“A Chic Oasis”

Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter
Ranked #36 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed in a city-view room at the Hotel Indigo in the San Diego Gaslamp Quarter. We were attending a wedding and many attendees stayed here, including the bride and groom themselves, over a lovely weekend in June. The hotel was a calming oasis during our busy days... a chic, pet-friendly oasis with hardwood floors and free, reliable WiFi. Rooms were decently spacious, clean, and tastefully decorated. Bathrooms were also large and clean -- single sinks and no bathtub, but we had a rather large shower and nice tiling.
As a note, we had paid for the standard room with a king-sized bed but the hotel was running a promotion where a $10 donation to a special cause gave us the upgrade for a city-view room, so we had a view of the city that stretched to where we could see the military ships in the bay. Our upgraded room was located on the ninth floor, which means we didn't have the same swipe-card elevator security as other rooms because it was the same floor as the gym and the bar/lovely terrace space. Each evening of our stay, we lounged in chairs around fire-pits and enjoyed the view of San Diego -- even getting to watch a 10-minute fireworks display after a Padres game from the very visible Petco Park. Noise wasn't much of an issue, despite being on a floor that got a lot of traffic, but I rather wished there had been that extra level of security. There's a CVS nearby in case you find you forgot sunscreen or a floppy hat and, in general, this was a great base for a weekend's worth of wedding and site-seeing activities around San Diego.
My criticisms are minimal. There's rather expensive but I-suppose-it-was-worth-it valet parking that functions on a 24-hour window (so we paid $96 dollars for in-and-out privileges for two full 24-hour terms after checking in Friday afternoon and checking out Sunday morning). The otherwise incredibly friendly staff was oddly brusque and unyielding when it came to requesting late check-outs on a Sunday. One room in the wedding group got a noon check-out and when another room requested, the staff denied ever providing a late check-out to anyone, then offered 11:30 after a long debate. When we then called down and requested, the staff again insisted no one was given a late check-out, so I told them the room numbers of those friends of ours who had succeeded in acquiring this coveted late check-out. I was then told by the staff that my information was not true and those guests had already checked out (though I was texting with them as we all packed up and they were, indeed, still in their rooms), but I was ultimately and somewhat begrudgingly told we could have until 11:30. Finally, and it's not a criticism really, but it is quite a shame that there's no pool or even a jacuzzi for this hotel, as its whole spa atmosphere seems to beg for the addition. Still, we had a very nice stay.

Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

RedheadedWanderer,

Thank you for writing a detailed review of your stay! It’s great to see you enjoyed many of our amenities in the hotel such as our modern décor throughout the hotel & the close walking distance to all the attractions of downtown. Our beautiful Level 9 terrace bar has great views of the city as well as the Petco Park baseball stadium. We were happy to be your oasis during your time here & hope to see you back again!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo while attending a conference in San Diego. The hotel is located in a quieter section of the Gaslamp quarter and is ideally located close to the convention center, restaurants, and shopping. The hotel staff was very friendly and made us feel at home. The service was excellent and the rooms offered good value for the money. We would definitely stay here again.

Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

RKW_10,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are so happy to see our passionate & helpful staff was able to make a good impression on your stay. Our goal is to make each guest feel like we are their home away from home. Next time you’re in San Diego we hope you’ll come to stay again!

Reviewed July 4, 2012

This hotel is beautiful. Especially for the cost! In order to save some money we decided not to have a rental car this trip so we needed a hotel near the heart of everything, including public transportation.

We found Hotel Indigo on Hotels.com and checked the reviews and customer photographs on tripadvisor.com, there were a few others we were looking at in the area, but we are very happy that we chose Hotel Indigo. When you enter the hotel the lobby is very pretty and modern. There's a lovely seating area with a water wall, the restaurant and bar are just behind it. We didn't eat at the restaurant but we did have a couple of drinks before a game that were delicious. I also used the gym a couple of times it had a decent amount of cardio equipment and even some free weights, the meditation deck was a nice addition as well.

The staff was extremely friendly. When we checked in we were offered a room upgrade for signing up for emails, I really recommend doing this, they have only sent 1 email to us since our trip, and really with spam filters what's the harm. We were upgraded to a city view on a higher floor. We hardly ever have house keeping clean our room while we're in it but the maid left a friendly note under our door letting us know she was around if we needed anything. We also checked out the roof top bar. It had an amazing view of the stadium and super friendly bar tenders.

Our room was fantastic. We're both fans of modern design and the images available on the hotel's website as well as tripadvisor do not let down. There was a wall of windows floor to ceiling and wall to wall, some actually opened to let in the cool breezes. The king sized bed was fairly comfortable with lots of pillows. The bathroom was large and nicely decorated with a walk in shower.

The area was fantastic, lots and lots an lots to do within walking distance. Great restaurants, a mall, and lots of boutiques. We walked to the Amtrak station, only 1 mile away, one day to take the train up to Anaheim for the day to go to Disneyland and another baseball game.

People on here complained about dogs, rude service, and other noise. The other complaints made by cheapskates I can't say anything about. Buyer beware, and read the small print, and all that. The other things I can speak to. I was a little nervous about the dog policy, my husband is not a fan of dogs, but honestly I never heard or saw a single one during the week we were there. To be as straight forward as possible, San Diego is a VERY dog friendly town, they let dogs into Petco Park for all the baseball games and everything. We saw dogs everywhere we went, if you are afraid of dogs or they annoy you maybe you should plan a vacation elsewhere. As for the hotel staff, I thought they were amazing. Never pushy, always polite, and even fun to talk with. I work in customer service, it's something I have very little patience with if it's bad, and I wasn't bothered by anyone. As for street noise, it's a city, and it's no where near as noisy as NYC, people walk around they make noise. I really didn't find it that bad, but there was street noise. Maybe if you're used to absolute quiet at night time you should bring along a pair of ear plugs.

