“Not worth driving out of your way for”

Fleet Science Center
Ranked #101 of 430 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Fleet is San Diego's science center, bringing together the community, empowering educators and offering meaningful experiences that embrace the power of science and impact the world around us.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Memphis, Tennessee
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Not worth driving out of your way for”
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We have an ASTC reciprocal membership, and have therefore been to LOTS of science museums. We were underwhelmed by this one. Everything felt old and in need of sprucing up. The section for kids under age 5 was a nice touch, but there was very little here that interested any of us...typical stuff that we've seen at other museums, but everything looked worn out. We drove from Orange County to come here and were in and out within an hour. Thankfully, it was a gorgeous day and we got to enjoy Balboa Park afterward, which is stunning.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Rockawaygirl

Honolulu, Hawaii
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fun”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Fun for kids of all ages. Lots of hands on exhibits to experience scientific concepts or just to play around with stuff. It's not that big, two floors, but it should keep you busy for an hour and two.

Visited December 2013
West Yorkshire
158 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Average Science Museum but great Imax theatre”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I'm sure children love it but I was on my one and didn't find the exhibits particularly interesting, in fact I had a hard time trying to fill my time waiting for the show at the theatre. Cosmic collisions was well worth the wait. There were two other shorts on, one of the observatories on the Big Island of Hawaii. The show was mind boggling if a little disorientating. I'd have given it three stars but for the show.

Arizona, USA
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Good science center”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I guess it depends on what other science centers you've been to. This was not one of the best ones, but it's good. Plenty of fun things and hands-on exhibits. My kids really liked the drones (not sure if they are special exhibit or permanent). Be sure to go when the tinkering room is open. If you go in the afternoons you avoid field trip groups. We got in free with our ASTC science center membership. We spent about 2 hours there, but we were limited on time and could have easily spent longer.

Los Angeles, CA
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Fun and educational”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Ah...the Reuben H. Fleet Science Center - I loved it years ago as a college student, and now I love it as a mom :) You can spend a couple of fun hours exploring the science center, with all of its fun and interactive experiments and activities. It's great for all ages (believe me...you are never to old). Be sure to check the website for discounts - as a teacher who lives within a certain radius, I was able to get in free! Also, look at what IMAX movies are playing - they are cheaper if you include it in your entry and worth the extra 4 or 5 dollars. This shouldn't be missed while in San Diego!