“Motel=good. Employees=weird, bad”
Review of Beach Haven

Beach Haven
Ranked #136 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here over Labor Day weekend and our family suite was great..except there was only a tiny mini-fridge--that didn't suit us at ALL. We had to leave many items in our cooler. We didn't care too much, we were only there to spend time on the beach. However, the check in process was odd; we arrived very late and it seemed like it took the employee half an hour to check us in. Oh well, maybe we were delirious. My main problem, and the reason for writing this review, really, was the employee who was on duty the day we checked out. I think her name was Debbie...she was wearing a red shirt. Anyhoo, I went up to the office about an hour and a half before check-out time and inquired if we could check out an hour late, at noon, instead of 11. I explained we wanted to eat at Kono's and that there was a huge line outside, and we weren't sure we'd make it back in time. She just looked at me blankly and spoke to me like I was retarded. She said, "check out time is at 11". I said, I know, I'm asking if we can check out at noon instead, since I didn't think our room was going to be occupied right away, but she kept to her slow speech of "check out time is at 11". She then told me that we'd be fined $50 if we stayed in our room any longer than that. She was SO rude. We packed up and got out of that room before breakfast, and ended up checking out prior to check out time. I had my husband go in and do that because I was so mad. Because of this, I won't stay here again, and I won't recommend it either. I WILL say housekeeping did a great job every day, and we tipped accordingly.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not have a mini-fridge! Those things are useless if you plan on bringing f...
1  Thank jenny s
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at the Beach Haven Inn. Due to the configuration of our rooms the suites have mini refrigerators in a build in area. Some of our double queen rooms do connect to a full kitchen with large refrigerators
We ask the front desk to be very judicious in granting late checkouts as we are quite busy over the Labor Day Holiday. Please accept my apologies for what you considered an unfortunate interaction.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I enjoyed staying at the Beach Haven, very nice small motel. Nice pool and hot tub. And a beautiful beach, just a few steps away ! Beach does have a incline to walk down, but was well worth it !!!
The rooms were clean and updated recently. We upgraded with the kitchen,and saved some money eating in. The area has plenty of places to eat as well as night life, just a short walk away.
We stayed from 8-27 thru 8-31 2012. I found the staff to be very friendly, and helpfull. This has one of the nicest beaches in the area. The surfers are up early, and the beach has a lifeguard.
It was nice to come back after a long day out, and have a quiet place by the pool to relax !
You can pay much more at the bigger places, but this has a great spot in the Mission Bay area !
I would stay here again..

Travelers from Connecticut

Room Tip: stay in the rooms towards the back, less street noise !
2  Thank Gramps2011
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review on Trip Advisor.

As you mentioned in your review having the kitchen option is really beneficial whether you are a family or a couple. This gives you the option of eating in or visiting one of the many restaurants in the area. The courtyard area with the pool and spa is one of our many nice features. Yes, one block away to the ocean you must walk down to the beach via a ramp or stairs but it gives you a spectacular view from that vantage point. As you mentioned the surfers are out early and the sunsets can be awe-inspiring!
Improvements to the room and the property are an ongoing process and we appreciate you being aware that your room was recently updated.
We hope to see you back at the Beach Haven in the very near future!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed one night as a large group (18) at this hotel when we came out of Mexico and were waiting for a flight the next day. It was a comfortable, cozy little place only a block from the Mission Beach. The rooms were recently painted although one can still tell that the Inn has some years behind it. We found it to be clean and the beds very comfortable. The pool in the center of the complex was clean and big enough for the group to enjoy. The hot tub was a nice plus also. We were easy walking distance not only to the beach but to several restaurants like Fat Burger, IHOP and the Creamery...all of which we visited! The hotel was willing to hold our bags the next day but couldn't give us late checkout due to being fully booked. They were very good about booking a taxi to the airport which arrived early but there is no airport shuttle.

