“Good food, super expensive”

Donovan's Steak and Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
Donovan's Steak and Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #119 of 4,959 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 6th & K
Description: Donovan's rich and intimate ambience is enhanced by world-class unobtrusive service. The Chef serves 100% USDA Prime beef 100% of the time. Donovan's wine list of over 300 wines features the best the world has to offer. Wine tasting dinners available.
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a place to either take out a business client or make a proposal. The filets start at $45. The food was good, but I would not rate it as the best I've ever had. The filet was actually cooked unevenly and some parts of it were medium well while others closer to medium rare. Creme brulee was good, but again, not the best.

Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Hello reviewerNK,

I'm very sorry to hear about your less than stellar experience with us. If you'd like to go into more detail with me, please feel free to email me at the address below. I'd love to get this resolved for you and have you back so you can get the fantastic Donovan's experience every guest deserves. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

The La Jolla Donovan's offers just about everything in the way of an upscale dining experience. It's a beautiful environment crowded with beautiful people. Bring a case full of money with you, because you're going to have to pay for it. Most entrees begin at 44.00 and everything is a la carte. I brought my own bottle of cabernet franc because there was a bottle on their menu for 90.00. I had to pay a 20.00 corkage fee for my punishment. Service is excellent, though. The "team" assigned to each table is well trained and charming. Once our waiter Chris went on to other tables, Enrique took over as the true hero of the night. He made us feel good. When we get down to the long wait for everything--drinks, wine, delicious hot bread, and ordering--it's exhausting. We were famished by the time the whole alaskan king crab arrived along with our filets and new york strips. They should have been served separately, of course. After a few bites of mashed potatoes, we felt full. The steaks were inconsistent. My filet medallions were poorly cut and carelessly cooked and dressed with blue cheese (that was cold) and port glaze. Each bite was disappointing. I didn't finish either medallion. I kept thinking that the filet mignon I had made on the grill at home for 15.00 was superb compared to this small piece of overcooked meat. If money is no object and you simply want to hang out in a lovely restaurant, then you'll have a great time at the bar.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Top notch steak house in SD, gaslight district. Great bread and vegetables to go along with excellent steak.

Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Hi ChazLaw,

Thanks for the awesome review! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our steakhouse and that your meal was perfect. Thanks again and I hope you'll join us on your next trip!

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Really good steak & menu...however way overpriced as far steakhouses go. Service was not exceptional. Missing the Wow! factor for the cost.

Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Hello ajcorsten,

I'm truly sorry about the lack of service you received on your visit. I can assure you management has been made aware and they are reviewing the proper procedures with our servers. Please contact me at the email address below so we can discuss this further. Thanks for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated and valued. I look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I love steaks, and have been to many fabulous steakhouses, but I must say that the all-around experience here immediately made Donovan's one of my favorites. The interior was warm and elegant, but not overly ritsy. The staff were friendly and always at your service. Drinks were fantastic, but the food...out of this world. Wife and I had the steaks with a bit of peppercorn, which were outstanding. And if they are available and you are waiting for your table in the bar area, you gotta try the meatball appetizer. Unreal, to the point we were thinking about just ordering two more orders of meatballs and forgetting dinner all together. Glad we didn't. The sides, the fantatstic bread, everything was great. Looking forward to getting back there.

1  Thank aramis7
Jessica B, Guest Relations Manager at Donovan's Steak and Chop House, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Hello Aramis7,

Thanks so much for the great review! I'm glad you and your wife had a great time with us and enjoyed everything. I've heard about the meatballs and they sound absolutely delicious, but I have yet to try them. Now I really have to! Thanks again for the feedback and I hope you guys join us again soon!