“Probably the best of its kind”

San Diego Model Railroad Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$39.95*
and up
San Diego Tour: Hop-on Hop-off Trolley
Ranked #41 of 442 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the world's largest model railroad museums features a scale model railway that replicates San Diego's tracks.
Reviewed July 26, 2009

The detail and scale of the model railroads in this museum are amazing. My daughter and I spent an hour here and loved it. It's expensive for what you get, but it really is neat.

There are newer reviews for San Diego Model Railroad Museum

Reviewed May 24, 2009

I took my ten year old son to this little museum hidden away in Baboa park. Its an affordable afternoon, and if you are a San Diego resident, you can take advantage of the selected free Tuesday each month ( we just dropped a donation into the jar...). Its a small museum, but we spent a good two hours at least, as my son wanted to look over every detail of each model. This museum is run by volunteers, and is really a treasure. I admit, I had expected to be a little bored, but it turned out to be a great day.

4  Thank jmonte922
Reviewed April 4, 2009

A definite must see if you have children (boys in particular!) that love trains!! We have gone here the last two times we have visited San Diego and it will most likely be on our "must-visit" list for a long time. The train layouts are incredible and so much fun to look at. There are little steps and platforms for the smaller kids to climb on so they can view the trains too. Not the first place you might think to go (it's located in the basement of one of the buildings in Balboa partk), but it's truely a found treasure. Depending on the age and interest of your children you can spend close to two hours here watching the trains go round and round.

4  Thank Mommyoftwo25
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Thank goodness for the trains. My dad, and friend (the men in my life) went absolutely speachless on this one. My mom and I followed after them, took a few pictures. We didn't enjoy it much, since we are not into trains at all. But I'm writing this review for my dad. He used to buy grain and work in an elevator. He always had the dream of having a train run through all the rooms in the house. I think this experience has unfortunate for my mom, fueled this idea. But it was neat. I did enjoy the lego set up. So over all, good if you have kids, or men who are into it.

1  Thank stjans520
Reviewed September 6, 2007

The museum is a must see for train lovers and fun for the entire family. We had a great time looking through the windows into the little towns and spotting different things. But the real attraction is the one big train room with a whole working town in it. The details are fun to look at and the kids can interact with some buttons. The kids had fun seeing themselves on the TV screen as the camera train went by. This is our second trip to the museum and would go back again the next time we are in Balboa Park.

2  Thank lovetowinbingo