“A bit of a find”
Review of Beach Haven

Beach Haven
Ranked #136 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Brilliant location, there are funky bars, great places to eat and the beach all nearby. Fantastic value, hard to believe some of the hotels on the same block are nearly five times the price just to be beach front. The studio room we stayed in had been recently refurbished to a stylish standard I hadn't expected for a US style motel. Great bed. Stylish bathroom. The whole place spotlessly clean. I. Iked the additional touches decent quality bathroom products, generous numbers of clean towels. The studio has a small kitchen and dinning area and a sofa. Quite a bargin. The noise from the road and other guests was apparent but in fact didn't ever bother me and certainly didn't interrupt my sleep.

Room Tip: Upstairs away from the road
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CW69
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post a review about the Beach Haven Inn. Thank you for your comments about the location, the room, and the rates. Your apt description of the room is something we might borrow from you, with your permission, of course. The housekeepers are always pleased when a guest mentions the cleanliness of the rooms and the bathroom amenities provided. There are many fine dining establishments nearby to choose from or use the grill and barbeque, sitting poolside to enjoy your prepared meal. Thank you again for the wonderful comments and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Great service! Great location near beach. Room had fully equipped kitchen (pots pans utensils glasses even a corkscrew!). Outside they have a pool, a BBQ, and free parking.

I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the Beach Haven Inn. With our location only one block from the beach is one of the Beach Haven’s many fine features. The fully equipped kitchens are one of our many popular guest amenities. Plus as you mentioned there is a BBQ grill in the inner courtyard near the swimming pool and spa for guest enjoyment. We are also one of the few remaining properties with free parking and free wifi. Thank you again for your nice comments and we hope to accommodate you on any future trips you make to San Diego.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I booked a beautiful (according to the pictures) one bedroom suite for 6 nights online. Unfortunately, the suite they had for me was at the end corner of the building, which means right by the sidewalk, a few feet away from the busy/noisy Mission blvd. You open the door to your suite and you step right on the sidewalk... So I asked if I could have another suite, away from the blvd. They found one on the first floor; a much older one. The first floor feels like a basement suite and you can hear your side and upper neighbors quite well. On the living room side, I could hear the guy next door talking on his cell phone and I'm sure he could hear my TV. On the bedroom side, I could clearly hear my second neighbor snoring all night long. As for upstairs, on tile floor, you hear steps, moving chairs, etc. The bathroom had no fan, so you have to decide between opening the first floor window (back alley with many people walking by) or to steam up your suite for quite a while. The mini fridge had no shelves at all (even on the door), so I had to pile up the food; quite inconvenient...
On the bright side, the bed was very comfy, the suite fairly clean, the heating system in good working condition (but in need of cleaning) and the hot tub and pool quite nice.
Overall, the place is okay but I paid way too much for it and I would probably not stay there again. For the same price, I would try a different motel/Inn.

Room Tip: Second floor a must for privacy and less noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank pmga2070
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to review the Beach Haven Inn.
The majority of our suites have been remodeled. The initial suite we reserved for you was located on Mission Blvd. It is a major street and I can appreciate you wanting to relocate further away from the street. The 2nd suite you occupied has had some renovation done as well. It has a walk in shower, a new pillow top mattress and box spring and, since your review, we have replaced the mini refrigerator. The property is mature but it has does have, as you allude to, an outdoor heated pool and spa in the middle of the complex which are quite nice.
Thank you again for reviewing the property and we hope you will reconsider and make a return trip to the Beach Haven Inn.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We recently stayed at the Beach Haven Inn. The room was very clean but in serious need of renovation. The weather was particularly cold in San Diego a few weeks ago while we were there which was a problem, the room didn't have any heat. The hotel provided a small space heater but it didn't work well enough to warm the room. However, the bed was very cozy. The wall are very thin to the point where you could hear EVERYTHING going on in the next room. All in all I think I will reconsider staying at the Beach Haven Inn again.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure you have working AC or heat
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review the Beach Haven Inn. Thank you for the generous comments about the housekeeping staff, they work extremely diligently to make sure all guests have a clean and comfortable room upon check-in and throughout their stay. I do apologize for the primary heater not working in the room. The renovation process is an ongoing one and the staff tries to make every guest comfortable. I hope you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you in the future and provide a more pleasant stay. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had 2 rooms over the weekend for my daughter's birthday. Rooms were nice for our large group and included a kitchen which helped keep eating out to a minimum. Holly at the front desk was very helpful on the phone and ever better in person. Was there at our checkin and checkout and she was the only pleasent encounter we had with staff. The manager was extremely rude. Other than that we had an awesome weekend and will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Beach Haven. As you mentioned in your review, Holly is truly an asset to the Beach Haven family. The rooms you reserved with 2 queen beds and a kitchen in each room can accommodate 4 adults comfortably. It is unfortunate you considered the manager rude as he was only trying to remind your daughter and her friends of the quiet hour policy. Thank you again for writing the review and we hope to accommodate you again in the future!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Beach Haven Inn so much that I wanted to tell Trip Advisor.
My son, grandson and I stayed for one night. We did a quick online search and then made a quick phone call. The phone was answered by a very nice and helpful gal that gave us the rates and what was available and confirmation that there was a hot tub and pool with warm water temp.
We arrived and everything she had told us was true and I even got a AARP discount. The room was clean, large, colorful and comfy. The beds were as nice as we had stayed in that week. Then with a small kitchen off our room we were able to cook dinner. My son made steak and veggies on a stick and we barbequed them. We used the hot tub several times. Then enjoyed our room and a large flat screen tv. The next morning we walked a few blocks to breakfast and then came back and checked out. Even the cleaning crew was friendly and helpful. My son said that room will be his BEST memory of our trip! Loved it

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

“A Thursday Evening at Beach Haven Inn”
Thank you for taking the time to review the Beach Haven Inn. We appreciate your comments regarding the helpful guest service agent that provided the information regarding the property. Two of the most popular amenities are the outdoor heated swimming pool and the hot tub. The outdoor BBQ is also frequently used by our guests. Having the kitchen is really beneficial for keeping items refrigerated and having utensils and a dining room table available. Thank you again for your generous comments and we hope to see you on your next trip back to San Diego.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed there for five nights in early Jan. 2013 . I arrived late New Years Eve night and there were no issues, the staff had left a key for me. I stayed in a one bedroom with a kitchen. It was a lot larger then I thought. The Inn is extremely close to the surf at Pacific Beach along with many surf shops and restaurants. The heated pool and hot tub was great to jump into after a long day of surfing. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Great Value and location for those wanting to surf in the area and explore. If I'm ever back in San Diego, I will be returning to Beach Haven Inn.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for your kind words about the Beach Haven Inn.

The one bedroom suites are good sized and having a kitchen is a nice feature.
The swimming pool and spa ~ heated year round ~ are really nice amenities and provide some relaxation after a day spent sightseeing or enjoying the beach just a block away. There are many shops and restaurants within walking distance.

We hope when you return to San Diego you will stay with us at Beach Haven Inn.