“Very Nice!”

San Diego Model Railroad Museum
Ranked #44 of 451 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the world's largest model railroad museums features a scale model railway that replicates San Diego's tracks.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

If you like working model trains this is the place. Great train displays which were all running. Enjoyed the historic pictures and other memorabilia on the walls.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We only went once, but we can see they are keeping on adding things and creating more realistic and fun landscapes. They have a bunch of railroaders that have and maintain there own exhibit. Some are better than others, but if you like trains, this is very cool. It is cheap and included on the GoCard. They are also expanding to the upstairs as well. I can see this will be better next time we go which makes me excited to go again.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I've loved trains since I was a toddler, and this place in model railroading heaven for me.

The amount of effort and detail that went into building the major layouts is incredible, and visitors can't help but be drawn into the landscapes to look at the amazing details.

Each layout is operated by a local model railroading club, and the volunteer club members (many of whom are current or retired railroaders) are a pleasure to talk to and are a great source of information.

There's a specific layout tailored for kids that's decked out with Halloween decorations right now. My out-of-town guest and I spent as much time looking at it as we did looking at all the other layouts combined. And watching the reaction of the young kids seeing the trains was quite special.

There's a little play area for young kids to play with wooden trains and tracks, and outside the museum upstairs is a small cafe (?) that sells snacks and beverages. There's also a small gift store at the museum's entrance.

My friend was quite impressed with the entire experience, and her enthusiasm for trains is nowhere near mine.

Plan on at least an hour, but don't be surprised if you find yourself staying longer.

You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I really enjoyed this railroad museum! My father and husband used to work for Southern Pacific railroad. While I was in town for a business conference I took a tour of the museum. The owner was super friendly and showed me around. I also liked the Halloween section! I wish my husband was with me to see it! I did buy him a souvenir from the gift shop.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We paid admission to view the model railroads. They do a great job of recreating the buildings and such to be like they actually are. I was very impressed with the train bridge over the gorge. They make all of their scenery and do a fantastic job. I think it is more for adults than for children. The windows are rather high like you are peering through a train window. There are steps every now and then for short people to get up high to see better. If you are a train aficionado you would like it. They are N, O and HO scale trains.