“Interesting hotel”

Ranked #21 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
baltimore
“Interesting hotel”
Reviewed April 5, 2010

The hotel has strong potential, but it needs some attention to details. The rooms are large and well appointed, but my room was not clean. There was evidence of the previous user, with residual food on the carpets and other remnants in the closets. The parking is also difficult to figure out, and getting out without getting charged required that we talk with the parking lot manager, who is not there most of the time. Also, since a lot of the hotel is self serve, late arrival is difficult.

However, the rates are quite good for what you get, and the location is convenient for the downtown experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Seattle
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We live in a 100 year old house. The suite reminded me of home. Quiet, elegant and comfortable. Modern kitchen and bathroom added to the comfort. I wish I had time to enjoy myself, and that my wife could have been with me. We will come back.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
soup57
Reviewed March 7, 2010

luxurious 3 room suite at $129//night. gaslamp district near convention
center. fantastic rooms, location, price!!! only drawback is night club downstairs a little noisy (until 2am) so ask for room on top floor at front of building for best noise level. recommend this hotel to anyone!! no front desk on duty before 10am or after 7pm so traveler who is independent, or staying long stretch (rooms have full kitchens)is best candidate for here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
southern cal
Reviewed March 4, 2010

Wow, what a surprise! My husband and I booked a suite at the William Penn Hotel for our Anniversary over Valentine's weekend. I had no idea what we would be getting. I have to admit that the ancient elevator scared me to death, and I chose to take the stairs, but when I opened the door to our "suite", I danced for joy! It was really an apartment with a large living room overlooking the Gas Lamp, a full kitchen with all of the dishes, glasses, etc that we needed, a dining nook, full bedroom and walk in closet. I could have moved in it was so
nice and so tastefully done. Our only issues were the elevator and the noise from the bars at night, but other than that, I would DEFINITELY come here again!

Scottsdale, Az
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I was surprised at how cute, chic and urban this boutique hotel turned out. The rooms were very spacious and clean. I enjoyed the stay. The only downfall is that it is located where the clubs and bars are and can get quite noisy at night. This can also be an upside if you're there to go to those clubs and bars.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 4, 2010

After much searching and comparing prices and space and amenities included as well as factoring in location, we decided on the William Penn based off of other reviews. We booked the room for $139 for a one night stay. The building is really like a small apartment complex turned into a hotel. Our unit had a living room area, a kitchen and dining area, a space for correspondence, the bedroom, and a very large bathroom. The kitchen comes with everything you could possibly need from making breakfast to uncorking a wine bottle. There is a flat screen tv in the living room with a dvd player and another flat screen tv in the bedroom. The place is very well decorated and it was a very clean hotel. The only complaint was falling asleep to some noise and din due to the fact that it is right in the heart of the gaslamp district. If you bring some earplugs and have had a few drinks, not that difficult to sleep through the noise. We only stayed for one night and the hotel was spacious and relaxing. If we need to visit the gaslamp area again, will definitely be returning to this hotel!

sdnatalie
Reviewed March 4, 2010

Right in the heart of the Gaslamp District, the William Penn Hotel was an old historic hotel that has managed to keep its charm over the years, yet the rooms still have all the modern amenities you could ask for. We felt right at home here. The rooms are basically fully furnished apartments with full kitchens stocked with a coffee maker, blender, utencils, dishes, full size refrigerator, etc. The bed was super comfortable, and the couch was equally as cozy. The hotel is located in the middle of everything –– great shops, bars, restaurants, night clubs. We tried as many eating and drinking establishments as possible during our stay and we had a great time! And thanks to William Penn’s central location, we had no problem walking back to the hotel after a long night on the town. Downtown San Diego is a great place to be, and the William Penn Hotel is my new favorite hotel there. We’ll Be Back!