“Very happy with the Doubletree”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar
Ranked #100 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed November 19, 2010

We chose to stay here last minute due to a remodel at our house down the street. We were very happy with the hotel. Family of 4 fit in the room easily. Very clean. Updated. Room was quiet. Beds were comfy. Super friendly staff. Great room rate. Easy and free parking. Charging for internet seems outdated. On-site restaurant was great. The morning breakfast buffet has everything one would expect. Enjoyed the pool, hot tub and the fire pit. We ended up staying a second night and felt like we were on vacation. Switched to a PUR room because wanted to see what it was like. It cost a little bit more, but the big difference was an air purifier in the room. We liked this room. The kids wanted to stay about 3 more nights.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
DoubletreeDelMarGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

Whether you travel for hours or arrive from just down the street the Doubletree San Diego/Del Mar is happy to be your home away from home! I am excited that you had the opportunity to discover a PURE Allergy Friendly Double Queen Room and truly appreciate your time and comments. We can't wait to welcome you back to the Doubletree Del Mar for your next "staycation" or a delicious meal in our newly renovated restaurant 56&5!

Richard Sandoval

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed November 15, 2010

My experience at the Doubletree was overall good. There were a few things that I thought would have made this a 5 star review. Ladies you will understand this, I had NO full length mirror in the my room at all. I struggled to see which shoes looked right with which outfit. I don't think I've stay at a hotel of this caliber that did not have a long mirror? I was very disapointed. The room was clean and the grounds were very nice. We enjoyed the many amenities there, like the jazzuzi and fitness room. The bed was extremely comfortable and is the most important thing for me when I look into staying at a hotel. Internet was high, but becuase of a great veterens rate we opted to use it while we were there. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Not the first time I've stayed here...but the first time I've done a review. Me and the wife love this hotel. Located in a business area but only 5 minutes to an uncrowded beach. We love San Diego but enjoy staying in Del Mar to get away from the traffic. All around great hotel! And not to mention the cookies at check-in!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeDelMarGM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2010

Thank you very much for your review and for returning to the Doubletree Del Mar! On your next visit board our complimentary shuttle to the beach which will allow you more time to enjoy the waves and less time looking for a parking spot!

Reviewed October 16, 2010

I stayed at the Doubletree in Del Mar for two nights during a business trip in October.

Pros:
-Rooms. Clean and well appointed. Bed was comfortable and double blinds sealed out all light from the adjacent parking lot. Nice, spacious bathroom.
-Bar/Restaurant. Despite alternatives within driving distance, we ended up back at the Doubletree bar both nights of our visit. The food is good and the multiple large TV's indoors and gas fireplace tables on the patio make it an appealing spot to hang out and enjoy some drinks. Our waiters and bartenders were friendly and made us feel at home.
-Location. The Doubletree was very close to to our client site and convenient to Route 5, so getting to and from the airport was easy. A car is required to get to the beach, or shopping and dining.

Cons:
-Lack of free internet in rooms. This is just inexcusable and a big reason why I dinged the hotel on value. Both the wired and wi-fi options in the room are $10/day.
-Elevator outage. The Doubletree has two elevators, but one was out of service for the three days we stayed. This meant LONG waits for the one operating elevator and overcrowding, particularly in the morning. At five stories, the property really needs both elevators operational and I'm hopeful that service was restored following our departure.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the Doubletree Del Mar.

Thank you for taking the time to review the Doubletree Del Mar.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while one of our elevators was out of service. The maintenance required to upgrade the door mechanisms took longer than expected but both elevators are now up and running!

The Doubletree Del Mar team looks forward to welcoming you back to San Diego the next time business brings you to San Diego - America's Finest City!

Reviewed October 14, 2010

A MAJOR Priceline BARGAIN. Beyond a bargain.......the hotel, the service, the room, the bed....all excellent.....A bit away from the beaches, but in the end I am glad we didn't stay anywhere else. A very nice bar/restaurant, great pool with very plush towels, nice fitness center, free fresh coffee in the lobby. Upgraded to a PUR room....TOTALLY WORTH IT. The room was VERY clean and I had zero problems with my asthma.
FREE parking. VERY pleasant front desk and restaurant staff.
I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. PS the cookes AND the apples were great.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review.

