“Cool Building, not much inside”

San Diego Museum of Man
Book In Advance
More Info
$148.99*
and up
San Diego Gaslamp Segway Tour
Ranked #83 of 439 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: The San Diego Museum of Man is your museum! Join the hundreds of thousands of people each year who come to see its exhibits on beer, monsters, torture, race, human and primate evolution, and more. You can also experience one of most important ancient Egyptian collections in the United States, which includes authentic Egyptian mummies, an exceptionally rare child sarcophagus, and one of the world's few surviving examples of Nefertiti's cartouche. Also, for the first time in 80 years, we are now offering guided tours of the California Tower - one of San Diego's most iconic landmarks. Tower tour tickets are timed like theater tickets, so be sure to purchase tickets in advance to secure your desired date and time.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Vancouver, Canada
197 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Cool Building, not much inside”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The building itself is amazing. They don't have much to see inside though. About the content of 1/25th of the Met in New York. Worth taking pictures outside, not worth going in, unless you already paid for it via a GoCard or Balboa Pass.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank theschuay86

• Korean first
Milpitas, California
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Saw the Torture Exhibit”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The museum has a new exhibit on torture devices and their use. It was very sobering to walk through and see the actual implements used in torture in the past. Sad to see that most of the devices were used on women. It was an extra cost in addition to the entry cost of the museum and probably not recommended for young kids, but was very interesting to see first hand.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank kguzzetta
San Diego, California
259 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 261 helpful votes
“Interesting Exhibits, Could Be Better Done”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We've been here several times but returned specifically to see the Instruments Of Torture exhibition. The torture exhibition was very interesting, but the signage and interpretative elements were disappointing. They were poorly worded, not descriptive enough, and even included some grammatical errors. The permanent exhibits are definitely interesting but not what I would consider top notch. Worth a visit especially if you catch it on resident free Tuesday.

Visited September 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Cataclysmic waste of time and money.”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I was really looking forward to seeing MoM, the website makes it sound fascinating. The building itself is beautiful as is the interior, so at least it has that going for it. I was in and out of the place in literally 20 minutes, there is so little to look at! Mostly plaques with boring facts, rather than interesting artefacts. There was even a massive section full of cutesy ethnic photographs. If I had wanted to look at the likes of this, I would have googled it. It's $12 into the MoM, but you have to pay an extra $8 to get into the torture exhibition which, admittedly, was fascinating but, again, small and only took about 10 minutes to look around. Seriously don't bother.

5 Thank davidross89
El Cajon, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My husband and I went yesterday to enjoy an afternoon at a Museum. We got in free for the Museum part which was nice as they had a promotion for Military Families, but had to pay for their Torture Exhibit which was no problem for us. This was the smallest Torture exhibit we have seen, it was in 1 room which was long, and did have some cool items to look at. They had told us not to touch anything yet there were some people touching the exhibit items. There was even a lady with a baby stroller that contained a small dog, NOT a service dog mind you. Last time I checked I didn't think dogs were allowed in unless they were a service dog. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that was rather strange.

The Museum itself has a gorgeous building, really beautiful. Inside their exhibits seemed to be the normal and lacking a bit. They had a skate board section which we didn't find interesting but for some it could possibly be fun. They had an exhibit on the Aztecs which was nice to look at the replicas of carvings of stones from the actual site. Upstairs it was all about "how people evolved from Monkeys and apes". Mind you I don't believe in the whole evolution from monkey/ape to man but I did enjoy seeing the skeletons of past monkeys/apes and how the different species differ from one another.

Their exhibit that I was looking most forward to was the Mummy's and ancient Egypt. They did have several mummies to look at and this was my most liked exhibit but compared to the Museum in Boston and the Museum I had been to in England this was sub par. One room and that was all.

The whole trip inside was a bit disappointing it was more so when my husband told me that it hadn't changed from when he went 12 years ago! Except for the exhibit on skateboarding as this was new. The rest of it was almost identical. It was not even worth the money for the torture exhibit. I would have been more upset if I had paid the admission AND the torture fee to get in. NOT worth the price, not even the $37 we paid.

Visited August 2012