“I wish I could give this place negative ratings!!!!”
Review of William Penn Hotel

William Penn Hotel
William Penn Hotel
Ranked #22 of 34 San Diego B&B and Inns
“I wish I could give this place negative ratings!!!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I always thought I would do a positive review on this places due to multiple stays and my brother renting out a whole floor for his wedding but this last stay has put a BAD taste in my mouth! I will never stay at that so called hotel again!

BEWARE!!!!!! This can not be a meeting place before heading out to a club or bars, even though it is the heart of gaslamp.

We were in gaslamp to celebrate my cousin's graduation. All my cousins were in town from as far as LA and riverside. Some cousins and siblings  live in San Diego. We planned on meeting at our hotel before we headed out to a club. There was is older man (so called receptionist) ...last time I checked receptionist are usually more helpful and a lot nicer. The first thing this guy says to us is "you know there's only 4 people to a room?!!" Not nice at all, actually very rude! Even after my boyfriend told him at everyone was just meeting here or changing here. He just kept following us every time we would let people in. We were waiting for my sister, which was the last person to arrive. We were all ready to go, shoes on and everything. My boyfriend went down to get my sister so she could leave her purse in our room. After only being in our room for about 2 hours, The rude man followed them all the way to our room and demanded they open the door. He barged into our room and started yelling "everyone out!" I couldn't believe what was happening. He didn't even give anyone a chance to talk or even grab our belongings. I was so mortified... Embarrassed and pissed at the same time! How could someone treat their guests that way?!!!

After sitting at a bar and talking about what we should do, we all decided to leave that horrible place and stay at my sisters place. We walked in not even wanting to talk to the guy, all we wanted was to grab our things and go. But he started yelling again "only 4 people can go up there!!" So myself and 3 other people grabbed bags, food and drinks at 3 in the morning. When leaving all the rude guy could say is "should I say you're checking out?" I had to walk outside while my boyfriend had a few words with him. I was always taught if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all.

Now 3 days later... No phone call or anything from the manager or owner! What kind of business is this?!! Have they heard of customer service?!!! We're not even expecting our money back or even an apology but a simple phone call to see what happened that night would be nice!

So If you're looking for a place to stay in gaslamp.... DON'T STAY HERE!!!!!! Unless you want a babysitter for a receptionist!

• Stayed July 2011
7 Thank iluvbuba0829

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Good location, nice size rooms, good price, but very dirty. Did not want to walk on floor without shoes, walls we're filthy, toilet seat had not been cleaned at all. Had to go out and buy cleaning supplies to feel somewhat comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Jnico
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I was there for 3 days and only saw a "hotel" employee when I checked in. This was like renting a 1-bdr condo apartment in the middle of the gaslamp district's most-hopping bars,, with no restaurant, bar, room service, maid's service or anyone monitoring the lobby. That was fine for me, since I was traveling alone and don't really worry about getting mugged in a vestibule or 100 year old elevator in San Diego, I'm also not finicky when it comes to dust or a little dirt. There is no daily housekeeping. The bed and furniture were comfortable and clean and modern and having a full kitchen and an apartment for half the price of a luxury hotel was certainly worth it for me.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Wall, New Jersey
Reviewed April 29, 2011

The location is central to everything in the gaslight. Suites are large with everything you need. could use some updating, carpets were all stained. It can be very loud on the weekend. There is an "open roof" night club next door that went until around 2AM and even with the windows closed it was quite loud. No one manning the desk most of the time. took 12 hours to get toilet paper resupplied.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Stayed 2 nights at the William Penn. Really central for seeing the city. The suite is amazing and has everything you need. Down sides are that the desk is rarely manned - we are not sure if we were lucky on arrival that someone was there to give us a key. At night time you are in the heart of the gas light area and they party until 2/3 in the morning.

Room Tip: I would not recommend it to a family.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Gorgeous hotel, beautiful suite with everything you need provided for you, very friendly staff! walking distance to everything...our weekend stay is definitely in our "top ten'. It's a great place to stay and the entertainment goes on and on and on. We can't wait to visit again, we're hoping to make it a monthly excursion!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Norco, California
Reviewed December 18, 2010

Hotel is in a great location in the Gaslamp Quarter. Cool old building that was remodeled to a hotel. Small, cheesy elevator. Absolutely NO parking. Expect to pay $10 per "portion" of day to park about 3 blocks away.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends