“Best place we've stayed in years.”
Review of Mudville Flats

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Mudville Flats
Ranked #6 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
abroad
“Best place we've stayed in years.”
Reviewed November 9, 2009

All the other reviews about this place and the owners, Mike and Linda, are right on the money. My wife and I are on the road 365 days a year. We know a good place when we come across one. Mudville Flats is the best place we can remember. My favorite moments were spent on the back deck having dinner that we prepared in our own kitchen. It is a quiet oasis. Very safe. Comfortable. Best sleep I've had in a long time, too. Good bar down the street called Neighborhood. Great cafe a block away called Cafe Chloe. Stay at Mudville Flats.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank AbroadKhh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
california
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Just got back from staying two nights at Mudville Flats. We hadn't been to San Diego in many years, and while looking for accommodations, we decided to stay in the gas lamp
district. We're big fans of small intimate hotels, and we weren't disappointed when we
pulled up in front of it. We stayed in unit "A" which faced 10th Street. There was a small
enclosed front porch (completely private) which served as the entrance to the room, and this turned out to be a perfect place to put our bikes and gear. The living room, kitchen,
bedroom and bathroom were spotless, beautifully decorated to suit the craftsman
style, and outfitted with everything one might possibly need to cook, make martinis,
or relax and do nothing. The bedroom was spacious and the bed was extremely
comfortable. The bathroom was charming and had a claw-footed tub/shower. My
husband who is 6 ft. 5 inches tall, called me in while he was taking a shower, and we
had a good laugh because his head was visible above the top of the shower curtain.
But there was ample room for him, and he fit just fine. The pictures of the unit do it
justice. The location of the hotel is wonderful, and we were able to walk everywhere,
and felt safe doing so. I had asked for restaurant recommendations and we loved our
meals at the recommended places.

We weren't told that the parking was located l/2 block away when making the reservation. When we arrived in front of the hotel, the owner cheerfully met us and offered to help us unload our bags. We were then directed to the parking, which was a space located underground in a nearby secured building. At first we felt a little inconvenienced, but later on we really appreciated having our car parked in a secured area, and it was only 1/2 block away.

The only thing I would change is the couch in the living room! It was a futon, and
was hard and uncomfortable to sit on. But that being said, everything else was
really terrific, and we would absolutely return should we find ourselves back in San
Diego.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cynthia92
Northern VA
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My husband and I spent a few days in San Diego for his birthday. We were lucky enough to find Mudville Flats through this site.

When we arrived, the owner Linda came out to greet us and help us with our bags. She gave us a tour of the house before taking us to our room (Suite D.) She left us with a list of area restaurants, attractions, general info and her and her husband's phone numbers, in case we needed to reach either of them. It was such a refreshing start to our stay!

Our room was spacious, charming and warmly decorated. There was a sitting area with a large couch in front of a huge window, table and standing lamps and a huge, king-sized sleigh bed with rich bedding and lots of fluffy pillows. The kitchen had a gas stove, oven, full-sized fridge and was fully-equipped with dishes, glasses and utensils.

The bathroom was adorable and impeccably clean. It had a claw-foot tub and was stocked with "green" toiletries and plenty of clean towels. I even made a few mental notes for when I decide to redo the bathroom at home...

One of the best things about Mudville Flats was its convenience. Its downtown location makes it easy to walk to Petco Park, the gaslamp districts and our personal favorite, Neighborhood (cool bar with a GREAT draft list, if you're craft beer nerds like us.) To top it all off, the room rates are SO reasonable for downtown accomodations.

We can't wait to stay there again when we visit next year :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Berritoi
Texas
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Mudville Flats is unbelievable! I searched online for weeks trying to find a hotel in San Diego for a leisure vacation for myself and my husband. I was looking for an attractive, safe place, at the right price, with a kitchen, free and easy parking, comfortable bed, and in a good location for 5 nights. After searching for weeks, I thought my desires were impossible to find anywhere in or around San Diego. Searches for other hotels showed mixed reviews, high rates, high hotel tax and parking from $10-28.00 per day, some valet only. I came across the Mudville Flats website while searching vacation rentals. I was immediately drawn to the beautiful cherry wood furniture and attractive decor and I thought it would be out of our league. But, I found the rate very affordable, no hotel tax, free/secure parking, full kitchen, and in a very good location. I contacted the owner and I was very impressed with his friendly, professional manner and I felt very safe booking the room over the phone, which was confirmed quickly with an email. I was also impressed with the overwhelming "excellent" reviews on Trip Advisor.

