“Small Museum - Unusual Cars - Helpful Staff”

San Diego Automotive Museum
Ranked #90 of 452 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: Magnificent display of vintage automobiles and motorcycles including a 1927 Bentley, 1931 Rolls Royce Phaeton and Steve McQueen's 1953 Allard.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were on the San Diego Trolley Tour and they stopped at this spot. We decided to stretch our legs and check out this museum. The Trolley Tours offered a discount coupon, however, we saved even more by showing our AAA card.

The museum is small and easy to navigate. The staff was friendly and could tell you information about any car in the museum. They also have a nice selection of motorcycles. Louie Mattar's car was fabulous and who doesn't want a photo next to a DeLorean?

There was also a small gift shop at the exit/entrance.

All reviews
"wonderful display"
"water fountain"
"aaa card"

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We visited when they had a Corvette show which meant half the museum was dedicated to Corvettes - I guess the original exhibits had been moved out to make room? The Corvettes were good though.

Anyway, the museum is not huge but what they have is interesting. My husband had a great time and it took about an hour to tour the whole place. The info about the wooden road was especially interesting.

My only advice is to avoid free Tuesday. From what we could gather the museums in the park are free to San Diego residents on certain Tuesdays each month - the day we went - which means the park and museums are absolutely packed with kids! As a result this museum was quite busy as it is next to the air museum and most families seemed to be doing them both.

Worth a trip as long as you aren't expecting a huge car collection with hundreds of vehicles.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a car museum for those with little interest in cars. It is small, with a minimal variety of vehicles. The vehicles on display have little historical significance and are the kinds you might just as well find in a neighborhood car show. Despite having a love of all things automotive, I was anxious to leave. Don't waste your time.

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went there one weekend, very nice museum, inexpensive with a big selection of automobiles