“A great place to stay”

Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area
Ranked #203 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 13, 2013

The rooms were being renovated but that didn't matter because the staff (especially Romie) was awesome and the beds were comfortable. we are from Mesa Arizona and noticed we left our office and motorcycle keys in room. Romie went out of his way to mail them to us. great service and highly recommend this hotel. we will visit again

• Stayed: July 2013
HowardJohnsonSDSU, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

Please except our apology for the inconvenience

Thanking you
Director of Sales

Reviewed July 2, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
HowardJohnsonSDSU, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed there for three nights and did have good sleep. The staff is very polite and helpful. They tried their best to solve the problem for me (my door once could be open, they helped me immediately). The place is very clean and quiet. It is very good for rest. The hotel is still remodeling. My room does have brand new big screen tv, dresser, nice bed. However, there are no table, chair and at least a cloth rack where I can hang my clothes. This is its disadvantage. Over all, I gave it four stars for further improvement.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
HowardJohnsonSDSU, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the appreciation and we promise to continue the same trend,

Management

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I came here just to get away from home. You know; you have one of those days where you just don't want to be near anyone else and want time alone. So I came here. They recently began a remodel of the property, new paint, new windows etc. Now I have never stayed here before, so I cannot compare it to how it looked previously. The rooms were very clean, I like the location of the air conditioner unit being mounted below the window where it was easy to reach.

There was a microwave and a refrigerator in the room which helped since I brought food with me. The bed was comfortable, there was a small lounge chair which was also nice. The tiles work in the bathroom and the counter top around the sink were both excellent. Not really too much negative things to say except that I wish they had conditioner in addition to the shampoo. I didn't see an ice machine on the top level.

They don't have any "suites"; which I was kind of disappointed in, but I still had a nice stay nonetheless. There were still a handful of rooms still undergoing the remodel when I got there as well as when I left. Overall this was a very clean place and I will be using tem again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

For your information our hotel has been renovation completely and we promise to have the things and amenities as per your expectation. Now under new management I guarantee you to have a zero complaint for our hotel we have been constantly monitoring the needs of the guest and have been taking care of it.

Management

Reviewed June 11, 2013

That staff is very friendly, breakfast is not bad but unfortunately it is the only thing we can give to this hostel.
The condition of the room are poor. Bed bugs (not infested but we found some anyway).Open holes in the ceilings / walls. Very noisy at night.

I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
HowardJohnsonSDSU, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Laurent,

Sorry for the inconvenience and we apologize for the same.
For your Information our hotel is under new management from 21st May 2013 and our rooms are remodeled and available with new Furniture, Bathroom and Faucets,, Vanity with new Sink and Faucet, Furniture, Mattresses, Carpet, Paints, Drapes and Flat Screen LED TV. I assure you of zero complaints & promise you for the same and shall keep my promise. I would like you to visit us and tell the difference.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Our room was newly remodeled (and nearly finished) with new bedding, paint and countertop. The staff was courteous and responded quickly to requests (more towels, fix door lock). My earlier research indicated that renovations have been going on for over a year, and from my observations the renovations will not be completed in 2013. Regardless, the accommodation was a good value - no a great value - when coupled with an airfare and car rental deal. The pool is small, but refreshing. Breakfast was minimal (coffee/tea/cereal/pastry only). If you require 5-star quality, this is not the place for you. But if you want a real value for your money, this is worth your consideration.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
HowardJohnsonSDSU, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Hello Earl yam,

Thanks for the review.

On behalf of our staff & New Management we thank you for the same. Everyday we try to accommodate many guests and when a praise comes from their end we feel satisfied and are committed to serve our guest with best of the service.

FYI. our hotel is under new management and few of its rooms remodeled and available from 21st May 2013.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and once again thank you for posting a review which helps us as to how we are doing to take care of our guests.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I spent three nights at the HOWARD JOHNSON and found it to be clean, comfortable and very good value,Specially the new rooms such excellent quality standard rooms which can compete any Holiday Inn that I have stayed. The check-in was effortless and the staff very friendly. The room was clean, comfortable and had everything I needed for a short stay. The lights on the vanity was particularly nice. There was no difficulty to get to the various San Diego tourist spots and there are a number of restaurants and takeaways near the hotel. Other than minor remodeling work going, I was entirely happy with the hotel and would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for new rooms they are excellent new rooms.....................
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
HowardJohnsonSDSU, Owner at Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Dear Mr Roy,

Thanks for being 1st to place a review for our newly remodeled room and for our new management.

For your information from 21st May 2013 our hotel new rooms are available and is now under new management.

On behalf of our hotel staff, I am writing to let you know how delighted we were to receive your kind words of praise.

We apologize for anything beyond your expectation was not taken care.

Given the very nature of the hotel business, the hours are long and demanding.Day or night, good service depends upon people willing to give their very best at all times. That's why it's truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts, and takes the time to say thank you.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their night's stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. But, it's only through their eyes that we can accurately assess the quality of the accommodations and services
we provide.

California Suites Hotel
California Suites Hotel
#233 of 278 in San Diego
Motel 6 San Diego Mission Valley East

Been to Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area? Share your experiences!