“Dolphin Motel, San Diego Ca”
Review of Dolphin Motel

Dolphin Motel
Ranked #21 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Az
“Dolphin Motel, San Diego Ca”
Reviewed July 25, 2006

Very Clean, helpful and nice office staff, walls thin, could hear snoring neighbor. I would stay again when i needed a budget hotel, in fact I've called to stay again two times within a month of my 4th of july stay and they tripled the rates on what would have been my 2nd stay and doubled them on the 3rd attempt. Price Gouging will keep me from using them again. The product is a budget product which is priced fairly in slow times and outrageous at others. MJ

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank MJJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
England
Reviewed July 17, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Dolphin Motel for 3 nights in June, we chose this motel after reading some of the reviews on this site. We were looking for a cheap motel that was clean and safe, the Dolphin did not disappoint. The rooms had everything that was needed, fridge, nice bathroom, comfortable bed and was kept very clean. The staff here were very friendly and gave us directions and recommendations of where to visit which really helped. The harbour opposite is lovely and I would recommend staying here for anyone looking for budget accomodation.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Doobs1976
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2006

I stayed at the dolphin for 5 days in June 2006 (I am a student on vacation through the west coast) and found the service to be above what you would find almsot anywhere.

The owner, whose name I have forgotten, (Chief, as I called him) is one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure to meet.I arrived in San Diego not knowing what to do or where to go, and he took the time to explain the best places to go, and how to get to them. This kind man alone is reason enough to stay. For example:

On day 2, my visa card was jammed by my bank in the UK (always let your bank know when you go abroad!!!), leaving me without cash temporarily (my parents sent me some through western union) and the owner offered to loan me some money to get some food. Like I said, a wonderful man!

The rooms were lovely. Extremely clean, wonderful beds with great bathrooms attached, soft towels etc.

The Dolphin also had free DSL and cable TV with many channels, a fridge, and some of the rooms had lovely views of the harbor.

I could not fault the Dolphin in anyway, and as far as value for money goes, I invite people to try to find better. It cost about $50 a night and was worth far more than that.

You do not need to stay anywhere else in San Diego.

• Stayed June 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mesa, AZ
Reviewed May 18, 2006

My Husband and I chose the Dolphin Motel after reading a lot of reviews on this site. Thank you all for recommending this Motel. We flew into San Diego for a two day getaway with the intention of going as inexpensive as possible, using public transportation and walking as much as possible. The Dolphin is the perfect location if you want to be near the water (harbor and beaches). Bus stops to get to the beaches and into town were fairly close by and it was an easy walk to Shelter Island.

The owner, Holly and his staff were absolutely accommodating and when our cab did not show up the one evening it was pouring rain, Holly drove us to our destination at Shelter Island himself. He made sure we were comfortable and had everything we needed during our stay.

As everyone else has stated, this motel is clean, comfortable and the staff is wonderful. Never mind how small the rooms are, you can't beat this motel for price or location when you are in San Diego to enjoy the outdoors.

Holly, Thank You again for taking care of us!

• Stayed April 2006
14 Thank Laurie F
Palm Springs
Reviewed May 8, 2006

The Dolfin Motel is the cleanest, safest, most economical motel in San Diego. I have stayed there numerous times over the past year and it has always been a pleasurable experience. The rooms are 'no frills' but offer comfy beds, cable TV and a view of the San Diego Bay (right across the street). Doughnuts and coffee are free every morning. A swimming pool is on the grounds.

The location is unbeatable in cozy Point Loma (one of the largest Sportfishing marinas in the US)--5 minutes from the San Diego Airport, 10 minutes from downtown, and easy highway access to all San Diego recreation spots. Within walking distance are lovely little restaurants, Humphreys on Shelter Island for concerts, day spa and beauty salons... and many places to take a walk or just sit and enjoy the views.

Holly, the owner/manager of the Dolfin Motel, and his staff are very attentive to the guests and will work hard to make your stay comfortable.

Rates are from $45 and up depending on the season. (--) Give it a try!!

7 Thank MariaSuzette
Sterling, VA
Reviewed April 23, 2006

My stay here was better than would be expected. Very clean rooms. Curteous and helpful front desk help (at all hours). Pretty quiet. No security problems, well lit and open. Well worth what you pay. I'm coming back soon.

• Stayed June 2002