Dolphin Motel
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of $321/night.

Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
$205
$183
Hilton.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $204/night.

Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$188
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of $260/night.

$229
Hilton.com
  • Beachfront
La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites(La Jolla)
$207
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $229/night.

$199
$195
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $217/night.

Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)
$311
  • Pool
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of $339/night.

$313
$249
  • Pool
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
$229
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $275/night.

1,146 results
All reviewsrooms are smallyogurtsport fishingpoint lomamitch's seafoodfree wifishelter islandcontinental breakfastflat screen tvevery morningplace to sleepcomic conair conditionershort driveold townmini fridgebalboa park
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Dolphin Motel for 3 nights and it was perfect. Very friendly, comfortable and clean! Dolphin motel is the place to go!! Many thanks to Alan for his excellent tour guide informations! Greetings from Italy! :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you Daniel for the generous review
I'll tell Mr. Murdock the owner about Alan's hard work!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This motel is a gem. We spent 3 nights there recently and cannot recommend it highly enough. As expected, our room was small, but it was exceptionally clean and very comfortable. The staff, from Thomas at the front desk, to Lynn the housekeeper, to owners Alan and his father, were very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate our needs. For example, shortly after arriving at the motel my husband and I took a walk on the dock across the street. A bird pooped on my sweater - a huge mess! I returned to the motel , where Lynn insisted on cleaning it for me. She hand washed it, dried it, and returned it to me spotlessly clean within an hour. I definitely wouldn't have had that type of service at a chain hotel. Every morning at breakfast we enjoyed talking to Alan and his father about our plans for the day. They had great suggestions and were a wealth of information about the area.
The location, right across the street from the sport fishing landing, can't be beat. We enjoyed eating outside at two restaurants, Mitch's Seafood and Point Loma Seafood, while watching the charter fishing activity at the dock.
Clean, quiet, inexpensive, a wonderful staff and a great location - how can you go wrong?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Greetings to you Lisa and your husband
Thank you veeery much for writing about your recent stay with us
Your review brought a welcome enthusiasm to our owners as they read it in the morning
It really made their day
Our housekeepers & staff also want to thank you for this kind and very personal review
Yes, those pesky birds are a nuisance once in a while
Being a family-owned business, we do try so hard to make our guests feel like family!
Please mention about this the next time you visit San Diego, we always welcome back our good friends!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights the last week of Sept 2013 and was very happy with my stay at the Dolphin, this is a no frills motel that is in a real nice (and safe) neighborhood that is across the street from the marina. Background: My buddies and I were in town for a weekend of pub crawls and going to Qualcomm to watch the Chargers vs Cowboys game. While planning for the trip (booking flights, researching hotels, etc) my buddies elected to stay in a well known chain budget hotel in the Gas Lamp Quarter for approx. $125 a night because they wanted to be close to the bars. I elected to break away from my buddies and chose the Dolphin based on Trip Advisor reviews. My rationale was I was looking to keep this trip low budget and why should I pay $125 a night for a room since I would only be staying there to sleep and take a shower? I did the math-- the Dolphin is approx $65 a night (costs fluctuates +/- $5 or $10 a night depending on the night), travel to Gas Lamp area is about 7 miles ($20 cab ride one way) or walk one block (45 second walk) to take a $2.25 bus to Old Town Trolley stop to buy a $5 day pass to take Trolley to Gas Lamp Qtr stop and that day pass would cover my return trip on the trolley and bus back to motel . Tip: The bus runs every hour. Just walk up to the bus stop and it has a phone number to send a text msg to and you will receive a text msg back to tell you when the next bus is coming. So for the 4 nights, depending on how inebriated I was or how late in the evening it was, I took the cab 2 nights and public transportation 2 nights. So transportation was $40 x 2 = $80 for cab and approx $15 for public transportation. Still saved alot of money than staying in Gas Lamp. Now onto the Motel-- its a 1960's style no frills unit, the bed is comfy, the room is very clean, wifi good, tv/cable good, the shower water pressure is very strong!, the staff is very friendly and the continental breakfast of muffins, fresh bananas, coffee and OJ hits the spot. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

The owner was very enthusiastic at reading your generous review!
It goes to show a little research can go a long way when it comes to budgeting for a weekend getaway
I agree with you, the Downtown Gaslamp area does charge for parking (and most charge for WiFi internet)
Your review is very well written and will give future guests an idea of what to expect
The text message about public transportation is something I just knew about; very helpful!
We will welcome you back in the near future, remember to call as far ahead to reserve a room because we do fill up within a month's time.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I like the location a lot, near the harbor only about 15 minutes driving to the old town, the stuff is very friendly and helpful. The room is small but very clean and cozy. The internet speed is kind slow, but it is free, so I have no complain.

The room is quiet since I only stay there for one night, so I cannot make the conclusion to say it is quiet, but it is definitely not noisy.

If you are in the budget, and need some nice place to stay, dolphin motel is the place to go!!

welcome from the first time we stepped into the office, to the time we were leaving. The proprietors were really friendly, and did everything they could to make our stay superb

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
DolphinMotel, Owner at Dolphin Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you Chi Z for the pleasant response and for choosing our motel for your recent business stayover
Yes, there is 24 hour staff on duty
Being an small motel, noise does travel around
Guests choose our location because of the quiet, and per the owner's policy we respectfully ask all our guests to keep T.V. & voices down after 9:00pm
My apologies about the WiFi, please notify our staff & we can reset the internet
We have high speed WiFi which the owner paid around $300, sometimes on busy nights the WiFi is not distributed evenly and multiple guests will use it to watch movies
Once again, our owners express their sincere gratitude to you guys for staying with us
We have always been a family-owned, family-operated business and we hope our efforts are appreciated by all our customers

Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I planned a girls weekend and I had heard of this place so we booked a room. We absolutely loved it!!! We had a huge porch with table and tons of chairs, free breakfast and water. All the staff were super friendly and helpful! I will always stay here when I am in town they made us feel very special and we were very comfortable and safe!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you Heather for your recent visit to our budget motel
Your generous review is very much appreciated by our owners & staff
Majority of our customers do a little research beforehand
Our rooms are small, budget is our niche
Every places is different and doing a little research could potentially save some money
Parking, WiFi, Breakfast in san Diego can be charged at other higher chain hotels or free, really depends on where you are staying.
It all comes down to deciding the best fit for your needs.
Our owners' hard work is reflected on the staff
Service is a must, because a smile costs nothing