“They took care of us. Thanks so much.”
Review of Dolphin Motel

Dolphin Motel
Ranked #37 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Where do I start, I reserved the room for Sunday, we arrived Friday for a fishing trip, the sport fishing parking lots were closed for A Day at the Docks , The Dolphin Motel let us park in there parking lot while we were out fishing. We got back from fishing and my Wife was sea sick the hole trip, Even though check in time is 1:00 pm they got us in at 10:00 am. They went so far out of there way for us, THANK YOU DOLPHIN MOTEL

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Thank you guys for choosing our motel for your fishing & parking destination.
It's good to hear from you guys again!
I remember talking to you guys last Friday when you left & Sunday when you came back.
I'm glad you felt better now, we did our best to get the rooms ready
I agree with what you guys said, Day At the Docks was like a zoo!
Parking spaces were being fought over, & people everywhere!
For 1 day (across the street) it is the busiest day every year!
Yes, we do offer 7-nights free parking when you stay during the off-season (excluding certain days & summer months).
The summer is fast approaching & the vacation season looks to be hustling & bustling
Of course, warm stable weather brings guests to San Diego year round!
Hope you will return and book for a much shorter fishing trip (maybe 3/4 day fishing trip) next time.
Glad you have you guys here!

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I been here once . And i can say i will. Come back on my next visit on this area.Size is perfec for how cheap the price is. And many shopping centers around this place. Clean and organize. Seems like they have a really good manteinence guy

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Good day to you Luis, it's good to hear from you guys again!
Whether our guests are from Europe, Canada, or north county San Diego.
Our budget-friend (but small) rooms offer an alternative from other higher priced places luxury.
We may not fit all guests but we hope they would consider our motel if planning a budget getaway.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

I almost hesitated to post a review because I'd rather keep this great little place a secret! However, I'm a middle-aged woman who often travels alone, and so I know how important it is for others like me to find a safe, affordable place to stay. The Dolphin rooms are utterly pristine -- a rarity when it comes to inexpensive hotels. The shower stall was immaculate. The rooms are tiny, furnished only with a bed, refrigerator, and small table, but if you're in San Diego you don't want to spend time indoors! (And if you know NYC hotels, this is no different -- but a lot cleaner!) The Dolphin is located on the marina, just a few minutes from the airport, beaches, Old Town, and Downtown. The front desk guys are incredibly polite and helpful, and the owner took time to give me suggestions about beaches and views and driving routes. The breakfast options were plentiful. I had no problem with noise but I could see the potential for issues given the wrong neighbors, so bring earplugs. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Book a room upstairs in the main building for a view and more privacy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Thank you Skylark for writing about our recent stay at our budget friendly motel.
I'm sure majority tripadvisor readers would agree with me in that there is no perfect place. It is a trade-off between price vs. value (what accommodations the guests receives for the price they pay).
Since we are a family-owned, family operated small time motel since 1970s, not much has changed in terms of how our owners run the place.
One guest described our place as a "trip back in time", although we have flat screen T.V.s & high speed internet, our room layout doesn't change nor our owner's work ethics. They put in every effort to ensure our guests enjoy their stay & appreciate their dedication.
But most important is our guests that keep our family business surviving in these tough times.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

In May 2012 my wife and I found this motel and the experience was fantastic. Although the rooms are small they are spotlessly clean. Messers Murdoch Sr. and Jr. and Steve, the manager, can't do enough for you. In October of 2013, before embarking on a cruise, we returned with my Mum and stayed there again. The continental breakfast is always a treat and a lovely little courtyard to sit and enjoy it in. My Garmen was giving me trouble and so Steve loaned me a Garmen and a cell phone while we were there. That was super because we were going to San Marcos to visit my cousin and we were not too sure of the route to take. The location of this motel is superb. There are excellent restaurants within walking distance nearby and variety and wine and licquor stores just one block away. We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in San Diego.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Our diligent, hard working owners Alan & Holly, and manager Steve thank you guys very very much for giving us a chance.
From looking at your profile, you guys are equally generous to all other locations you have been.
I'm sure they would agree with us, it is a pleasure to have you guys!
We appreciate the generous review you guys put on our behalf.
Hopefully all future tripadvisor readers will consider our budget friendly motel as a top choice when visiting San Diego.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Dolphin Motel from March 8-13. After reading about countless options, and wanting to stay within a certain budget, we booked the Dolphin based on Tripadvisor reviews. I'm so glad we made the choice. If you're on a budget and you're seeking a safe, very clean, quiet place to stay with free parking in a great location, look no farther and book this motel! But be warned, the walls are thin, the rooms are smaller (it's a motel after all!), and noise carries easily, so guests are asked to keep the noise levels down overnight. We really appreciated this because we're quiet people. If you want to party and create a lot of noise at night, the Dolphin is not for you.

The Dolphin's location by the marina is pleasantly bustling during the day, and quite serene at night. The continental breakfast every morning is such a nice touch -- it saved us time and money and we enjoyed our morning dose of sunlight on the patio! The free parking was a huge perk that we were so happy to receive! The owners were very welcoming, friendly and very helpful in suggesting points of interest during our stay. We had a wonderful vacation and hope to return to the Dolphin on our next trip out to San Diego. Thank you!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Our deep deep gratitude to you guys in choosing our modest budget motel.
Every little detail our hard-working owners Alan & Holly put into running the place, they hope will reflect positively with customer satisfaction.
What else can we do when it is an older motel? Everything!
Every morning you can see them going back & forth: greeting all the guests, doing maintenance, customer service.
Most important is good guests like you guys, who define our motel.
Thank you good guests!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I'd booked this place in advanced for between Christmas and New Year. The nice men on reception doubled up as tourist information guides and gave us lots of suggestions of places to visit. We went to all of them! We would never have gone to some without the suggestions so thanks a lot! They even supplied us with a zip code for each attraction and a hand drawn map.
The room was small but it wasn't cramped- it was fine- nice and clean! Fridge was handy as well.
Breakfast was served outside our room to help yourself- muffins, fruit, yoghurt, juice and hot drinks. Perhaps repetitive but the blueberry muffin was nice and ideal for the price of the room. It was close to Jimmy's Bar where we ate dinner one night but you need a car or taxi to get everywhere in San Diego. We has a car so it was ok. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you guys for sharing your recent stay to other tripadvisor readers.
Your review is balanced & we hope future potential guests can weigh their options for our motel.
There are so many in San Diego to choose from, with associated price differences & accommodations.
Our dedicated owners & motivated staff hope they will strongly consider our motel when planning to visiting San Diego. We try so hard for your business!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

After reading the reviews I booked 5 nights at the Dolphin for our first trip to San Diego. What a great budget friendly place to stay. The room was small but unbelievably, squeaky clean and the bed very comfortable. The location was perfect for the sightseeing we planned to do. We enjoyed our visits with Holly each morning and his recommendations of places to go and the good directions he gave. All the staff was very friendly and eager to please. Will definitely be back someday and hope Holly is there to greet us.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Thank you guys for making our motel a part of your recent visit to San Diego!
We're so glad you found us
It's good that you took advantage of the pre-summer rates that we offer
Generally San Diego enjoys great weather all year-round
Our dedicated staff & hard-working owners all appreciate you sharing our motel to tripadvisor readers.
We're still family-owned & operated and appreciate every little help from many generous guests, avid tripadvisor posters, or new members seeking advice on their future travels