“Pure Love”

Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Basic has got the recipe right- and I'm not only talking about their pizza. I live across the street from this venue and no matter what time it is, this place is happening. I went here one day at 4p (to start my happy hour) and was able to get a seat at the bar- by time it was 7p the place was absolutely slammed with great music and good people. I would say about 80% is filled with people in their 30's-early 40's. Pizza is awesome, great beer selection, awesome decor. Overall 10/10!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My mother & sister had eaten at the Hillcrest location previously and raved about it, so we were excited to find this location around the corner from our rental condo. I was a bit shocked when we called before 6 pm on a weeknight and were told the wait for a carry out pizza would be 40 minutes, so that wasn't a great start. (I know from walking by that they were packed in the evenings, but have never had a pick-up order for a pizza take longer than 20-30 minutes anywhere, usually less--especially that early!)

The pizza itself was certainly good. I haven't had pizza anywhere else in San Diego, so I can't compare it to the other local offerings--it was a similar quality to many other thin crust brick/wood oven pizzas I've had elsewhere. Usually a tasty dish. We were thrown off by how much garlic was in the white pizza, but they do say garlic on the menu, so fair warning!

However, our pizza was cold by the time we picked it up (right on the 40 minute mark, as they had told us). The white pizza in particular was NOT tasty cold and had to be reheated. And the "Basic salad," the only salad on the menu? Pretty uninspired. Rock hard unripe pears, bitter greens, and a tiny serving of dressing in comparison to the size of the salad.

I would get a pizza again if I were in the area, but I wouldn't seek it out.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

The Pizza is great with choices of red or white sauce, several specialty pizzas are on the menu or you can put together whatever combination suits your fancy. The small size is good for two people and the large size for three or four. The staff is friendly and the service is good. It is in walking distance from all the Gas Lamp Quarter Hotels.

1  Thank Daniel G
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We went for a late lunch with our kids 14, 8, and 3. The food menu is pizza and a salad, but the pizzas are really interesting and huge. We ordered a large sausage and a small mashed potato and bacon. When they came out we started to laugh because there was so much food it would take an army to eat it, but once we dug in though, it tasted too awesome to not finish. I never thought if potato as a pizza topping, but it was great, and the res sauce on the side was terrific.The bar side was separated well, and looked really fun for a night without the kids.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The pizza here is really good. Some of the best I have had in San Diego. Does not matter on the toppings, it is all really good. It's in a good spot as well, although much more of a good spot during baseball season.
I'm boring so I like cheese.

Only negative on the pizza is that it is not good cold.

Also good just for drinks and hanging out.