“Good hotel”

Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #35 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

The lobby is kind of bland. The location is ok, but not great except for access to the stadium. The rooms however are quite cool and comfortable. The roof top bar is also great. Good value. I would recommend this hotel for business and vacation. It's on the edge of gas lamp, but walkable to everything. Safe area. No parking, you need to valet.

• Stayed: February 2013
There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel is around 7 blocks to the mall and Nordstrom department store, and close to a range of ethnic restaurants in the area. The rooms were high tech, and with wooden floors with a fairly large bathroom, but did not come equipped with a refrigerator. The rooms were quiet, except if you were close to the elevator one could hear it in the quietness of the night.
The registration was quick, and efficient, and it is a pet friendly place, but did not smell of animals. Perhaps their numbers were down for the week days. I would stay here again, as long as the price was right. If one has to pay close to $210, I would go to the Manchester Hyatt Regency a few blocks away.

Room Tip: Get a room a little away from the elevators, and the valet parking was a high $38 a night.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I like to stay at unique boutique hotels so we thought we would try "Hotel Indigo" San Diego. It sounded interesting. Upon arrival our room wasn't ready, I had asked for a nice room on a higher floor as it was my husbands birthday while were were visiting. We were there early so we went out for a bite to eat while they got our room ready.

The hotel is located in a part of town that they are trying to clean up. New condos but also older apartment buildings, and the Salvation Army shelter is only 3 or 4 blocks away. One night on our way to a restaurant for dinner we came upon this line up half a block long of homeless people. It was a bit scary. I also believe that there's a fire station within a couple of blocks from the hotel because there were constant sirens throughout the night.

The room was appointed nicely however the bathroom doesn't have a bath tub and the rooms don't have bar frig and I need to have something refrigerated so I called down to inquire about one. They advised me that they could bring one up to the room for a $10 charge. When it came it was dirty. I had to wipe the dust off of it. The next day it was my husbands birthday, it would have been a nice touch for them to send something small up to the room to acknowledge it.

The hotel room cleaning service was spotty. One day I pulled up the sheets on the bed to find when I returned to the room it in the same state, except we had new towels placed in the bathroom. I guess they thought that was acceptable. Another day we were out the whole day coming back in the evening and the room still wasn't cleaned. The thing that I found the most disturbing was the smell of the bath towels. They smelt dirty,and moldy. There's nothing worst than getting out of the shower to find a moldy towel to dry yourself. I thought it was a one day thing but no everyday the towels came it was the same. Yuck!!! I think they need to get new towels or a better laundry service.

No concierge, and when we were entering or leaving the hotel no one acknowledged us.

3  Thank luv2travel624
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear luv2travel624,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret you found your overall experience less than satisfactory. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope you give us a chance in the future to create a better experience for you.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 25, 2013

While this looks like a trendy hotel, they are just not quite there yet. At first glance it looks like they are trying to be a "W" but they simply lack the details. The staff is OK but not as attentive as they could be, the bar area is COLD and unwelcoming and the general lobby is very sterile.
The room was OK, not as "funky" as we expected.
Every time they cleaned the room the level of detail was different and some days it took forever to get the room done and the bed was not even made.
Personally, I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a "quiet" room. We had an upgrade to a "city view" upper floor but still...
1  Thank TollyRogerVancouver

Dear TollyRogerVancouver,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apology for the you experienced during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very good hotel, wonderful staff and great location.
Special thanks to Brian, at the reception: best support ever! He gave me some ultra useful tips to really enjoy san diego, understanding my needs and expectations.
AAA rate!
Grazie Brian!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here because it was close to the convention center and we didnt want to stay at the Marriot where all my husbands customers were staying. When we arrived valet parking was $40.00 a day, so we self parked 2 blocks away since we would be walking or taking cabs for $15.00 a day. My husband unloaded the car and put our luggage on the cart while the bellman was talking to a co-worker. Im thinking to myself whats wrong with this picture. When the bellman unloads the cart just kind of throws all the stuff in one spot, ok. Then my husband gives him a $10 tip. For what? I was shocked that they didnt have movies you can purchase on demand. I have been sick, major health issues and planning on staying in and watching movies. So I stayed in the room and watched Doner( the cop killer) and the storms back east on CNN. The dates of this trip were Feb7th, 8th and 9th. My husbands trade show ending Sat the 9th so he packed up his show and we decided not stay Sat the 9th over and drive home. At 4pm I tried to order 2 grilled cheese sandwiches from room service for the ride home, Oh sorry the kitchens closed. Great, I dont eat meat or fast food. Also, they advertise a paper delivered to your door, never saw that. Kerig coffee maker with only 1 cup of regular coffee 1 decaf and 2 teas. Cost me 5 bucks to have them bring extra coffee to the room for tip. We had to pay for the last night because it was prepaid. Complaining on the way out they didnt seem to care very much. Never going to stay in a hotel Indigo again!!!!!

8  Thank Hanson6260
HotelIndigoSanDiego, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you Hanson6260 for taking your time to review our hotel. I regret that you had issues with so many facets of our property. All of the information provided will be used to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to further discuss your stay, and any other measures you would like to communicate, please contact me at darren.queen@ihg.com.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

It was my pleasure to stay at the hotel for five nights during a convention. It is clear that from the architect, designers and managers have a clear and unifying theme. I am guessing that before any decision is made they ask “is it cool, is it tasteful, is it of high quality and will it appeal to millennials.”

Every detail of this hotel fits this mantra. The front desk is three ovals, the computers in the lobby are Apples, the designs of the lobby are hip, dogs are welcome; even the menu presentations are cool. The music in the lobby fits the scene and I enjoyed being welcomed back to the hotel every night-I don’t even get that at home every night!

The rooms are not some cookie-cutter variety. Trust me, every details from the bathroom sink, décor, lamps, towel holders and furniture (I didn’t list them all) are well chosen and fits the theme I mentioned above.

I noticed lots of young, hip people gathered in the lobby with a sprinkling of baby boomers. If you are in San Diego and have to stay close to the baseball stadium, Fifth Street or the Convention Center-book this hotel.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the ball park.
1  Thank BoilerDaveNH