“Not enough to justify entrance fee”

San Diego Automotive Museum
Ranked #86 of 449 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: Magnificent display of vintage automobiles and motorcycles including a 1927 Bentley, 1931 Rolls Royce Phaeton and Steve McQueen's 1953 Allard.
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Don't get me wrong, just a bit pricy for what it was and should be lumped in with the air & space museum next door(which is fantastic). Some lovely motorcycles on display and really lovely staff

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Well, great volunteer staff to explain cars on display.Interesting continues film showing how one car can,do laundry,iron clothes,have a shower...while on the road.Restores bikes,race cars and many other antique cars,trucks and motor bikes.There display changes monthly with a whole car lots unique vehicle .A car buffs dream in San Diego Old Town.Enjoy we will visit again.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I enjoyed this museum but it was small and currently dominated by corvettes as they have a special celebration for the 60th anniversary. Corvettes aren't my favourite but other than that, several quite interesting old cars. I was glad I had a 2 for 1 coupon as I thought there wasn't much there for the $8.50 per person price. Check on the Balboa Park hot deals before going in case there is a 2 for 1 coupon. If you get the deal I would recommend if you like cars and motorcycles.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were on the San Diego Trolley Tour and they stopped at this spot. We decided to stretch our legs and check out this museum. The Trolley Tours offered a discount coupon, however, we saved even more by showing our AAA card.

The museum is small and easy to navigate. The staff was friendly and could tell you information about any car in the museum. They also have a nice selection of motorcycles. Louie Mattar's car was fabulous and who doesn't want a photo next to a DeLorean?

There was also a small gift shop at the exit/entrance.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visited when they had a Corvette show which meant half the museum was dedicated to Corvettes - I guess the original exhibits had been moved out to make room? The Corvettes were good though.

Anyway, the museum is not huge but what they have is interesting. My husband had a great time and it took about an hour to tour the whole place. The info about the wooden road was especially interesting.

My only advice is to avoid free Tuesday. From what we could gather the museums in the park are free to San Diego residents on certain Tuesdays each month - the day we went - which means the park and museums are absolutely packed with kids! As a result this museum was quite busy as it is next to the air museum and most families seemed to be doing them both.

Worth a trip as long as you aren't expecting a huge car collection with hundreds of vehicles.