Rabb if he's available to be your server, the other times we've eaten here other servers have done a fine job too.

Warm tomato salad when it's in season is to die for.

South African Lobster, so rich it doesn't need butter.

Miso-wasbai glazed anything...

no matter what you order you won't be disappointed, and remember you get what you pay for...

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Happy Hour at this spot is ridiculous. Luscious martinis, signature cocktails, desserts and food....all reasonably priced at $6-9 for food, and $6-7 for cocktails. With a relaxed, dimmed atmosphere with live pianists with vocals, can you beat this for date night?

As everyone I've spoken to has said--order their crab cake! It's $9 so it's the highest priced item on the menu; but it's SO worth it. It's made mostly of crab, not fillers or breading. It's 5 oz so I would get it for two if you're getting a few apps, if not I say have it to yourself! The bacon cheeseburgers were also delish, and we topped it all off with their carrot cupcake. For $2 their cupcake was so rich....and that butterscotch drizzle with toasted pecans on top? To die for.

I've dined here a couple of times, and their entrees are out of this world. Their scallops, filet mingon, and parmesan mashed potatoes are the best I've ever had. Their wine list is also impressive. The ambiance is romantic, so this place is perfect for a date night or casual night out with friends and family. You don't see too many kids there, but there are kid menu options, as I've learned from when I brought my little brother there with my family.

**For parking, it's street parking. However, my husband and I always utilize the Hyatt parking garage (I recommend walking through the hotel, it's very classy, and use their elevator to get to the floor with Truluck's!)--you can get your parking ticket validated inside Truluck's or it's $4 an hour.

If you haven't wined and dined here yet, you're seriously missing out!