“Dirty and unsanitary”
Review of Beach Haven

Beach Haven
Ranked #136 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed May 15, 2007

Disgusting!!! Piss on toilet seat. Room smelt like piss. The most unsanitary place I have ever stayed. Checked out as soon as possible and stayed at the Pacific Terrace which was much better. You could not pay me to stay at the Beach Haven again. What a way to (--) my mothers day gift to my mom. GETTO!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed April 9, 2007

I would not have my worst enemy stay here! Our room was awful, it was room 102 to be exact. They gave away the room we had requested with 2 queen beds and said that they upgraded us with a suite! Are you kidding me, the kitchen was so gross I wouldn't have even popped popcorn in it. My friend slept in a lumpy bed, while I slept on a pullout couch in the living room.

Perhaps this place is great for college kids or folks with low standards of cleanliness. After just one night we checked out. I will never return to that hotel again!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2007

The hotel was affordable and the staff helpful and pleasant. Aside from that, the place was a disaster. The room was cramped and outdated. The first night of our stay the shower head came off and hit me on the head. Everytime we used an electrical outlet, the power in the room dimmed. There is very little insulation between rooms and if you happen to have someone occupying the rooms around you, don't expect to have a nice relaxing rest.
During our stay there was a heat wave in San Diego. Although the room was equipped with an A/C unit, I was told that the units did not work and I would have to rely on the ceiling fans. It got rather warm in the room.

Overall, the experience was awful.

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank Sparky1751
Reviewed January 2, 2007

My hubby and I stayed on our vacation and actually extended our stay because we loved the area so much. The rooms are small and very outdated but clean and the staff was wonderful. We were within walking distance of food, drink, beach, everything that you could possibly want.

• Stayed: January 2004, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa P
Reviewed December 20, 2006

Arrived late on December 16th and was greeted kindly and hospitably by older women in very nice office,,,,Went to the room to settle in an found bathroom cabinets all wood rotted and fixtures corroded. Mattresses had a coating of dirt. We slept on top of the bed and left abruptly in the morning without even showering. It was shocking. The smoke detectors didn't work either. No coffee pot or hair dryer as promised. Terrible experience...

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zameidal
Reviewed July 23, 2006

Stayed at this motel last summer and had a great time. When we were leaving the gm Jose booked us again for this year. He gave us the rate of $129.00 a night and told us we could reserve the room number we wanted. We reserved 3 rooms. When calling to confirm the reservation the Beach Haven didn't have any of our reservations. The girl at the front desk said that theres nothing they could do unless we saved are reservations cards, they were booked thank god we did. Had to call numerous times to speak to someone, the manager would never call back. When we arrived we didn't get the room we were promised. My room was on the top floor with no a/c. The room was extremely hot. There was a small evap. cooler in the kitchen area, which leaked all over the floor. We told the maintance man, all he did was dump the water out. Later I had to get towels because the the floor was soaked. The next day they did give us a new room. A few people we spoke with didn't have working a/c. When expressing my concerns to the manager, he just kept interrupting me. At the end of the conversation he said that he made us a deal on the room and he had people paying $200 a night (way to much for this motel). I took it as we must be second rate.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank Heas
Reviewed June 16, 2006

This is a older hotel and the rooms, while clean, do have a few problems. There was no remote for the tv in our room and the restroom door drug across the floor and had to be forced open and closed. The room had a smell that we never could figure out. We only stayed one night, but that was enough. On the positive side, the ocean is only a block away and the pier is another few blocks south.

1  Thank Omegagold