“Great for long weekend”
Review of Dolphin Motel

Dolphin Motel
Ranked #52 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend by myself. Hotel is centrally located if you have a car. Rooms are incredibly clean and quiet. Parking is free, staff was wonderful, free simple breakfast provided and the room was cleaned every day. I will definitely try and stay here again if I am in San Diego.

The only thing is you need to bring your own shampoo as they don't have any in the rooms.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank James S
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Our sincere thanks to you James for taking the time to write about your stay here last Presidents Day weekend, and boy was it a busy weekend!
Stacked between Valentines & Presidents Day we had so many last minute phone calls during the evening from desperate walk-ins!
As a smart traveler, you did call ahead of time to book the room, which in hindsight saved a lot of headache
Also you were able to not pay the premium price for last minute rooms (which from what I found out by calling other locations ranged between $100+tax - $170+tax that weekend!
We encourage all our future guests to avoid the crowd and book ahead, as is common knowledge that last minute rooms will pay highest prices

Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)

Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

While I live in France now I grew up in San Diego and went to Point Loma High so I know the area well. It was like coming home and at the Dolphin I was right at home!
I came to visit my mom, who lives in a retirement home on Banker's Hill. So the location was perfect, near the airport but no jet noise, off a quiet street, with immediate access to Harbor Drive.
All the superlatives are well earned:
Clean, comfortable, friendly staff, free breakfast and Internet; it has it all!
If available I recommend an upstairs room in the main building; gorgeous view of the sunrise coming up over the marina through the palm trees. Quintessential Southern California!
I've already booked my next stay in April.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

It's such a pleasure to hear from you again Mr. Sw!
My oh my! You sure put a smile on our owners when they read this
We were just talking about your return in a few months back to San Diego.
Being a native San Diego myself, I wouldn't mind lively abroad for awhile
This sleepy city enjoys good weather, ample sunshine, and stead stream of visitors year-round.
(Also explains why its so darn expensive to live here)
Once again, from our hard-working owners & staff we thank you for giving us the opportunity to make your visit most pleasant

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We just spent a week at the Dolphin Motel. It was a perfect location to see the sites of San Diego. It was very quiet & I always felt safe. Most evenings we walked to dinner at local restaurants suggested by the staff. We enjoyed walking along the bay located directly across the road. The rooms are a little small but very clean. All of our needs were met & more. The staff was exceptional. Very well done Dolphin Motel.....we'll be back!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

It's not been long since you left with a smile that we heard from you guys again in this review!
Thank you Mr. & Mrs R. for finding our motel from the many others in San Diego
For your extended stay during this off-season we offer the lowest price with the most accommodations.
Since our service comes from the heart, our genuine attitude towards our guests comes directly from the owners themselves; whom genuinely care for their business & employees.
It would be wonderful if we could make a friend for life to all our guests, because we appreciate the business that comes from word-of-mouth; which in our opinion is the best marketing tool!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Great location, everything we needed in a clean and friendly place great staff. Will come back again, 24hr desk. great help with sight seeing directions. Light breakfast felt very safe here. very surprised to find a flat screen television and a mini fridge in a $50.00 room.

Room Tip: rooms by the office have better wifi.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

It is such a treat yo have you guys stay with us for the week
Everyday I would see you guys walk by the office while going sight-seeing across San Diego
It was a pleasure to get to know you guys from the conversation we had few days back.
I agree with what you guys said in that most of our old friends have gone somewhere
Nowhere to be seen, can't even find them on facebook!
Stories aside, please don't hesitate to give us a call the next time to stop by this corner of California!

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for more than a month and we learned to love the place like our home away from home. Cleanliness and order is superb with so friendly owners and staff...i'd say they love what they're doing. A perfect location with great neighborhood. Mr. Murdock, thank you...Now, we have a 'home' whenever we're in san diego! Oh! They do have breakfast, delish choco muffins.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Public Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Our warmest regards to you & the family for choosing our motel
I'm so glad to know our hard-working owners stand out above the rest in providing you anything of need
It was a pleasure to see you guys every day going back & forth to the college, knowing you care a lot about his future & being proactively involved
Best wishes to your son & his college journey
Would love to have you back next year for another few weeks visit!

Reviewed January 29, 2014

We enjoyed our stay great location and priced right. Great recommendations for sightseeing from the staff. Traveling with 2grandkids, 11 and 8 and stayed at 2 other hotels. They thought the Dolphin had the friendliest people. Thanks for the cane!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
DolphinMotel, Guest Relations Manager at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Our manager Steve & owners send their regards
Nice to have you here at our modest little motel

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Location, location,not just location but clean,clean not just clean but also reasonably priced. Not a 5 star more like staying with family you may even here your neighbors a little. This little gem is 10 minutes from everything. Lets see priced right, clean, free parking, free light breakfast, 24hr desk, friendly owner operator. I will stay there again. I love the idea of using all white sheets and blankets they just looked and felt clean and fresh.

Room Tip: i like looking into the habor but I don't think there would be a bad one
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Many thanks to these nice couple for writing about us.
As a modest family-owned, family-operated motel, we treat all our good guests like family
If the request is not over the top, we would go out of our way to get for you
Don't want to mention anything specific but yes, our hard-working owners ensure all our guests get the individual attention they need.
That's one of our strong points for being a little motel.
Much of the personal touch comes from our lack of being owned by a corporation/franchise
Hope you come back to San Diego in the near future