Room Tip: We had room 112, right by the pool entrance, which worked well for us. The pool closed at 10pm so th...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Beach Haven Inn. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. The staff at the Beach Haven takes pride in providing clean and comfortable rooms, and an overall well kept intimate property. The property has and will continue to have improvements made to accommodate our guests in the most pleasant surroundings possible. The location of the Beach Haven is truly an outstanding one as you noted.
As you mentioned the Inn is within walking distance (1 block) of the beach and many fine dining establishments. As you also mentioned the pool is a generous size and the hot tub is nice to have after a day at the beach or sightseeing.

It would be our pleasure to accommodate you and your group anytime!

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Will start with bill he was helpful from the start, & Clayton. The rooms were clean everyday, great staff very close to the beach, hot tub & pool area clean . We were 4 adults 2 kids , little kitchenette was great to have & BBQ grill.we enjoyed our stay recommend it people with family's , great memories.

• Stayed: August 2012

Dear Guest,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do enjoy accommodating families such as yours. Our sitting and dining area around the pool and spa is a good place to relax after a day spent sightseeing. The housekeeping staff does a wonderful job and it is thoughtful of you to recognize the hard work they put forth everyday. We hope now and then you will have a minute to reminisce about your stay and when the opportunity presents itself you will once again be our guests at the Beach Haven Inn.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I really enjoyed staying here. The staff were great, the pool and hot tub were nice and the location was excellent. The woman at the front desk was very helpful arranging transportation and other trip details. The only complaint was the hotel was kind of noisy - not necessarily people staying here, but because it was on the older side things were creaky and any time someone closed their door it sounded more like a door slam. But, considering the great price this place is definitely worth it- clean, great location and helpful staff!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
radelowgittins, General Manager at Beach Haven, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We strive to provide value with our competitive rates in offering fully equipped kitchens, close beach location and good customer service. Beach Haven Inn is a quaint little property and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Located near the beach (less than a block) was ideal. Also, the commercial strip offering many restaurants was a short walk away but far enough not to bother your stay. The pool and hot tub area was nice to end the day at and offered a complementary BBQ and eating area we enjoyed. The personnel was very nice and helpful. Rooms were basic but clean, exactly what to expect for a motel style.

Room Tip: Spend the extra to add the kitchenette, its worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank minic100

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and that you enjoyed our location being only one block for the ocean. We are consistently upgrading and renovating our rooms and pride ourselves on our housekeeping staff for their high cleaning standards. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. I thought for the location and price it would be great..nope. If it wasnt such a last minute trip, Im sure we would have stayed somewhere else based on an overall negative review. Little picky things dont bother me much and I can usually deal with it, this place is an exception. The staff (2 guys) were absolutely awful. The room was ok, the cleaning service was great. I went in to the front office one of the days of our stay and the guy was just completely rude, like I was some random person off the street asking to use a bathroom or something, not a paying guest. When we went to go check out he told me to "have a seat" like he was scolding me, asked me if we had more than 2 people in the room. He wanted to charge us the cost of having 2 extra people in the room for our stay. He had the nastiest tone, very condescending and accusatory. Our friends came to our room is all, didnt know that was against the rules. I really wish i would have taken picture of the room before I left, wouldnt be surprised if they are running some crook operation there and charging people for nothing. We left the room with trash thrown away, dishes done and a tip for the cleaning lady who did a great job. (Im sure he goes in there to pick up the tip before she gets a chance) I would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone. I had an impression that they might be the owners, if not, I really do hope the owner reads this and invests in training a more pleasant staff. I personally think staying a little south of there is better,at this place you can walk right to the beach in less than 2 min but have to walk down 4 flights of stairs to get to it (not a big deal but i like being able to walk right out) That might not be the best with young children or an adult that may have a problem with that. Dont waste your money here, it is NOT worth it.

Room Tip: Stay at the Blue Sea Lodge, better location, excellent staff, a little pricier but worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Lorena317

Dear Guest,

We would like to apologize for your bad experience as this is not acceptable. We have management changes at the hotel and following up on your comments, implemented new training standards and procedures for all employees at the property. Making sure our guests have a nice experience is our top priority. I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you how your comments have truly made a difference and you will not be disappointed.