On arrival, we rented a car at the airport, picked up some groceries and Mike, the owner, met us out front and helped us to our room with our things and then showed us to our secure, designated, free, garage parking spot. The room was even more "WOW" than I expected - just like the online pictures, but better! We stayed in Suite B. Our room was very large with several large windows looking out to an attractive back patio with a gas grill, table, chairs, umbrella, and large plants, which was all for our use also. The room, kitchen, and bathroom were very clean and well stocked with more than enough kitchen and bathroom amenities. We even had books and games, flat screen tv, and fun artwork on the walls to talk about. The king size bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. I looked at another room that was not occupied and it was just as large and beautiful. There
is also a free washer and drier for clothes. Very comfy and warm, yet hip.

The location is perfect. Close to trolley if you need it. Walk or trolley to Horton Plaza mall, Petco Park, Gaslamp, Convention Center, library, grocery, downtown shopping -eats- coffee, Zoo, Balboa Park, Old Town, Seaport Village. I felt safe walking downtown anywhere I wanted to go. A short drive to other city highlights, beach, and surrounding areas.

Regarding a few comments from another reviewer on Trip Advisor I will comment:
1) Not enough storage space ---- I disagree. The closet is large with plenty of hangers and hanging stacks for folded items, plus more shelves in the bathroom.
2) Street noise ---- We did not find that to be a problem at all. Like in any neighborhood, there are trucks or sirens on occasion, but not worth complaining about. We slept like a baby.
3) Bathroom too small and tub hard to get into ----- I disagree. The bathroom has plenty of storage and space to move around and a great claw foot tub/shower (how much space do you need in there ??? and if you are a 30 something year old, healthy person who can't lift your foot 2 feet off the floor without whacking it .....then I don't know what to tell ya.

So, when I made my reservation I asked Mike how it was that he offered so much and he told me it was an "effort of love" and that he and his wife just really love what they do for their guest. That is so true and so apparent from our 5 night stay at Mudville Flats. Mike and Linda are wonderful, kind, and generous people with a talent for decor and a true gift of hospitality. We travel a lot and this was the best accommodations experience by far. I’ve never wanted to write a review until now. Whenever we return to San Diego, we will stay at Mudville Flats!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LWTexas
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed August 29, 2009

We stayed here for a week in August and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone visiting the city.

It was our first trip to San Diego and Mudville Flats is a perfect base from which to explore the many attractions available. Places like La Jolla and Coronado are wonderful to visit but I'm glad we made the decision not to stay in either of these places for the week. It's an easy walk to the Gaslamp Area from Mudville Flats and we also walked to Little Italy plus Balbao Park during our stay. The added bonus of off-street parking makes taking a hire car simple and San Diego is not a difficult city to drive in.

Linda and Mike, the owners, were very welcoming and helpful. They provided a list of shops and restaurants that were within easy reach of the property. The East Village is, in our opinion, a wonderfully eclectic area and, by staying at Mudville Flats ,we feel that we were able to get a true feel for San Diego. There are some good places to eat and/or drink nearby and it's possible to avoid the 'touristy' restaurants if you want to. The streets feel very safe and we felt comfortable walking back to Mudville Flats after an evening out.

The apartment we had was spacious, comfortable and well-equipped. Having a kitchen was fabulous! The access to laundry facilities proved very useful as well.

Petco Park, the home of the San Diego Padres, is a short walk from this property and, if you are lucky enough to get the opportunity, going to a game is a great experience.

Mudville Flats proved to be a very positive experience for us - we'd willingly stay here again if the opportunity arose!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank StomWiltshire_UK
Stamford, CT
Reviewed August 28, 2009

What a treasure. Simple, easy, clean, elegant, hip. Walking distance to everything. And the price is right. Would heartily recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank MagillaGorilla
San Diego
Reviewed August 25, 2009

What an incredible place to stay. Close to everything...Petco Stadium, the Gaslamp District, the water, Balboa Park and the Zoo...everything San Diego has to offer and most of it within walking distance too. Linda and Mike were so helpful...giving us ideas on restaurants, sight seeing, a Realtor, even 'volunteering' a friend of Mike's for golf.

The bedroom/living room is large, the bed king-sized, the kitchen huge, and the bathroom as clean as they come with a cute claw footed tub. Mudville has underground secure parking for their guests and a washer and dryer available gratis. What a treat to come home with a suitcase full of clean clothes.

Mudville is a tranquil home-away-from-home just walking distance from the hustle and bustle of the Gaslamp. It's been a great place to stay. Thanks

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends