Tripadvisor
San Diego

“Fancy, fancy, and yummy.”

Red O Mexican Restaurant
Order Online
OR
Order Online
Ranked #645 of 5,856 Restaurants in San Diego
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Fancy, fancy, and yummy. It’s a gorgeous spot, with high ceilings and beautiful surroundings, including a surprising pond and waterfall out front. But, even better... they have great tequila selections. If you like your tequila for sipping, this is a great spot. And, you’re in luck if you like it for margaritas because they sure know how to make those. They even make some of them table side, like guacamole, but better (and with tequila). I ordered the chorizo empanadas app for an entree and loved every bite. They were cheesy, meaty and fried. Everything I love. Happy camper right here.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (87)

Reviewed November 22, 2019

I went to Red-O with 6 colleagues to celebrate a big work week and a special birthday. The service from our waiter Thomas was shameful. He forgot to serve someone in our group, chastised is for not ordering what he recommended and proceeded to insult us when we split the check by saying we should have told him and he only does that for “my good customers”. Our group has lived and dined all over the world and this was honestly one of the worst dining experiences for every single one of us. To shame people for ordering tacos at a Mexican restaurant is ridiculous. The food was ok but the poor service from Thomas and him attempting to humiliate us was unnecessary. If you have him as a waiter, switch tables or restaurants. It’s not worth it - especially if you’re wanting a fun night.

1  Thank Allyson W
Reviewed November 10, 2019 via mobile

We were going to watch an early movie at the UTC mall and decided to go to red O as it was across the street and we looked and they had a very interesting happy hour menu.We ordered the guacamole as they said they make them fresh as my wife does not eat cilantro they agreed to make it without any cilantro.
We also ordered the duck taqueria ,the tuna stack and the cheese fondu
They served it with fresh warm tortillas corn and flour.
The portions were large and everything was very tasty
Ps the also served warm tortilla chips and salsa

Reviewed November 9, 2019

Conveniently accessible from the Westfield Mall via a footbridge. This offers 2 hours free parking. Located next to a lake with sun loungers. Spacious very high ceilings - stylishly and tastefully decorated. Good choice menu. I went for the especial - a mixture of tortillas. 104$ for lunch - excluding tips - is fine for the quality and overally experience.

1  Thank FrankMoffatt
Reviewed October 9, 2019

I really have no words to explain how absolutely GORGEOUS Red O in La Jolla really is. My friends and I went for happy hour for my friends birthday and I was BLOWN AWAY by how stunning this place is. This looks NOTHING like the old fashioned Donovan's that used to be there!

We got a bunch of small plates and loved everything we got. Starting with drinks (great local beers on tap) and delicious chips and salsa, we ordered a number of appetizers. Our favorite thing we ordered was the Queso Fundido but we also liked the Duck Taquitos, Tamales, Ceviche and Empanadas. Dessert was really, really good...the churros and Tres Leches were delicious (Tres Leches cake was on the house for my friend's birthday - so nice).

Inside and out this restaurant is SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE. If you want to impress anyone - a client, a date, a spouse, a friend..bring them here. I took a bunch of pictures that I am adding to this post because the pictures do Red O more justice than words.

I can't wait to go back. Rick Bayless rocks.

Date of visit: July 2019