“I hear the Hillcrest location is a bit better?”
Review of Basic

Basic
Ranked #103 of 4,804 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Waterloo, Canada
“I hear the Hillcrest location is a bit better?”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My mother & sister had eaten at the Hillcrest location previously and raved about it, so we were excited to find this location around the corner from our rental condo. I was a bit shocked when we called before 6 pm on a weeknight and were told the wait for a carry out pizza would be 40 minutes, so that wasn't a great start. (I know from walking by that they were packed in the evenings, but have never had a pick-up order for a pizza take longer than 20-30 minutes anywhere, usually less--especially that early!)

The pizza itself was certainly good. I haven't had pizza anywhere else in San Diego, so I can't compare it to the other local offerings--it was a similar quality to many other thin crust brick/wood oven pizzas I've had elsewhere. Usually a tasty dish. We were thrown off by how much garlic was in the white pizza, but they do say garlic on the menu, so fair warning!

However, our pizza was cold by the time we picked it up (right on the 40 minute mark, as they had told us). The white pizza in particular was NOT tasty cold and had to be reheated. And the "Basic salad," the only salad on the menu? Pretty uninspired. Rock hard unripe pears, bitter greens, and a tiny serving of dressing in comparison to the size of the salad.

I would get a pizza again if I were in the area, but I wouldn't seek it out.

• Visited March 2014

Niwot, Colorado
“Basic Name but Great Pizza and Drinks”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The Pizza is great with choices of red or white sauce, several specialty pizzas are on the menu or you can put together whatever combination suits your fancy. The small size is good for two people and the large size for three or four. The staff is friendly and the service is good. It is in walking distance from all the Gas Lamp Quarter Hotels.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Daniel G
“Yumm!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We went for a late lunch with our kids 14, 8, and 3. The food menu is pizza and a salad, but the pizzas are really interesting and huge. We ordered a large sausage and a small mashed potato and bacon. When they came out we started to laugh because there was so much food it would take an army to eat it, but once we dug in though, it tasted too awesome to not finish. I never thought if potato as a pizza topping, but it was great, and the res sauce on the side was terrific.The bar side was separated well, and looked really fun for a night without the kids.

San Diego, California
“Very goo”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The pizza here is really good. Some of the best I have had in San Diego. Does not matter on the toppings, it is all really good. It's in a good spot as well, although much more of a good spot during baseball season.
I'm boring so I like cheese.

Only negative on the pizza is that it is not good cold.

Also good just for drinks and hanging out.

• Visited July 2013
Topeka, Kansas
“Very good, unique pizza”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We had the unique twist on a vegetarian pizza (fried eggplant, mashed potatoes, red peppers, add bacon).. you wouldn't think this combination works, but it DOES! It was great! The building was very neat. The only negative thing I could say was that we waited for a long time at the bar for a drink. Will go back if in San Diego again!

• Visited November 2013