We are very happy that you had a great guest experience at the Doubletree Del Mar.
Many of our guests that suffer from allergies are enjoying a better night's sleep in our PURE Allergy Friendly Guestrooms, with specially treated air and surfaces and hypoallergenic bedding encasements.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

Upon arriving this location the parking lot was spacious, clean and well lit. The front dest agents were helpful, and quick w/the fresh cookies for me and my family. The room was more than we expected. The bedding, and pillows were extremely plush and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and up to date. The flat screen tv was definitely nice to have in the room. The pool area was extremely family friendly. The pool was heated and the kiddie pool was a total plus for my little ones. Our family loved our stay at this location!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your review of the Doubletree Del Mar. It is always great to hear when we exceed our guest's expectations.

We hope that your family chooses the Doubletree Del Mar on your next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed here for a few days while enjoying a stay-cation in San Diego. The hotel is conveniently located about 20 minutes from Sea World and the San Diego Zoo and there were plenty of restaurants, both high-end and casual, for easy meals.

Entering the hotel's parking lot is slightly tricky, but if you miss the first driveway, you can turn at the next light and enter via the business park entrance. The front desk staff were a joy to deal with and everytime our kids walked up to the desk, they were readily presented with warm chocolate chip cookies (yummy).

The hotel and our room were very clean, but I was disapointed with the lack of a safe in the room. Most rooms provide a safe, so I took it for granted that there would be one and I was sadly mistaken (lesson learned).

I've read several reviews complaining about the thin walls, but I can't say that this was my experience. Additionally, we asked for a poolside room (which we received) and the view was great. Our kids could play in the pool while we watched them from the room.

Speaking of the pool, it was great! It had plenty of room to move around, plus there was a small wading pool and a separate jacuzzi. Since the hotel is located within a business park, there weren't very many families staying here, so we didn't have to deal with a gaggle of screaming children. Don't get me wrong, we traveled with our kids, but they're older and I just don't have the patience for young, screaming kids. My only complaint (of the pool) is the landscaping. The jacuzzi sits right beside a huge palm tree that drops flowers and other matter into the water, making it difficult to soak without becoming covered in this stuff.

My only other complaint, is the elevator situation. Both elevators have a rear door that is used by the cleaning staff. I am not above riding on an elevator with service staff, but I DO NOT appreciate being packed in like a sardine with 5 maids and their laundry carts. The elevators (comfortably) fit 5-9 adults (9 being on the generous side and only if you have no bags). As I rode down from the 4th floor, the elevator stopped at each floor and the maids ( who failed to use common sense) just kept shoving themselves in with their carts. I had to paste myself up against the wall to avoid having my feet rolled over by one of the carts. I appreciate efficiency and making the most of a space, but that should not come at the expense of guests.

Our room rate included daily breakfast, which was pretty good. I can't say that the food was anything to brag about, but it was convenient and the servers were very attentive. Also, the free parking was great!! Most of the area hotels charge anywhere from $15-30 PER DAY for parking.

Overall, I was happy, but without the cookies it's just any other hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your review of the Doubletree Del Mar and for allowing me the opportunity to address your concerns.

• Though we do not have safes in our guestrooms; we do have safety deposit boxes available for our guest's valuables.
• Since your visit, the Doubletree Del Mar has been busy with outdoor renovations that include landscape improvements, beautiful resort style furniture and inviting fire pits that enhance our patio and pool areas.
• We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while using our elevators. The property was limited to one elevator while the other was being upgraded to allow them both to be more efficient.

The Doubletree Del Mar team looks forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to sunny San Diego!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Diego
Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar
#67 of 278 in San Diego
San Diego Marriott Del Mar
#112 of 278 in San Diego
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego - Del Mar? Share your experiences!