“Great food, friendly staff, bad service”

Devine Pastabilities
Ranked #182 of 4,726 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Toasty hollow garlic bread with great pasta dishes, salads and cheese steaks stuffed inside!
San Diego, California
“Great food, friendly staff, bad service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I went here last night, and if I was writing this review, based on JUST the food, it would be 5 stars all the way around. But, I'm not, I'm writing about the service too.
First off the place is kinda hard to find, we used the GPS and it told us the place was on the right side of the road, then pulled up a picture of it in the middle of the road... Come to find out, it was on the left and clearly the google maps is all sorts of screwed up because it's on the left! LOL but anyway, we finally found it after a bit of driving around through some of the shopping centers, so we parked and went up to the restaurant. It was pretty busy inside and there were some tables outside where one group was already sitting as well. They told us we could either wait 45 minutes, or just sit outside and eat. WE chose to eat outside, which was a little cold with the breeze, but they had one of the tall space heaters that they turned on for everyone out there.
The service, was pretty slow and bad... They were friendly people so don't get me wrong there. But they all seemed incredibly overwhelmed by how busy it was there, and were very forgetful. We sat outside for about ten minutes before she finally came back with menus for us. After that, the table next to us, and ourselves ordered appetizers and our meals. They were there about 10 minutes or so before us, but they brought our appetizer out first....To their table. They said they didn't order that and we had to chase the lady down to let her know it was ours, before they threw it away. We ordered the bread holes. They were garlicky, buttery and just all around absolutely amazing.
The other table, still hadn't gotten their appetizer but that didn't affect us, other than we were talking with them and kind of laughing about it with them. Our drinks went empty for quite sometime, and not because no one came outside, but every time anyone tried to get their attention when they did come outside they breezed back in so quickly we couldn't hardly get a word in.
We finally got refills on our drinks and our food came out, the table next to us got their food too, but still no appetizer! Even though they asked several times and each time it was the same "Oh it's coming" or "It will be there soon" statement.
Again, didn't really have any bearing us, other than we were talking to them and thought it was strange. Their appetizer did finally come out, when they were all half way done with their meals!
As we were finishing up with our meal, the check came out, we were never offered desserts or anything she just came out and put the check down and said "No rush "Well of course there was no rush because although it was busy, everyone inside seemed to be getting better, quicker, service than we were outside!
We asked for our leftovers to be wrapped up, paid the check and then sat there for another five mintues, before another waitress came out and we asked her where are leftovers were. The famous "Oh it's coming!" was said again and so we sat and waited. We joked about how they probably threw it out and forgot all about us, and then it finally come out about another five minutes later. So we got up after that and headed out.
All in all, the food is absolutely amazing, it's a great, simple concept and absolutely delicious and extremely reasonably priced, pretty damn cheap for the amount of food you get!
We got the meatball torpasta and the meat lovers lasagna torpasta, which again were both absolutely amazing. But when you come here, be prepared for slow, pretty poor service and some amazing food.
Hopefully next time we come back, because we will go back there, the service will be a bit better.

1 Thank SammyM91

Thornton, Colorado, United States
“Great Food and Even Better Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

While on our first trip to SD, we dropped in at Devine Pastabilities. The food was awesome, and I'm not a huge pasta or bread fan. All the staff were super friendly and accommodating. I ended leaving a very important personal item behind on the table... later that evening I got a call from Kay, the most awesome staff person ever, telling me I forgot my item. I asked her how she knew how to find me, and she said she remembered talking to me about my trip. That is above and beyond the call of duty! Thanks everyone at Devine Pastabilities! You guys are A-Mazing!

1 Thank Christina J
“Excellent dining experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited Devine Pastabilities for dinner on a Saturday evening while on vacation. The food was excellent especially the torpastas! We would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants a unique dining experience and good food!

San Diego, California
“Great place for date night or family outing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We have enjoyed great food here for about a year now and the menu selection is great, food is great and now they added a selection of craft beers. Service is always with a smile too.

Los Angeles, California
“Carb Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

If you like bread and pasta this is the place for you. They stuff the pasta into a hollowed out loaf of bread. And if you want to lay off all the carbs you can get one of their delicious salads stuffed into the bread. Either way you can't go wrong.