“Extremely good value for money”
Review of Dolphin Motel

Dolphin Motel
Ranked #37 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed July 18, 2010

If your are looking for luxury this is not the place for you. But if you want a clean and extremely cheap accomodation in San Diego it's perfect. It also has free WiFi connection!

Reviewed July 14, 2010

Small, old fashioned family run motel. Quiet location right by the sport fishing boat harbour. Near to airport but no night flights (7am earliest). Good continental breakfast included, served in the courtyard, but no nearby food outlets other than a pricey sea food place on the dock. Very helpful staff allowed use of a computer for checking emails.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Tom Bodette only wishes he could provide clean comfortable rooms like Dolphin Motel. You will rarely have the opportunity to stay at a place like the Dolphin Motel. First off this is very much a no frills place. Nothing fancy here folks. You will find the Dolphin in an excellent location, steps from the sea, fishing boats, dining options, and cute homes. Enough can't be said about the staff, homey, and genuinely friendly. You will likely meet the owner, I chatted with him several times. This is an older, well maintained place that is extraordinarily clean. You can practically eat off the floors inside and out. Parking is included with your room rate too. The rooms are fairly small, glossy white walls, frig, a place to hang clothes, shower with wildly high water pressure...you could power wash your boat with this thing. No tub. The walls are thin, you will hear your neighbors on occasion, this is a quiet place though, and will not pose a problem for most. A modest breakfast is provided near some outdoor tables, with umbrellas, it can be a very laid back sociable scene if you choose to get involved, or you can relax in solitude. Bottom line, for the price, location, cleanliness, and hospitality, you will seriously have a hard time beating this place. Although this is far from a 5 star hotel, for the price and everything else considered, I give it 5.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2010

Hello again--Dad remembers you good folks and that red BMW. We appreciate your creative and funny writing style,and thanks for the honest review. Hope to see you again--- Best regards-Dad and Alan

Reviewed June 30, 2010

When we tried to book a hotel room for our one night stay in San Diego, I contacted a travel agent to find us a good deal. The bargain she found for us was $160 per night in a decent hotel near Seaworld. As all we were looking for was a clean, safe place to crash for the night, I decided to do a little search of my own and I am glad I did. I stumbled upon this hidden gem on tripadvisor.
This quiet little motel cost us less than half of my travel agent's bargain. The rooms were clean and the customer service impeccable. I highly recommend this place and I myself will stay there without second thought.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2010

My friend and I recently stayed at the Dolphin Motel for five days. It was a great experience. The owners / managers were helpful, friendly and always willing to offer good advice on local activities, attractions and restaurants.
The rooms, although a bit on the small side, were clean and well maintained. This motel is located very close to Shelter Island and the fishing fleet. Point Loma, Ocean Beach and downtown San Diego are easy access from this motel. If you like to walk or bike, there is plenty of area close to the Dolphin.
Would definitely recommend this motel and I would stay again in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2010

This place is cheap, which is it's main point. The staff we met were very friendly and helpful. The room itself was small, I'm talking about four or five feet clearance around a double bed, apart from a small nook that has hangars etc.

Room was perfectly clean, had a fridge and an old (large) tv - free wireless internet in room, the bathroom was smallish but clean and everything was in working order.

Noise-wise, not so good, we could hear what was going on in the rooms next to us pretty clearly although the people staying there were not being unduly noisy, just be aware that if you did have someone noisy next to you it might not be so good. Also two busy roads run within a block of the motel so if traffic noise is not your thing, stay somewhere else. I wear ear plugs when sleeping so it caused me no undue problems.

The San Diego public works dept decided to chop some of the trees across the road and then chip the branches at 8.30 a.m. one morning which was also pretty noisy, obviously this is not something that the motel had any control over.

Overall if you want to save on your accommadation and don't mind a bit of noise or being away from Downtown San Diego, this is worth a look.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2010

Thank you for your input. In as much as we are located 200 feet from San Diego Bay, where the port has planted palm trees to give the area a Hawaiian theme it is unfortunate that they decided to trim them during tourist season and early in the morning. Our rooms are small and the wall are thin.Unfortunately on the date of your stay we had a large wedding party and they did make noise! we apologize and hope you will return The main objective we try to obtain is a clean room, good beds, and a good night sleep Once more we do sincerly apologize and hope you will visit us again.. Thanks,Alan and Holly (Owners)

Reviewed June 17, 2010

This is a good value hotel, the rooms are nice and clean. There was complimentary breakfast but we didn't have time to stop and eat any. The staff were helpful and friendly and gave us a voucher for some restaurants 5 mins down the road. We went to a seafood restaurant, I can't remember the name but it was very nice indeed! There was pool, which we didnt use. Free parking and free internet. I like this hotel!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2010

Hi young ladies-sounds like you made the long trip home safely. As per our last talk I am going to try and visit your beautiful country too. Nice having you stay with us.-- Alan Murdock

PS I think there was some confusion on the ratings zeros , but thank you for taking the time to say such nice things about Dad and my motel. Best regards Alan