Dolphin Motel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Hotel Aqua Mar(San Diego)
View Hotel
Hotel Point Loma(San Diego)
1,140 results
All reviewsrooms are smallyogurtsport fishingpoint lomamitch's seafoodfree wifishelter islandcontinental breakfastflat screen tvevery morningplace to sleepcomic conair conditionershort driveold townmini fridgebalboa park
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed one night here. Although a basic motel, they tried hard to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Room was basic but had all you need. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast of coffee, yoghourt, juice and muffins was all you needed. Close to the airport, so easy to get to with our hire car. Free parking and wifi. Just across the road from the marina - we got up early and went to watch the sport fishermen landing their catches.
In all a good place to stay if you want a place to stay in San Diego that is value and no frills.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hi Taymar, Thanks for all the nice things you said about our motel! And yes, parking and wi-fi, as well as GPS, computer and cell phone use are all complimentary. We try to be upfront and honest with our guests. No hidden fees here. Hope you will stay with us again so we can improve on the 3 rating you gave us.

Best regards,
Alan Murdock, owner

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stopped in without reservations on a Friday and were lucky to get a room. The motel is a older style motel and the rooms on the small side, but the motel was well maintain, the rooms were clean and staff was very friendly and helpfull . Location is close to everything we were looking for.I would recommend this motel, and will stay there again next time we are in SanDiago.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the bay side.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bille44
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you bille44 for your generous review of our motel.
Usually the weekends are busy and we get frequent calls for last rooms.
I'm glad you guys came in first, as I did get 3-4 more calls afterwards.
Being an older motel, we cater to budget travelers, majority of the time we get nice folks; and occasional we get some with higher expectations; we try to work with everyone.
We do especially welcome friendly guests looking for a good deal around town but we do have our limitations.
It comes down to what our good guests expect, we are honored to have such nice guests like yourself who see our little motel for its value.
Our owners and staff to try so hard to make things work for everyone, and they hope our guests can see their sincerity.
We hope to continue serving everyone who gives us a chance.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Dolphin Motel for 3 nights and it was perfect. Very friendly, comfortable and clean! Dolphin motel is the place to go!! Many thanks to Alan for his excellent tour guide informations! Greetings from Italy! :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you Daniel for the generous review
I'll tell Mr. Murdock the owner about Alan's hard work!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This motel is a gem. We spent 3 nights there recently and cannot recommend it highly enough. As expected, our room was small, but it was exceptionally clean and very comfortable. The staff, from Thomas at the front desk, to Lynn the housekeeper, to owners Alan and his father, were very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate our needs. For example, shortly after arriving at the motel my husband and I took a walk on the dock across the street. A bird pooped on my sweater - a huge mess! I returned to the motel , where Lynn insisted on cleaning it for me. She hand washed it, dried it, and returned it to me spotlessly clean within an hour. I definitely wouldn't have had that type of service at a chain hotel. Every morning at breakfast we enjoyed talking to Alan and his father about our plans for the day. They had great suggestions and were a wealth of information about the area.
The location, right across the street from the sport fishing landing, can't be beat. We enjoyed eating outside at two restaurants, Mitch's Seafood and Point Loma Seafood, while watching the charter fishing activity at the dock.
Clean, quiet, inexpensive, a wonderful staff and a great location - how can you go wrong?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings to you Lisa and your husband
Thank you veeery much for writing about your recent stay with us
Your review brought a welcome enthusiasm to our owners as they read it in the morning
It really made their day
Our housekeepers & staff also want to thank you for this kind and very personal review
Yes, those pesky birds are a nuisance once in a while
Being a family-owned business, we do try so hard to make our guests feel like family!
Please mention about this the next time you visit San Diego, we always welcome back our good friends!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights the last week of Sept 2013 and was very happy with my stay at the Dolphin, this is a no frills motel that is in a real nice (and safe) neighborhood that is across the street from the marina. Background: My buddies and I were in town for a weekend of pub crawls and going to Qualcomm to watch the Chargers vs Cowboys game. While planning for the trip (booking flights, researching hotels, etc) my buddies elected to stay in a well known chain budget hotel in the Gas Lamp Quarter for approx. $125 a night because they wanted to be close to the bars. I elected to break away from my buddies and chose the Dolphin based on Trip Advisor reviews. My rationale was I was looking to keep this trip low budget and why should I pay $125 a night for a room since I would only be staying there to sleep and take a shower? I did the math-- the Dolphin is approx $65 a night (costs fluctuates +/- $5 or $10 a night depending on the night), travel to Gas Lamp area is about 7 miles ($20 cab ride one way) or walk one block (45 second walk) to take a $2.25 bus to Old Town Trolley stop to buy a $5 day pass to take Trolley to Gas Lamp Qtr stop and that day pass would cover my return trip on the trolley and bus back to motel . Tip: The bus runs every hour. Just walk up to the bus stop and it has a phone number to send a text msg to and you will receive a text msg back to tell you when the next bus is coming. So for the 4 nights, depending on how inebriated I was or how late in the evening it was, I took the cab 2 nights and public transportation 2 nights. So transportation was $40 x 2 = $80 for cab and approx $15 for public transportation. Still saved alot of money than staying in Gas Lamp. Now onto the Motel-- its a 1960's style no frills unit, the bed is comfy, the room is very clean, wifi good, tv/cable good, the shower water pressure is very strong!, the staff is very friendly and the continental breakfast of muffins, fresh bananas, coffee and OJ hits the spot. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

The owner was very enthusiastic at reading your generous review!
It goes to show a little research can go a long way when it comes to budgeting for a weekend getaway
I agree with you, the Downtown Gaslamp area does charge for parking (and most charge for WiFi internet)
Your review is very well written and will give future guests an idea of what to expect
The text message about public transportation is something I just knew about; very helpful!
We will welcome you back in the near future, remember to call as far ahead to reserve a room because we do fill up within a month's time.