New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Exceeded my expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Truluck's Seafood Steak and Crab - La Jolla

Truluck's Seafood Steak and Crab - La Jolla
Reserve with OpenTable
Truluck's Seafood Steak and Crab - La Jolla is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 4,546 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: La Jolla Village Drive
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Exceeded my expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Had dinner with a colleague here during a recent business trip to La Jolla. It was on the property of the Hyatt La Jolla. I didn't know anything about the restaurant so my expectations were not high, but I was very impressed and would definitely go back given the opportunity.

Very energetic and vibrant "scene," including some nice live piano, yet you were still able to talk over dinner without shouting.

Impressive menu selection with an emphasis one freshness and minimalism. Even so, there were some more involved creative and gourmet options. My fish was excellent! The restaurant also offered stone crab which is amazing. I did not have it here, but I highly recommend it. My fish taste of stone crab came at the famous restaurant in Miami Beach, near South Beach. The name escapes me but I'm sure many know the place I'm talking about.

Wine list was impressive and varied.

Service was excellent. The waiter was very knowledeable and not afraid to offer honest recommendations. I very much appreciate that.

The only slight downer? The dessert, at least the one I had, was only mediocre.

• 3 of 5 stars

• Korean first
San Diego, California
“best crab claws in san diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant has the greatest and freshest crab claws. We have eaten there several times, the latest on 5-6-13, and each time, the service is superb, the food is outstanding, and the ambiance is perfect. This is the restaurant that we go to whenever we "yearn " for crab claws

San Diego, California, Usa
“Fabulous Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went to Truluck's in early May, 2013, and had an incredible meal from start to finish. Wonderful ambience, the restaurant was that perfect degree of busy that enhances your meal without detracting from service (piano player, pleasant hum of talking, fairly private booths), our server was fantastic, and the meal was incredible. We brought our daughters, and they both enjoyed their meal as well, even though there is no kids menu per se. Our server went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. We shared a crab appetizer, and I had the Miso-Glazed Seabass, which was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. My 9 year old thought it was wonderful as well. It was a birthday dinner, and the restaurant surprised us with a fabulous chocolate bread pudding with cherries jubilee - the flaming dessert was a hit. Fantastic meal; we will be back.

• 3 of 5 stars
Singapore, Singapore
“Truly good Truluck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Surprised this place isn't ranked higher. It was a group of 15 of us and we ordered appertisers to share. The shrimp and crab cakes were good. The austrian riesling was a good accompaniment. We all ordered seafood and everyone liked their mains. My chilean sea bass was the best i've ever had so far. They grill it so well, the juices flow out with each bite. It was so fresh. We shared their giant slices of carrot and chocolate cake. The former is also probably the best i've had so far

Chicago, Illinois
“Tremendous restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have eaten at over 1000 restaurants and can say the restaurant, food and service puts it in my top 5.

The atmosphere is classy without being stuffy and even though it was crowded the noise level was not loud at all. The way they have booths set up it makes it intimate and you dont see allot of other diners.

The service was fantastic from the hostess, the waiter and the manager even called me the next day to just if i had a good experience at the restaurant.

The shrimp cocktail was excellent and the crab and steak entrees were as well. The sides mac and cheese, potatos were also very good and the carrot cake dessert was one if the best i have ever had.

I would receommned this restaurant for anything, a special occasion, romantic night out or dinner with friends...

If you go to san diego you need to try this restaurant, you wont be disapointed.

Visited April 2013