Overall we'd stay there again, we're actually planning on possibly going to San Diego again next summer. The city is gorgeous and there's so much to see and do we didn't manage to fit it all in during this one trip. We're already planning on staying at Hotel Indigo again :)

Happy Travels!

Room Tip: Give them your email to get the room upgrade!
2  Thank stargitter
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Stargitter,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Indigo for your first time in San Diego! It’s great to see you were able to use so many of our amenities while staying with us. Our complimentary gym offers free weights, a treadmill, & other exercise machines. We look forward to seeing you next summer!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Fantastic small hotel well appointed with upbeat colors and terrific staff. Ask about discounts for good pricing. Rooms very nice and good size. Walking distance to all the great restaurants in the Gas Light district.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the 9th street. This is a pet friendly hotel and even has a doggie green...
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for your review! We appreciate your compliments of our friendly & helpful staff as well as our large, well appointed guest rooms. Come stay with us again next time you’re in San Diego!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

The hotel is green and great on all accounts.

Unfortunately, I booked a room using a Friends and Family rate since I am in the hospitality industry and wanted to try this hotel. My wife was traveling for business and works for a government agency--we discovered right after I booked the room that the hotel's government rate was a few dollars less than the FF rate, so I called to hotel to have the rate adjusted. The "manager" said there was nothing they could do and that the rate could not be adjusted.

I know this is not the case--at a minimum a hotel restaurant/bar credit could have been offered. This poor customer service was very unappealing. Because of poor customer service training for hotel staff, the result of this was a bad interaction with the hotel rather than the good experience it could have been, and this review is the result.

This type of reluctance to accomodate customers on minor issues is increasingly common, and reveals the lack of understanding on how a brief negative interaction can have long lasting, damaging effects on the reputation of a business.

1  Thank TAReviewer--CA
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I had a wonderful stay at the Hotel Indigo Gaslamp Quarter. I was in town for a conference from the 20-25th of June and I must say the stay was amazing. The room was clean and spacious. The ambience of the hotel is great with a friendly staff. While there Darren the front desk manager moved my room after he heard me say I love being on a top floor. The sales manager came out and met all the guest and made sure their stay was amazing and reassured us that if there were any problems she would be of assistance. The young bellman in the morning Cesar I believe was his name was extremely helpful in getting me into my room. Being able to watch Padres games from the 9th floor was an added bonus. I would recommend this hotel to anyone... It is in perfect location of public transportation as well. If you are looking for a great hotel with a friendly staff then this is the one.

I cannot wait to come back and visit again!

1  Thank J P
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

J P,

Thank you for your review! Our friendly & caring staff is always happy to help in anyway possible & we know Cesar as well as Darren will be so happy to see they were able to have a positive effect on your time with us. Our Level 9 terrace bar has great views right into Petco stadium & is open daily for delicious drinks. We can’t wait until you come visit us again either!

Reviewed June 27, 2012

June 24-27, 2012. We had an excellent stay at the beautiful Hotel Indigo. When we first arrived I watched a Padres game from the 9th floor deck while my husband attended his conference. That was awesome! The players were super small, but there was a jumbotron that allowed me to follow the game and of course when the Padres made a good play, the roar of the crowd was unmistakable! The 9th floor bar opens at 5:00pm (it has very cool smokeless fire pits) but during the day you can sit and enjoy the sunshine.

Our room was super clean and very quiet. Even though dogs are allowed, and there could have been a pooch that checked out only hours before, you wouldn’t even know it by the cleanliness of the rooms. At first we thought we might be a bit allergic (as we are adverse to pet dander) but it didn’t seem to be an issue. However, if you have highly allergic tendencies you might want to consider staying elsewhere.

The free gym is awesome and is attached to the meditation deck. I loved to read up there in the afternoons in the shade and enjoy the city skyline view. The free internet access was a huge plus! We didn’t eat in the restaurant, but when we walked through the patrons looked happy. The roses on the tables were absolutely gorgeous! The staff was friendly and attentive.

Back to the rooms…the shower….oh the shower! I LOVED the shower!! The room and the bathroom were roomy and there was plenty of storage for our stuff. I felt “moved in” and never felt the least bit cluttered or crowded as I often do in other hotel rooms.

I could go on and on…but I will end with this. The Hotel Indigo San Diego Gas Lamp Quarter is close to the action of the city (and convention center), but far enough away that it’s a perfect, relaxing get-a-way. Valet park your car (yes, $38 is kind of steep…but it’s under the hotel, so it’s safe and stays clean plus you have free in & out privileges and quick retrieval service) and walk around town and enjoy wonderful, gorgeous San Diego.

Room Tip: The bay side is great, plus you have a full view of Petco Park.
1  Thank CAFab4
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

CAFab4,

The title of your review alone is fantastic to see! We are happy to see how much you enjoyed our spacious, walk-in spa showers in our gorgeous guest rooms. Our Level 9 terrace bar is a fun place to watch the San Diego Padres play while having a drink & enjoying the recycled glass fire pits. Thank you so much for writing a detailed review of your stay. Come back again soon!